Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laws affecting minors in the free state  (Read 6128 times)

Freestate

• Give me liberty or give me death
Laws affecting minors in the free state
« on: September 23, 2003, 05:24:02 pm »

Hi all,
I am currently 17.  In our current government, people under 18 with jobs are forced to pay taxes while the ability to vote is withheld.  I think this is extremely unjust as the lack of representation in the british parliment was an important reason for the revolution.  I am wondering about the position of the free state on these issues?  changing voting age, tax exemption for minors, protection from fed taxes for minors, etc.
Succession and a costal state may be our best option

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
Re:Laws affecting minors in the free state
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 06:26:40 pm »

Taxation without representation!  

Wasn't there a war over that?   ::)

I agree with you, but as it's a federal issue the state will be limited in what it can do.
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 11:35:45 pm »

Howdy:

Are there any state taxes that can be repealed?  If so, would the Free State repeal them?  What sorts of laws, if any at all regarding state taxes would be repealed?

Simply Curious,

Gandalf  
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 08:30:37 am »

Depends on the state.  Some states have income taxes and some don't.  Ultimately we'd like to see all state taxes repealed and replaced with some sort of user fee system.  

I don't expect it will happen overnight though.
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 11:26:09 am »

I don't expect it will happen overnight though.

Oh, of course not. :)  Hopeully it will happen eventually.
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

WalterGR

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 05:10:54 pm »

Depends on the state.  Some states have income taxes and some don't.  Ultimately we'd like to see all state taxes repealed and replaced with some sort of user fee system.  

Realizing also, of course, that some "user fees" would mean taxes.  Examples would be police and fire stations.  Unless, of course, you go to an all-volunteer PD/FD that depends 100% on donations/grants for funding.  Not very reliable.
A vote for the lesser of two evils, is still a vote for evil.
FSPer, NAHC Life, NRA Life, SASS Life, JPFO, TSC

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 10:00:44 pm »

Realizing also, of course, that some "user fees" would mean taxes.  Examples would be police and fire stations.  Unless, of course, you go to an all-volunteer PD/FD that depends 100% on donations/grants for funding.  Not very reliable.

True, true.  Perhaps we should have minimal tax.  In other words, only taxes that are necessary should be kept; the rest should be repealed.

demarkus

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 10:24:21 pm »

We will have little control over federal taxes. However, I see no reason why anyone who pays federal taxes shouldn't have a say in who represents the free state in Congress.
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
- Voltaire

Freestate

• Give me liberty or give me death
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 04:58:57 pm »

Hi all,
In our state, there seems to be a consensus that as soon as a person begins to pay taxes, they are eligible to vote.   I believe that volunteers/state employees man the polls, so it should be relatively easy to simply require proof of taxation in the state as proof of voter eligibility.
Thank you all for your input
Succession and a costal state may be our best option
Pages: [1]   Go Up