Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unionleader welcomes catherders  (Read 3099 times)

Sycophants Go Home

• I'm a llama!
Unionleader welcomes catherders
« on: October 02, 2003, 06:21:07 am »

Editorials - October 2, 2003

Libertarian heaven:
Welcome to the Free State

LIBERTARIANS — with a small “l” — recently formed a group called the Free State Project in which all members agreed to move to the same state. The goal was to move to a place where government was strictly limited and individual liberty was highly prized — and make sure the place stayed that way. The group held a vote this summer to choose the state. To the surprise of few, New Hampshire won. Our prize: 20,000 politically active libertarians.

Some suspicious Granite Staters already have begun to ask whether the state can’t return this prize for something else — a toaster, perhaps. We do not share this sentiment. We think the prize will change little, if anything, about this wonderful state.

New Hampshire already has won an unofficial popularity contest among libertarian-minded people. Americans who value limited government and personal freedom have voted with their feet by relocating to New Hampshire for decades. It’s one of the reasons that fewer than half of New Hampshire residents are natives. The only substantial difference between members of the Free State Project and your average New Hampshire immigrant is that the Free Staters are organized.

There are those who fear that the Free State Project could forever change the political landscape in New Hampshire. Yet, were the Free State Project to succeed in transplanting 20,000 people into the state, its main achievement would be an influx of thousands of individuals who think more or less like most other Granite Staters think. Far from being worrisome, this is welcome.

Because organizing libertarians is like herding cats, we doubt the Free State Project will be able to round up 20,000 people for the move to New Hampshire. The group will be lucky to get a few thousand. But even if the movement meets its goal, that’s fine with us. The more Granite State voters who cherish liberty, the better.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
Re:Unionleader welcomes catherders
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 06:48:53 am »

New Hampshire already has won an unofficial popularity contest among libertarian-minded people. Americans who value limited government and personal freedom have voted with their feet by relocating to New Hampshire for decades.

Ain't it the truth!  :)

If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Sycophants Go Home

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 10:22:19 am »

And if it any consolation, The Manchester UnionLeader and New Hampshire Sunday News is so far to the right as to be nearly unreadable to anyone with an intelligent, open mind.  So while they say 'welcome', they also take the opportunity to insult their concept of libertarianism--truly ironic, as in a back-handed compliment.  Indeed, NH has a history of yankee republicanism, but the UnionLeader also has it's history--as a hyper-religious, moral majority waste of trees.  

But take the love when you can I guess...

BedfordCSE

• Connecting with freedom lovers everywhere.
    • Bedford Citizens for a Sound Economy (local chapter)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »

I think you are making a huge mistake -- when it comes to limited government, less taxes, and more freedom, the MUL is YOUR FRIEND.

True not all of us fiscal conservatives care about legalized prositution and pot, but that will be played out with the vote.
And truthfully, if I told you that moving here en masse and becoming active in groups like ours would help cut your taxes in half, wouldn't that be a good start?

The fact that we all want to get back to our constitutional roots and restore freedom in the likeness of what this country was founded upon is extremely empowering and should not be put asunder for the minor sub-issues that will work themselves out
in the end.

Pages: [1]   Go Up