Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Education  (Read 1907 times)

WC

Education
« on: October 03, 2003, 03:46:41 pm »

I'm very interested in the movement, but have a few questions. I'll just address one for now. How would education be funded - if at all? Am I to understand the FSP is against all public education? How would our children have access to affordable education under that sort of system? I'm very intrigued by this proposal. Thanks in advance for responses.

underwater

• FSP Participant
  • A Normal Geolibertarian
Re:Education
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 04:25:23 pm »

Public education is not free. Parents, and their neighbors, pay taxes in order to support a monopolistic public education system. This system does not work and fails to educate children. Education is perhaps the most important product that parents can buy for their children. It is more important than a fancy car or cool TV. Yet, parents endlessly shop around for the best car or TV while they just dump their kids into the nearest government-run propaganda camp. If you think about it, every year parents must pay taxes - even after their children have left school. In essence, they are paying "a debt to society" for supposedly educating their children. What if, instead of having to pay "a debt to society," these same parents had to pay "a debt to a bank?" That is, they take out a 30-year loan and buy the best education they can for their kids. If parents can do this for a house they can definitely do it for private tuition (which should cost less than $50,000 for 12 years of primary/secondary education - about $160 a month over 30 years – and it might be a lot lower once competitors enter the market). I would support a means-tested voucher system for parents that can not afford $160 a month to educate a child. Hopefully, though, this voucher system could eventually be run by charities and not the state government.
- I will only vote for people that live in my local community and that are willing to meet with me to discuss the issues.
- I will only pay a tax (preferably a LVT) that is levied by my local community and spent on local infrastructure improvements and security.
- To me, FedGov does not exist.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 04:41:08 pm »

WC,

The answer to your question is that we plan to replace the need for public schools via the LSF (Liberty Scholarship Fund).  We will also deregulate education in order to lower costs.

The purpose of the Liberty Scholarship Fund is to drastically increase the educational opportunities available to K-12 children by acquiring charitable donations and channeling those funds directly to families in New Hampshire.  Granting K-12 scholarships encourages the development of new institutions of private education, promotes competition between existing institutions, and liberates the population from dependence on public school systems.

I hope this answers your question.

Please e-mail me at mikef@custom-tech.biz if you would like to volunteer for the Liberty Scholarship Fund!

Thank you!
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 08:08:08 pm »

Underwater said it very nicely and as LeRuineur stated we are workin on charities.  There are also religious groups that can help.  It will take some time to reorganize the education system but here's some of what motivates me personally.

I have 5 children of which 4 are currently in school.  I do believe parents should have more control and responsibility over their childrens education.  In New Hampshire the average of public education for K-12 grades for the 2000-2001 school year was an annual $8,480 per student.  In CA now I believe the number is around $10,200.  The amount of taxes going to pay for my 4 school age children is ~$40,800.  If my children spent as much time studying at home as they did in school, I know they would learn more and I would have more of an ability to direct their education in ways I feel would be more valuable.  By the time my 5 children are finished with K-12th grades, $663,000 in taxes will have been paid.  In the current public school system there is almost one (0.92) administrator per teacher.  My wife stays at home and most the older kids study on their own.  For homeschool, $663,000 would provide more than amble materials to keep my children busy with more room for creativity and individuality.  Private schools cost around half of what public schools cost and the remaining ~$330,000 could be used to send them through college or buy a couple homes for when they graduate and still allow them a typically better education as well as avoiding some of the national curriculum.

In the short term vouchers can help the transition.  In the long run all of us as parents need to ask less of the general public and become more responsibility for the lives of our children.  We already have the teachers and the schools.  We are also more than adequately paying to support them.  We need to merely move control of these away from D.C. and back into the hands of the people to promote competition in private education, save our tax dollars and improve the quality of our childrens education.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
Pages: [1]   Go Up