Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We're going to have a state soon.  (Read 4859 times)

EricTheBald

We're going to have a state soon.
« on: September 23, 2003, 01:35:51 pm »

Long story short...

A LOT of us are high tech / IT type people.

2004 is going to see a turnaround in the supply/demand equation in Tech jobs, but the target state is still going to have to absorb a lot of people in the tech sector.

That's going to mean that at least some of us are going to have to move there an CREATE jobs.

A few thoughts.

People in say, NY, who outsource tech jobs to say, New Hampshire, wouldn't get the same cash savings that they would get in going to india, but there ae huge tax implications. Furthermore, outsourcing jobs for a high COL (cost of living) are to a low COL area would still save money for the customer while not changing the lifestyle of the worker.

Simply put, if you can make 100k in one place or 75k in another place, but your standard of living is the same, do you care which place you work in?

Data Havens and Disaster Recovery Services are also in demand.

We can do Co-Lo services.

Not to mention, all sort of knowledge worker stuff like web design, movie rendering, whatever.

I could go on for a long time, but I wanted to just get a few quick concepts out there.

Bottom line...
What can we do to make businesses want to do business with a company based in an FSP area? What can we do for them that they can't get elsewhere?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.

chmod a+x /bin/laden

Karl

Re:We're going to have a state soon.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 01:55:05 pm »

Simply put, if you can make 100k in one place or 75k in another place, but your standard of living is the same, do you care which place you work in?

The difficulty with your argument is that many businesses, especially high-tech, need access to a base of educated employees.  That's why many hi-tech companies continue to choose to locate in "big government" places like DC, Boston and San Fransicso.  Its also why they don't locate in Casper, despite its low COL.

Also, people pay more for nicer places to live all the time.

Also, the "which state" debates are over.  Everyone's voted.  Its in fate's hands now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 01:59:35 pm by Karl Beisel »

EricTheBald

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 03:20:33 pm »

The difficulty with your argument is that many businesses, especially high-tech, need access to a base of educated employees.

They don't have schools in New Hampshire?
(Who are we kidding...?  We know it's going to be N.H.)

Also, people pay more for nicer places to live all the time.
"Nicer" is a very subjective concept.

The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.

chmod a+x /bin/laden

Karl

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 03:27:55 pm »

The difficulty with your argument is that many businesses, especially high-tech, need access to a base of educated employees.

They don't have schools in New Hampshire?
(Who are we kidding...?  We know it's going to be N.H.)

I got the impression you were arguing in favor of moving businesses from high COL places to low COL places like Wyoming.  Did I misunderstand?

EricTheBald

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 04:50:27 pm »

Yes & No.

I'm saying that some of US, who make the move, open up a company that provides a variety of internet and data services.

This is already an established business model and perhaps an existing company could be persuaded to move their operations to "our" state.
If not, then perhaps we could do it ouselves.

The important question that we need to ask ourselves is; what can an FSP company offer that other companies cannot?

I've probably oversimplified too much, but I just wanted to get the brad strokes across.

Regardless of how this notion turns out, we need to be cognizant of the fact that the early movers will NEED to help create jobs, or the FSP won't succeed.

chmod a+x /bin/laden

Elwar

• FSP Participant
  • NH Bound.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 10:42:23 am »

I work for a field site, our main company is based in Silicon Valley. As a
military contractor we were first brought here because of the local
military base. We got our contracts from some work at the base, just
a handful of people who moved here and became local.

Now those handful of people are the experts and we get our contracts
from other places outside of the local base. The pentagon and such.
The only reason we're still here is those people who have been here
for so long have localized. Any hiring we do tends to come from other
states as we're not in an area with a lot of local 'intelligence'.

So, a lot of FSPers will be skipping the first step. The 'we're here because
we're making money from a local source' step. So you have to jump right
to the 'we're here and are the experts, if you want to do X you need us
so you have to send your work to us in FS'.

Key thing is making people experts in something in a short time, which
is the hard part of skipping the first step.

That's just my experience anyway.
The worst thing that can be done to society is for someone to try to help society.
Pages: [1]   Go Up