Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire Information  (Read 10101 times)

Elwar

• FSP Participant
  • NH Bound.
New Hampshire Information
« on: October 01, 2003, 05:17:19 pm »

Ok, I know there has been a lot of information spread all about the reasons
to choose New Hampshire in this forum pertaining to no taxes and the political
system and all that. And there's probably been a good deal of talk of what it
has to offer. But with all of the states giving information about their states
it's been a lot of information to go through.

Now that we have one state, perhaps some of the residents can give us a
lowdown on what we've got.

What are the different parts of New Hampshire like? What are the different
cities like? What's the culture of the various areas? What are the industries
in the various cities? What are some media outlets we might be able to find
online for the various parts of the state? Where might we have the most
political influence etc.

There are going to be a lot of people deciding what part of New Hampshire
they'll want to live in.  So the more information the better.

:)
The worst thing that can be done to society is for someone to try to help society.

The Naked Porcupine

• Sometimes, you just have to set your quills aside!
Re:New Hampshire Information
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 06:16:36 pm »

One thing that has helped me get a little perspective... New Hampshire is geographically about the same size as the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.

(I define the Los Angeles area as San Fernando in the North, to Dana Point in Orange County in the South, Malibu in the West, to San Bernardino in the East).

I would think it should be possible to have monthly State-wide gatherings of porcupines, and weekly local gatherings without much difficulty.

Of course, finding a venue for 20,000 porcupines might be expensive to rent on such a frequent basis, and monthly meetings might be overkill. Semi-annual state-wide meetings of the general FSP membership might be more economical and useful.

Beyond that, porcupine leadership shouldn't have any problem gathering frequently.

Greg

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 09:26:55 pm »

Hi Elwar:

In short, se NH is very historic, has a port and a beach, and is fairly expensive. That's where Michelle Dumas, George Reich and Dan Belforti are from. South central (;) manchester, nashua) is the area of the cities, and most of the better paying jobs and tech work. Rich Tomasso is from there, and Manchester was the last city in the country to elect a Lib state rep (Steve Vaillaincourt, in 2000). Southwest NH (where I am, and Justin Somma - rdeacon - just moved to), is typical quaint New England towns, white churches, etc. Jumanji was partly filmed here in Keene. Central NH is the lakes region, near where Concord is, and just to the west of that is Grafton County, where John Babiarz is... Up north (Coos county) is VERY rural, lots of cheap land, and has towns named Jefferson and Freedom.
Lots more info can be found at
http://www.lpnh.org/nh-municipalities.htm , and you can check out different towns live at www.freestatenhlive.com .
Hope that helps.

JM
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 12:45:53 am by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Sycophants Go Home

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 10:02:38 pm »

Lesson

Concord is not in the Lakes Region.  

Jumanji was primarily filmed in North Berwick, Maine.  

Rural areas outnumber the urbans areas.  But rural means no broadband, no walmart, and infrequent plowing.  

Bring your bug dope, because black flies and noseeums have been advised of your impending arrival!

footballette

• Stop yer' cryin'
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 10:09:20 pm »

Bring your bug dope, because black flies and noseeums have been advised of your impending arrival!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Way to discourage 'em, sport.  Maybe you should add more about high rent for shoebox apartments due to property tax, perhaps something that will disobey the law of demand?

Sycophants Go Home

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 06:36:52 am »

hmmmm...disobey the laws of demand...let's consider this shall we?  

Currently the State of NH is experiencing and ever increasing rise in property values (in terms of sales--not taxes).  For the last decade the southern tier has been experiencing an affordable housing shortage.  This has led to a combination of obvious results (obvious to me at least).  Rentals are scarce and rents are high, in the southern tier.  Now, in the northern tier and rural areas, the infrastructure really doesn't exist for a rental market.  So even though there is far less demand, there is also a considerably smaller supply.  This really doesn't mean a damn thing until you actually look for a place and find out for yourself, but it is what it is as a subjective reality.  That is, we in NH did not build a series of posh, low-rent properties awaiting your arrival.  

Here's a tip for you folks--check the main papers for the area that interests you for rentals.  For real estate--go to this website and plug away--it is the equivalent of the MLS listings for the state:  www.nnerealestate.com  Also look into the 'I sold my house dot com' website.  

Good luck.  

Durus

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 08:45:36 am »

Well we've heard the liberals whine and now we have heard the "Conservatives" whine...like it matters.

Main Entry: sy·co·phant
Pronunciation: -f&nt also -"fant
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin sycophanta slanderer, swindler, from Greek sykophantEs slanderer, from sykon fig + phainein to show -- more at FANCY
Date: 1575
: a servile self-seeking flatterer

1) libertarians are not servile
2) self-serving people don't generally work together and sacrifice to meet a goal
3) libertarians are quite the opposite of flatterers
4) libertarians are not swindlers

My conclusion? You are ignorant of the libertarian philosophy and you are ignorant of the goals of the freestate project. Why does the idea of 20,000 people coming to NH, who want the state to adhere to the constitution, scare you so much?

Being from NH myself, I welcome it.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 09:15:30 am »

Welcome to the forums, Durus.... I am going to convert the site at www.freestatenh.com to a portal for information on helping people move to NH.... It's still stuck in the "Why to choose NH" mode... :D
Take care,.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 10:37:43 am »

Well, his handle might leave a bit to be desired from that point of view, and Sycophants's first posts had inclined me to think he was more of a troublemaker than a useful poster.  However, subsequent posts have attempted to be helpful, so I'd have to reconsider that opinion until more time has passed.

I'm willing to take people at their word until circumstances prove otherwise.  Some people will recognize what the FSP means and be happy (see the editorial in today's Union Leader), some will recognize what the FSP portends and be scared (see the Democratic party's statements).  

No matter if you're happy or scared, curious or amused, the FSP is an interesting attempt to take a stand against the erosion of personal liberty.  As a statement his handle is a bit confrontational, but not a statement many here should disagree with.  Nobody wants sycophants overrunning their town.  I would hope most people in this project who will head to New Hampshire can't be accurately labeled as thus.

Sycophants Go Home

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 10:42:26 am »

curious it is that some take a defensive posture towards the term 'sycophant'...

not all of you are, but some of you most assuredly are...I call it as I see it...

and yeah--I'm more than willing to assist good people in productive ventures...but if I can help weed out swindlers and their ilk...guess what Ima gonna do...?  

;)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 10:56:43 am »

Oh, I will not deny there are some sycophants trolling around here, but not enough to warrant a handle that would on the surface appear to paint everyone with that brush.  If you want a good sense of things, and have way too much time on your hands, read the Which State? archive.  You can upgrade your handle to a more accurate term after reading some of the vitriol.

DadELK68

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 11:41:42 am »

For some basic economic and demographic data, these sites may be helpful:

http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm

http://censtats.census.gov/

Or as an example of what the censtats site has for Derry, open the PDF file

censtats.census.gov/data/NH/1603317860.pdf

These were just a few links from a quick Yahoo! search.

I've lived in the heart of the infamous 'Southern Tier' for the last eight years - Hudson, Londonderry and Derry. There is ongoing rapid growth and property values have risen; in fact, if anyone is interested in moving within the next few weeks or so our house in Derry is currently on the market (we're moving about 1 mile into East Derry) - for more information you can go to NNERealestate.com and plug in a search for Residential Listing Reference Number: 117004 and/or call our realtor, Paul Yarmo at ReMax Hudson (a very honest and thorough realtor - I'd highly recommend him to anyone) 603-882-9900.

Otherwise, I can periodically check this thread to see if anyone wants more information (partly from a personal perspective, knowing the region and many people) of the area including Derry, Londonderry, Hudson, Litchfield, Windham, Pelham, Salem, Hampstead, Chester, Auburn, Raymond and Sandown, to a lesser degree the rest of the greater Manchester and Nashua areas.

Throughout this region, you find the socioeconomic trends are bimodal - the lower bell curve tends to be agricultural and blue-collar workers, both those whose families have been here for a while and immigrants. The upper curve tends to be dominated by white-collar immigrants (although some have been here for generations), most either working in the greater Manchester area or communting to financial, tech or management/executive jobs in MA. Those working in MA are having to pay MA income taxes, and this is a very sore issue for most - they are even more motivated to keep their other taxes to a minimum, making it very difficult to get property tax increases passed by the voters.

There are lots of apartments and condos/duplexes in a wide range of locations with rental costs reflecting this variety. If you're happy starting with a small studio apartment in or near the 'bad' section of Derry (consisting of a few square blocks in the downtown area) or a duplex/condo in a development on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale about 1/2 mile from the downtown area, you'll pay significantly less than if you want to rent a duplex/condo on a scenic road outside of town or an apartment in the Fairways.

Generally, it seems the more upscale (and therefore expensive) towns at this point include Windham, Londonderry and Hampstead. The more rural (with more affordable property values if you want to buy a larger plot of land) include Raymond, Chester, Auburn, and Sandown. Pelham and Litchfield are transitioning from mostly rural to more suburban but are less expensive than Windham, Londonderry and Hampstead. The highest-population towns (with some 'urban' neighborhoods along with lots of suburban and some relatively rural areas) are Derry, Salem and Nashua, followed by Hudson and Raymond. You'll find that property tax rates are lower in the more upscale communities, but because their property values are higher it's just about a wash.

The elected officials from this area are overwhelmingly Republican, many already leaning toward the small-L libertarian persuasion. In the last few years greater Derry has become considered a 'bellweather' community for statewide elections - we get a lot of attention every election cycle from candidates, press and pollsters.

This area wouldn't be as easy to 'dominate' as would some of the more rural towns/counties, but for those Porcupines whose socioeconomic/employment needs push them toward living in the greater Manchester area and southward (e.g., to commute into MA via I-93 and Rt 3), it might make sense to congregate as much as possible in a few towns. The two I would recommend as having the widest range of housing options and neighborhoods along with easy access to the freeways would be Derry and Hudson, although they are also higher in population. Next I would probably rank Chester and Litchfield, and possibly Auburn or Raymond - smaller-population communities as well as having moderate variety of housing options within reasonable distance of the freeways.

I don't have time to dig into a lot of detailed research on the governance, regulations, etc. of these towns, but will help when I'm able to do so and look forward to seeing what others unearth.

Eric
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 11:47:48 am by DadELK68 »

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 12:13:17 pm »

FWIW, the price of NH real estate must be considered relative to one's current locale.  From here in Newport Beach, CA, I have to say that the opportunity to buy 3 acres bisected by Cold River with street frontage and electricity hookups for less than 20K looks like almost free.  Here, a tiny lot goes for 600K, no river (beach in walking distance).   In fact, everywhere I look, land and houses seem far cheaper.

Of course, the lack of year-round perfect weather and the presence of insect (and other) pests no doubt contributes to this incongruity.  However, hailing from Houston and New Orleans originally, I know more about biting insects and inclement weather than any human ought to, and after wintering in both Dillon, CO and Hackensack, NJ, I think I understand the concept of cold. So, don't expect property prices or a few bugs to dissuade this particular porcupine.  :)

RS

Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House

JonO

• Lowerrtaxes
    • nhfamilymortgage.com
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2003, 01:31:49 pm »

My wife and I live in Merrimack, NH which is just below Manchester and just above Nashua.  We are VERY excited about The FSP choosing New Hampshire.  We have just signed up as tier 2 members.

In the Greater Nashua Area:

1 - 2 - 3 bedroom condo rents are about $800 - $1500
House rentals from $1200 - $2500

A single Family Home can be purchased for anywhere from $125,000 on up.

Condos can be purchased from $90,000 on up.

We'll help in any way we can.  If you have questions, please ask!
Lower taxes for all

JonO

• Lowerrtaxes
    • nhfamilymortgage.com
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2003, 01:33:02 pm »

My wife and I live in Merrimack, NH which is just below Manchester and just above Nashua.  We are VERY excited about The FSP choosing New Hampshire.  We have just signed up as tier 2 members.

In the Greater Nashua Area:

1 - 2 - 3 bedroom condo rents are about $800 - $1500
House rentals from $1200 - $2500

A single Family Home can be purchased for anywhere from $125,000 on up.

Condos can be purchased from $90,000 on up.

We'll help in any way we can.  If you have questions, please ask!
Lower taxes for all
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up