Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What States have the least Military Presence?  (Read 5905 times)

Summerlin

• Student.
What States have the least Military Presence?
« on: July 29, 2003, 06:18:24 pm »

I think this is a very important criteria...  Military subsidies and all in mind...

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:What States have the least Military Presence?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 06:48:40 pm »

NH has absolutely no active duty military bases. We have a few air guard and a number of national guard armories around the state, plus a coast guard detachment, but that is it. The last NH military base, Pease Air Force Base, was closed and converted to civilian use over a decade ago.

Portsmouth Navy Yard, in Portsmouth Harbor, is located on an island belonging to the state of Maine, according to the US Supreme Court.

From a sovereignty standpoint, this is beneficial, since it takes the governors approval for any out of state military units to move through the state. Thus NH fulfills the original intent mandate of 'no standing armies', and the feds would REALLY have to trample the tenth amendment if they wanted to do anything here.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 07:12:58 pm »

NH has absolutely no active duty military bases. We have a few air guard and a number of national guard armories around the state, plus a coast guard detachment, but that is it. The last NH military base, Pease Air Force Base, was closed and converted to civilian use over a decade ago.

Portsmouth Navy Yard, in Portsmouth Harbor, is located on an island belonging to the state of Maine, according to the US Supreme Court.

From a sovereignty standpoint, this is beneficial, since it takes the governors approval for any out of state military units to move through the state. Thus NH fulfills the original intent mandate of 'no standing armies', and the feds would REALLY have to trample the tenth amendment if they wanted to do anything here.

Good for NH!  Looks like I'll bump it up on my list from last to at least 5th.

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 10:59:11 pm »

Not many takers on the Military aspect?  Well, I can assure you this is very important.

In fact, I may bump NH up a bit more since it has no active military bases, this is a *HUGE* plus.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 06:52:43 am »

Well perhaps more of a plus than you realize.  A military base brings with it a lot of civilian jobs in the support role.  As well, the military person ell represent economic activity to the surrounding towns, and retirees tend to like to be within a decent distance of them as well.  The pentagon thinks we have way more bases than they need, but congressmen are loathe to allow a base in their state to close, so do whatever they can to assure that doesn't happen.

While I can't say that any candidate state has one or more bases that the pentagon would rather close (I'm sure someone doing some digging could determine at least part of an answer to this, but it's a moving target), one could postulate that if the FSP state were to lose a military base it could be a rather devastating economic impact.  The next round of base closures is scheduled for 2005.

Picking a state without any military base presence removes this item of uncertainty from the equation, so if only for that, it's a very big plus.

Number_6

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 08:54:36 am »

The candidate states in the East have a much smaller military presence.  ME has tankers based at Bangor Airport, and I think there are also tankers based in NH based at the former Pease AFB (??).

I am not contradicting Mike here, because Pease was indeed closed back in 1991.  It's just that there may still be some tankers based at the facility.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no military bases in VT.

The Western candidates have a much larger presence.  The heart of America's land-based nuclear deterrent is based at installations in ID, MT, ND, SD and WY. Their assets include ICBM's, bombers and tankers.

AK also has a substantial presence.  The government is in the first phase of building the ballistic missile defense, and there are several Army posts and Air Force Bases.  Wolverine, feel free to speak up if I've left out any Naval Stations.  Summer, hope this helps   :)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 09:17:36 am »

Pease is a SuperFund site for the various contamination the AF left behind, but a cursory search doesn't mention any active or reserve military presence remaining.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 10:21:52 am »

I consider the  military base factor quite highly for a lot of subjective reasons.

The last time we researched this topic,  we found that only Vermont was lacking a military base.  Now NH supporters seem to present that some of our info was erroneous in that NH was in the same general situation as the other candidate states.

The poster named Glen, who lives not very far from Mountain Home Air Force Base stated that it is only a strategic air division housing one wing of tactical fighters, nothing more, and the only base that is located in Idaho.  He said it is also very much unlike nuclear-armed bases in Eastern Montana and Cheyenne, Wyoming.

From my previous research of most militarized states among our candidates:
#1 Alaska
#2 Wyoming
#3 Maine
4. North Dakota,  Montana, Delaware
5. . . ? . . .
10. Vermont

Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 10:33:46 am »

I believe that Mike and Jon M. are correct.

Sorry, I don't know much about this whole topic, but I live only 10 or 15 minutes from Pease so if there is something I should go and look for, let me know and I will. The last time I was there (last summer) all I recall seeing was the airport, bus station, doctors' offices, a number of private businesses, etc. (i.e., no tankers)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 10:35:25 am by Michelle »
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 02:12:37 pm »

From my previous research of most militarized states among our candidates:
#1 Alaska
#2 Wyoming
#3 Maine
4. North Dakota,  Montana, Delaware
5. . . ? . . .
10. Vermont

This is a huge negative for Western States...  I wish more voters were informed with this information..

I think I'm going to put Vermont at #1, and bump all Western States down quite a few notches...
Pages: [1]   Go Up