Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Build an earthship?  (Read 15208 times)

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
Re:Build an earthship?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 05:25:12 am »

www.aidomes.com for concrete geodesic homes, cheap to build, less than half of the heating/cooling costs of normal houses, and will stand up to anything.

www.monolithic.com for monolithic dome houses, a little more money, smoothed shape instead of geodesic, and I believe a bit stronger.

I am planning on a geodesic kit.

I bet if local planners veto any building plans they'd just call them "ugly". But I think they look like the Skywalker ranch on Tatooine.  ;D Just vote those punks out of office by telling local voters who are part of the two Star Wars generations about them not allowing fellow Star Wars fans the chance to build their own Skywalker water harvesting ranch.  :P

edit:

ps Roger Dean, who did the artwork for many rock album covers you might recognise, developed similiar sprayed concrete designs for alternative housing and even large-scale community designs.   :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 06:06:18 am by mark »

rodschmidt

Are tires toxic?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2003, 05:45:25 am »

My only concern is that I'm not thrilled about the use of tires.  I've heard bad things about "toxic tires" in landfills.  The site says that its not a problem, and that the tires don't break down into toxic compounds when they're used in rammed earth construction, but I'm not entirely convinced.  I'd need to get some third party reassurance before I went ahead with it.

Tire Crafting FAQ
http://www.tirecrafting.com/04FAQ/04faq.htm

4. Are tires toxic?

This question is asked often. We are not chemists, but from our extensive and on going research since 1983, which includes OSHA, EPA, USDA, “TOXICS A to Z”, Material Safety Data Sheets, and others, we are convinced that nothing leaches from a clean tire while in it’s solid form.

If you would like a free copy of the research that brought us to this conclusion, just ask, and include a self addressed, stamped envelope.

If you have any facts concerning tire toxicity, we and our readers would appreciate this information.

Re: Arrested for collecting tires for an Earthship!
http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/essa/nov97/0080.html
In Wisconsin, your are required to file a 4 page permit request to the DNR for the aquiring of tires.

rodschmidt

Re: Are tires toxic?
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2003, 06:13:41 am »

http://montana.sierraclub.org/news_tires2.html

Tires are composed of styrene and butadiene, which are both being classified as human carcinogens; extender oils, which contain carcinogenic benzene derivatives; up to seventeen different metals, many of which are toxic; and carbon black, a fine particulate matter produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. Tires are not considered a hazardous substance—until they are burned.

http://flux.aps.org/meetings/BAPSGEC96/abs/S280001.html
Evaluation of Ash Toxicity Generated From the Thermal Plasma Pyrolysis of Used Automobile Tires

http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/applnote/app-37a.htm
Volatile Organic Emissions From Automobile Tires

http://www.mde.state.md.us/Programs/LandPrograms/Recycling/Education/auto.asp
About Tires

Nearly 200 million used passenger tires are generated each year.

Tires are recycled into products like hoses and doormats. Others are burned as fuel or retreaded and sold again.

Approximately 400 million gallons of oil are saved each year due to the retreading of tires.

Properly inflated tires extend wear and increase the ability of a tire to be retreaded.

Under-inflated tires can waste up to 5% of a car's fuel.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/environment/research/shredded_tires_paper.html
Chemical analyses performed on the chipped tires and wood chips leachates and the control water.

http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2002/01/01072002/tire_914.asp
Beneficial role found for used tires

http://www.organictree.com/Toxic%20Zone.htm
Tires are a toxic waste when they are burned. Tires are made out of materials that are considered toxic when they are in liquid form.  These are released when they are burned.  

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:rtaR4WcmOgoJ:www.ilgard.ohiou.edu/em/environmental_ed/greensweep/FactSheets/ScrapTires.pdf+tires+toxic+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
There are many examples of practical, effective uses for discarded tires, including:
• filler in new tires
• molded goods and manufactured parts, ranging from doormats to jewelry
• automotive applications
• artificial fish habitats and erosion control in national forests
• landfill cover, composting medium, drainage systems and absorbent

One of the fastest growing markets for recycled tire rubber is playground cover. Playgrounds can be a source of great happiness and joy for children, as well as a source of injury. According to the Mayo Clinic, about 70 percent of playground injuries are a result of falls. While various materials provide shock protection, some of the most protective surfaces are being provided by scrap tire derived materials. The two types of rubber playground surfacing materials on the market today are loose fills and solid mats. Loose fill consists of washed chips of rubber that are free of asbestos, fiberglass, and all non-rubber materials. Mats can be either pour in place matting or conventional matting that is one large piece or smaller pieces that lock together. Some advantages of tire derived playground cover are:
• non-flammable
• clean and non-toxic
• does not produce toxic leachate
• resilient
• does not attract or maintain moisture
• economical, lasts for years
• reduces dust and mud around playing area
• does not attract cats, dogs, rodents or insects
• will not rot or decay
• not susceptible to reduced performance due to rainy weather or freezing temperatures

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2003, 09:32:32 am »

Are building codes in NH set by state, county, town or all of them?

Need to make sure I'll be able to build my dome before I buy.   ;D
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Zack Bass

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2003, 09:48:10 am »

You're outa luck.  Just last year (or this year) they passed a STATEWIDE BUILDING CODE that every single new building in the entire State must abide by.  No County or Town or City can possible opt out of it.  The Statute states clearly that any County Building Code must be at least as harsh and restrictive as the State Building Code.

The good news is, Dalton has no Zoning, so we can build a patchwork of tenements, shops, factories, and houses - although they will have to conform to the Building Code.  It's already Incorporated, so the County can't suddenly impose Zoning.

Zack Bass

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2003, 09:51:30 am »

I don't know what kind of fancy formatting one of you is doing on this thread to make the page extra-wide (thus creating horizontal scroll bars on my browser), but cut it out.

Yes, I do know.  It's that long URL.  You can put in a short description between  the open tag and the close tag; don't repeat the entire URL there!  That's the purpose, so long URLs will show as manageable strings.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 09:55:24 am by Zack Bass »

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2003, 10:23:31 am »

You're outa luck.  Just last year (or this year) they passed a STATEWIDE BUILDING CODE that every single new building in the entire State must abide by.  No County or Town or City can possible opt out of it.  The Statute states clearly that any County Building Code must be at least as harsh and restrictive as the State Building Code.

The good news is, Dalton has no Zoning, so we can build a patchwork of tenements, shops, factories, and houses - although they will have to conform to the Building Code.  It's already Incorporated, so the County can't suddenly impose Zoning.

Thanks Zack.

I'll go look up the code at the NH Statutes site and see if it would prevent any of these alternative houses.

Unless someone here knows already.  Let me know if you do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 10:40:39 am by Reaper »
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Zack Bass

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2003, 12:11:07 pm »

I'll go look up the code at the NH Statutes site and see if it would prevent any of these alternative houses.

I'm not saying that the Building Code Rules are in the Statutes; they merely enable some guys to make up and enforce Codes.
In Florida, for example a lot of what the State says you must obey is in the "Florida Administrative Code".  You don't have a copy.

Often Building Codes on Florida are in COPYRIGHTED books, and you have to buy the book to find out what Rules you must follow.  Sweetheart deal for the Publisher, obviously.
Once upon a time in Florida there was some minor Government functionary, or maybe he was a private contractor, I forget, but I know he was making the text of the Building Code available free to the Public.  He had paid for one copy, or his Department had bought a copy, and he was, I think, serving it up on a Web site or something.  He got into a LOT of trouble, threatened with CopyRight Violation etc.  Pure corruption.

There is a similar scam in Legal Journals.  Most Courts require that all citations be made in a certain format; that format is copyrighted by, I believe, a company called WestLaw.  There are books that contain the exact same citations, but in another format, and they are a LOT cheaper.
Once upon a time there was a legislator who tried to pass a bill stating that legal cites could be done by "Chapter-and-Verse", just like in the Bible, so everyone could bypass WestLaw and use cheap books.  He, as you can tell, got nowhere.  The WestLaw Lobby is purest Evil
Please note that WestLaw doesn't own the copyright to the Court decisions themselves, only the Format.  And they're making an undeserved bundle on it.

I say, if a government requires that you follow a Rule, it must make that Rule available to you without charge.  How much does a Web site cost anyhow?

tlekas

• Welcome to NH!
    • The Lekas Family Page
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2003, 02:33:06 pm »

There is a law about this.  See - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/155-a/155-a-2.htm  Note that the code can only be enforced localy, not by the state except for state buildings.

I was not aware of this one.  I did not notice it when it was passed.  One thing to note when I or anyone else posts particular laws, there are often more than one law that effects an activity.  There is also the question of case law.  Part lawyers job is to be aware of all law that might effect their area of specialization.  They should also know about any case law and the actual legal and political realities.

The first step might be to contact a real estate agent who is familiar with the area.  They might be able to let you know if there will be a problem.  However if no one has tried to do something similiar they may not know.

If you are actually going to spend the money to buy land and build an unusual home I suggest contacting a lawyer in NH who could answer these questions.  If a group is planning to do something similiar you might be able to split the cost.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2003, 02:49:50 pm »

Yeah, somebody needs to justify their margins or something like that.

Zack Bass

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2003, 05:17:40 pm »

What does that mean?  You mean like SetBacks?  Or Profits?  Remember, we don't have to worry about Zoning at all!

Once we Liberate Dalton and change its name to West Berlin, we can stop all Enforcement of this crapp.  The problem is getting in the door.  If you can wait a while to start building, I (as the new Building Inspector) can guarantee that you can build any damn thing you want there, I don't care if it crashes to the ground the next day, that's on you, it's your PRIVATE PROPERTY THAT YOU OWN.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2003, 06:15:45 pm »

Umm...I was just talking about people's posts stretching off the side of the screen.

;D

What does that mean?  You mean like SetBacks?  Or Profits?  Remember, we don't have to worry about Zoning at all!

Once we Liberate Dalton and change its name to West Berlin, we can stop all Enforcement of this crapp.  The problem is getting in the door.  If you can wait a while to start building, I (as the new Building Inspector) can guarantee that you can build any damn thing you want there, I don't care if it crashes to the ground the next day, that's on you, it's your PRIVATE PROPERTY THAT YOU OWN.

adonis79

• FSP Participant
  • TheFlowerOf SafetyLiesWithin ThePerilousThorns
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2004, 09:18:48 pm »

I loved living in these : ) they are cheap and very versatile http://www.yurts.com
I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.
And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of freedom becomes a harness to you,  and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfillment.
Kahlil Gibran

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2004, 02:34:58 pm »

Abolishing this should be a top priority. Along with abolishing the State Property tax education mandates.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2004, 04:55:17 pm »

You're outa luck.  Just last year (or this year) they passed a STATEWIDE BUILDING CODE that every single new building in the entire State must abide by.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/bldgcode/bldganswers.html
Q. DOES THE CODE COVER THE ENTIRE STATE?
  A. The State Building Code applies to all buildings in New Hampshire, excluding one- and 2-family dwellings.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up