Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Can Us Foreigners Offer FSP?  (Read 3253 times)

reason

What Can Us Foreigners Offer FSP?
« on: October 02, 2003, 02:31:19 pm »

I'm a libertarian type who has been in the US for a goodly number of years. I might even be allowed to vote sometime after nanotechnology, personal jet packs and artificial intelligence are commonplace :)

My question would be what a non-voter and non-citizen can do to help the FSP. Is the ability to vote vital, or is it less important than being another active body to influence the votes of others? Is being a citizen a big deal? (In my libertarian worldview, barriers to citizenship wouldn't even exist; if you can become a productive, accepted member of a given community, why the extra paperwork?)

I'm looking seriously at signing up with the FSP and moving in a 2-3 year timeframe. Plans, plans...so this is a start on my due diligence. Comments appreciated.

Reason
reason@exratio.com
http://www.exratio.com

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
Re:What Can Us Foreigners Offer FSP?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 02:43:33 pm »

reason,

It's nice to hear from you!  I REALLY hope you sign up!  We need all the help we can get.  :)

Voting and politics are entirely secondary to our goals, at least in my opinion.  We need to replace the need for government programs FIRST and then get rid of them SECOND.  The idea is that when a government program is clearly useless and no longer needed, the people of New Hampshire will easily support its repeal!

The FSP needs help with two things right now:  recruiting and freeing NH as quickly as possible.

We need your help to recruit the next 15,000 members of the FSP.

Also, check out the link in my signature below for a list of charities and projects some of us are working on, none of which have anything to do with voting, and none of which will require US citizenship to participate in!

If you sign up, then welcome to the FSP!  :)
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 04:13:37 pm »

I would like to echo LeRuineur6's comments. While I may disagree slightly with him regarding level of involvement in politics, we certainly agree that not being able to vote should not disuade you from joining.  There is so much one individual can do to focus the already existing liberty culture of NH.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 10:19:19 pm »

Yes please come to NH!!!!! We need every Libertarian we can get to create a free state in NH. The ability to vote is absolutly secondary to your ability to recrute more people to our cause, remember Nh has over 800,000 registered voters. We can't win with votes unless we win their hearts and minds first. Plus foreign Libertarians will add to NH's cultural diversity and show the Liberals here that their assumptions that  Libertarians aren all psycho rednecks plotting Oklahoma style bombings are wrong.
P.S. NH is my home state and while cold it's beautiful and an ideal spot for our free state.
Hope to see you here where the best chance for true freedom lies.
 :)

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 06:59:48 pm »

I'm looking seriously at signing up with the FSP and moving in a 2-3 year timeframe. Plans, plans...so this is a start on my due diligence.
Like you, I'm not yet a permanent citizen, so I won't be able to vote (then again, I think that in 2-3 years I <will> be a permanent citizen), but I think it's just as important to spread the message as it is to vote. Whether I can vote or not when I get to NH, I'll make sure to make every effort to further the cause.
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 08:51:59 pm »

In my libertarian worldview, barriers to citizenship wouldn't even exist; if you can become a productive, accepted member of a given community, why the extra paperwork?

I like this and believe it's quite true. :)

Regarding help, yes activism is the way we're going to do it.  20K votes is only part of it.  Campaigning will triple or quadruple that, even if people aren't members or have even heard of the FSP and you can always come to NH anyway to enjoy the fruit of your labor :D
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

michLinoregon

• FSP Participant
  • Playing jacks in space!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 10:40:27 pm »

I think there are many many other beneficial things a non-voter can do. Such as open a business, work at a business, be a productive member of society...etc.

A successful community comes from having people around that are willing to be involved in each other's lives on a voluntary basis from mutual interest, it doesn't matter if they have an accent!! I hope to see you in NH  ;D.
Never give up, never surrender!

Daniel McGuire

• What's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 11:48:04 pm »

I'm not an attorney, but the NH constitution says that any adult resident can vote.  There is no restriction based on citizenship.  The relevant part is article 11:

All elections are to be free, and every inhabitant of the state of 18 years of age and upwards shall have an equal right to vote in any election.  Every person shall be considered an inhabitant for the purposes of voting in the town, ward, or unincorporated place where he has his domicile. ...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 11:48:48 pm by DanielHelman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up