Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiring only FSP members  (Read 9734 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re:Hiring only FSP members
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 04:49:33 pm »

Maybe a better title might be hiring only FSP members and NH residents who join as friends?   They can't join as members since they can't commit to moving into the state they're already in....but if they join as friends I think they ought to get as much preference as any Porcupine.
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

michLinoregon

• FSP Participant
  • Playing jacks in space!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 04:58:13 pm »

Dada,

How would this be modeling good freedom for the people not yet sold on freedom? One should be able to hire whomever they please, but aren't we fighting against nepotism, affirmative action and hiring quotas? Instead shouldn't we be hiring those who are most qualified? If that is a porcupine or a NH resident who is a friend, good. But will there be a question on the application regarding one's political affiliation?

Never give up, never surrender!

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 07:39:02 pm »

Be careful about "Independent Contractors", the Fed's have laws against "over use" of such.

Likely it was rationalized with the idea that a "real" employer would have to provide health insurance, ensure OSHA compliance, and all the rest. By going through contractors, such expenses are avoided.

That is exactly the point, of course. The Fed.gov abhores anyone who finds a way around their regulations.

So while I agree completely with contracting as much as possible, be aware of the nasty gotchas that Washington has been creating. Their insinuation into hiring and labor has been long and very extensive.

Didn't everyone here read John Ross' "Unintended Consequences"?
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 09:08:35 pm »

Telecommuting and being paid in e-gold sounds interesting. I like the idea, but it's the translation between annon currencies and FRN's that becomes problematic.

Those IRS "guidelines" are interpreted, and there in lies the problem. Were they set in stone, someone would have a chance to work within them. Where they are only "guidelines", the auditer is the one with discression about what they really mean. I don't like that at all, and it's one big reason for my political bent.

Each of us, I expect, should create a "Doing Business As" or the like so that we can be hired as consultants by anyone, at any time. I believe that those "guidelines" really kick in if one happens to work for a single payer for more than one year. Something like that. It would be best to "spread things around" as much as practical.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2003, 12:38:58 pm »

I would object to hiring only FSP members.  We're supposed to be networking in the free state.  Shouldn't we encourage FSP businessowners to hire locals so that we can better spread the message?  naturally, we should support each other and hire each other whenever possible, but a policy of FSP-only is classist of us and it shoots us in the foot because networking through our careers is a good way to get exposure with others.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2003, 10:27:40 am »

Agreed, permanent employees require a lot of money these days.  Unless you're ready to pay through the roof for all the government compliance, you're probably not going to be able to afford employees by any traditional means.

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2003, 09:52:52 am »

Genetal contractor?  That doesn't sound like fun :)

Where in NH are you headed, or do you not care at all?  I've got a brother in Weare (where?), NH who is a carpenter contractor.  I don't think he does anything electrical, so I'll ask him if he has a need or knows of one.  He recently told me that business has taken off for him, so things sure sound good business-wise there.

Top Dollar

• I took the red pill.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2003, 12:14:34 pm »

Genetal contractor?  That doesn't sound like fun :)

Being a Genetal Contactor can be great fun and lucrative as well.
Hey, Wow!  Your planet is bright!

U.S. Constitution Text:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.text.html
U.S. Founding Documents:  http://www.constitution.org/cs_found.htm

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2003, 09:53:46 am »

Anyone with a reasonable intelligence knows that if they're going to skirt ridiculous and unconstitutional regulations, they need to proceed cautiously.

It's common in this day and age for people to be lied too about why they are being fired. That is because the government uses force to encourage such behavior.

Smart individuals, as you suggest, are very careful about the relationships they form within the workplace.

I studied this topic in a business law class years ago, and from what I know, it is perfectly legal in most any state, and under federal law to choose to hire an individual because of their political affiliation, but it is illegal to choose to not hire an individual because of their political affiliation.  ???

So,  basically as long as people who do not get hired do not lodge complaints against you and your company, you are safe from the law.  This brings up another point, and that is, the FSP is not a political organiztion per se, so it would be a difficult case to prove.

There have been numerous federal cases where employers have been ordered to re-hire or pay back-pay and so forth to individuals who were fired for their political affiliation.  One outrageous example I saw was where a waitress was an avowed Communist and tried to organize fellow employees after work to become Communists, for which she was fired, but the employer lost the ensuing lawsuit.

One other tricky area may be in job promotions and the most pernicious one is the all-encompassing sexual discrimination laws that now apply well off the jobsite and after hours.  Be very wary of revealing your political affiliation with potential enemies and then making any sexual/marriage/dating proposals with anyone, it is amazing how easy it is to use that one against you, even if their only motivation is to get you for being FSP or pro-freedom or libertarian.  
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

LibertyLover

• FSP Participant
    • Libertopia 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 12:29:45 am »

Rather than using FSP membership as a criterion, hiring workers as contractors and requiring the use of private, anonymous banking systems to accept payment can serve as an effective filter against die-hard statists.

Not only is this a great way to filter out die-hard statists but it is also a great way to find good workers with enough sense of personal responsibility to be open to the principles of freedom if they haven't been converted to them already.

If there is any way to structure your business to use independent contractors in the sense of people working independently to accomplish contractual tasks rather than just as a way to get around stupid employment laws, you get multiple benefits. People willing to work this way are generally more responsible and hard working than people used to working as employees (especially government employees). The system itself rewards hard work and initiative more than traditional employment does because it provides clearer indications of how valuable each contractor really is. FSP members may turn out to be the best workers because of their commitment to individual liberty and personal responsibility, and they may also be the ones most willing to work for results-based compensation. However, you don't have to discriminate in their favor if you find local contractors with the same qualities. If you happen to find quality local workers you can recruit as liberty activists, you don't have the conflict of interest issues you would have in recruiting employees for political activism. There may even be other benefits I haven't considered.
Libertopia 2010 -- a festival of freedom, community & art for sovereign individuals
http://www.libertopia.org

Creel

• FSP Participant
  • There is nothing Common about Sense
    • DS Instruction
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2003, 04:40:43 pm »

What sound does a porcupine make?

They make a low-grunting noise...I sat very still leaning against a tree and watched one climb an 8 ft chainlink fence.  but he couldn't get over the other side so he had to climb back down.  I sat there for about 10 minutes watching him scared to move because those spines are HUGE!
"Anger may be foolish and absurd and a man may be irritated when in the in the wrong, but one is never outraged unless he is in some way, at the bottom, right."

Victor Hugo "Les Miserables"

Aderiaj

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 09:12:55 pm »

What sound does a porcupine make?

Porcupines don't make much sound. They hiss when cornered. Outside of that the only time you hear them is the gnawing you hear when they are under your camp chewing on your beams.

I would like to take a crack at it and  say its a cross between a cows moo and a cats meow?
that was  a joke

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Hiring only FSP members
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 09:32:29 pm »

What noise does a porcupine make?

Well now that would depend on what caliber weapon he is using .
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up