Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to help FSP'ers move and settle in.  (Read 6599 times)

Solitar

How to help FSP'ers move and settle in.
« on: September 01, 2002, 10:29:23 pm »

Elizabeth brought up a 2nd important subject in the thread Utopia is not an option (for a while, anyway)
Second will be the move.  This will take up to 5 years, and will entail all the regular move hassles plus the extra importance placed on building local relationships.  We will have to really help each other and come to the aid of the faint-hearted or resource-challenged to make sure a significant number of the signers actually make the move.  Welcome wagons, job and housing support, etc., will all be critical and require (gasp!) teamwork.
How and to what degree can this be implemented and thus given some incentive to more people to become members. Caution, though, that it not devolve into a bunch of freeloaders looking to mooch indefinitely off of helpful-to-a-fault FSP'ers.

Mega Joule

Re:How to help FSP'ers move and settle in.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 11:42:10 pm »

Quote from: Solitar

Elizabeth brought up a 2nd important subject in the thread:  Second will be the move.  This will take up to 5 years, and will entail all the regular move hassles plus the extra importance placed on building local relationships.  We will have to really help each other and come to the aid of the faint-hearted or resource-challenged to make sure a significant number of the signers actually make the move.  Welcome wagons, job and housing support, etc., will all be critical and require (gasp!) teamwork.

How and to what degree can this be implemented and thus given some incentive to more people to become members. Caution, though, that it not devolve into a bunch of freeloaders looking to mooch indefinitely off of helpful-to-a-fault FSP'ers.

This is an excellent topic in need of serious consideration.  It has come up in other threads on the forum though I could not now say where without some searching.  Some suggestions that might be considered:
1)   Early movers could compile information packets regarding housing, jobs, schools, real estate prices and availability, etc.
2)   Later, as more people become established, a directory of sorts that would help link up FSP’s.  This would not be a mooch resource list, but rather something that brings people together for a common good.  For example: I’m running a private school and I need a qualified teach with a libertarian background, so I list my job offer in the directory (which of course someone would have to commit to keeping updated) and I can then first consider qualified FSP members either in state or moving soon.  Likewise, when someone is preparing to move they could advertise their skills in the directory to see if any members need their services.

Just a couple of ideas that have been rattling around in my head.

Meg
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 07:20:08 pm »

I like those ideas and am definately on board with those. When the time comes I  feel that a resource list is something I would be more than happy to help with, (compiling/maintaining). Perhaps some sort of online database would be appropriate here in addition to any hard copy... that way updates are instantly accessable, decrease the amount of paperwork cost involved too. Just a thought... maybe you were already ahead of me on that

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 03:03:53 am »

I thought this might be another thread worth revisiting.  It was just speculatioin and brainstorming back then, but now many of us are months or even weeks away from moving.

Joe any new ideas?
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 08:38:13 am »

Anyone have a moving company??? Or maybe a truck that you can use to help move people, for a small fee?

synthbaron

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 12:48:55 am »

> Or maybe a truck that you can use to help move people, for a small fee?

Moving would be a good thing to organize with other fellow members.

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 07:34:56 pm »

Start out small, with links to useful state sites by individuals local to a state. It would be helpful to know where we are concentrating to help achieve saturation - e.g. move to same city, school district, etc.

OTOH, I doubt we will have a libertarian "ghetto" where the population is 80% is FSPers in a community - although that would prove interesting.

If it's NH, I'd start off being interested in reantals and duplex prices, duplex both buy and rent, for wealth accumulation/FSP building.
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 08:32:29 am »

What we could do would be to keep the FSP as a tight group, organized by region.  Each region would have an FSP "club", especially during the early stages when we only have 50-100 people per region.  This club would have research on real estate, jobs, tips for living in their area, etc.  They could help new members move in, give them information on good prices and deals in the area, and provide them with a strong social network for those awkward first months.  I am strongly in favor of a solid club-style FSP system in the free state, and this is just one of the many reasons.

cathleeninsc

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 02:47:52 pm »

I am leaning toward not taking anything when we move. We have no roots or ties (other than FSP) in any of these states and will likely not even have a job lined up when the time comes. I am thinking to store the few meaningful items that I own with relatives and just pack up the car with computer and clothes and such. Until I have a real good feel for our new home state, I don't think that I want to be tied down with a mortgage. It may take a few years and we might just rent until an area appeals to us as a retirement location.

Cathleen in SC

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 03:18:15 pm »

rd I think someone here mentioned a while back that a good model upon which to base a National-State-Local-Neighbrohood club organization is Toastmasters.  

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2003, 04:25:34 pm »

Yeah Dada, I was thinking of the same post when I wrote mine!  ;D

I think its a great idea, though we'll have to fight for the strategy of centralized organization within the FSP in the target state.  I've argued much like the US Army does: "we're here to defend democracy, not practice it".  Well we're here to create a libertarian society, but we're not going to succeed by acting like libertarians and not getting organized.

rodschmidt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2003, 03:31:09 am »

Well we're here to create a libertarian society, but we're not going to succeed by acting like libertarians and not getting organized.

Why must there be an opposition between being libertarian and being organized??

Does organization involve coercion or something?

Organization:  the process of becoming an organ

Horace the Heathen

• FSP Participant
  • All things are nothing to me.
    • FoneFresh.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 02:46:14 pm »

A few friends of mine and I were discussing/fantasizing about moving next year to NH and starting an anarcho-libertarian, secular, Hobbesian, minimalist commune.

We want to unplug from regular society completely (or as much as the gubmint bullies will endure before persecuting us).

We would buy a hectare of land or so in a remote, rural area and construct a "compound" out of multiple inexpensive steel buildings, a large greenhouse, and some alternative energy sources (and near a fresh water source). We have talked of welcoming any like minded FSP'ers (and, on a temporary basis, any of different mind, but tolerant and respectful of our ideologies while staying there). We'd incorporate and file with the IRS (Internal Racketeering Service) for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status, thusly avoiding taxes. We'd seek a donation from each visitor of $100-$150/month (an accountant amongst us crunched the numbers) to offset costs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 02:46:38 pm by Horace the Heathen Hedgehog »
The sacredness of the liberty, and all possible proofs of this sacredness, will never procure it; lamenting and petitioning only shows beggars.

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2003, 09:41:58 pm »

You realize, of course, that a hectare is all of 2 and a half acres, right?
I'd think you might be more interested in a square mile (640 acres) or so...
and that much land, even in Coos, is kinda on the expensive side (simply due to how much land we're talking...the cheapest I've seen was 1300 ac for 650k up in the Berlin area of Coos County.

*shrug*

Mostly, you're looking at 1-3k per acre, unless you're in the Seacost region, and along the Mass border (note, there -are- exceptions once you get inside most of the towns, but in general...)

-
J

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 06:38:49 am »

There are probably lots of other market anarchists who would support that.

I would hope though, that you right letters to the editor, and help our activism, to help make the entire state free.

TRacy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up