Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Creation Vs. Evolution  (Read 26464 times)

telomerase

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free Or Die
Re:Creation Vs. Evolution
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2003, 11:39:06 am »

>So you are saying, no theory should be taught in school?

I don't see the logic behind having a government committee pick the theories taught in schools.  Let parents choose the schools (and the theories) for their children to rebel against.

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2003, 02:58:47 pm »

I agree.  

The parents should be free to send their kid to whatever school they want, teaching whatever view point they want, and at their own expense.  There should be no public schools funded by tax dollars.

/sarcasm on

I did find this really cool Creationism text book though:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/christianreader.html

/sarcasm off
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

MajesticLeo

• FSP Participant
  • Am neither Dahlai nor Lama
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2003, 05:10:28 pm »

>So you are saying, no theory should be taught in school?

I don't see the logic behind having a government committee pick the theories taught in schools.  Let parents choose the schools (and the theories) for their children to rebel against.

My point was this is the old "Theory of Evolution" vs "Belief in Creationism" argument all over again.  It is a false comparison since one is a scientific theory and the other is a religious belief.  Everything taught in any science class is a theory.

Now I guess you could have parents vote on whether to teach "The theory of Relativity" or "Genetic Theory" or not, but why??  Teaching the "Theory of Evolution" is no different.  Of course, the easy way is to teach nothing except basic math, english and some history, almost everything else is theoretical and it certainly would shorten the time spent in school.  
I'm off to be the Wizard!!!!

WalterGR

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2003, 04:26:27 pm »

My point was this is the old "Theory of Evolution" vs "Belief in Creationism" argument all over again.  It is a false comparison since one is a scientific theory and the other is a religious belief.  

No.  They are both scientific theories.  Or haven't you heard that many scientists believe in creationism?  

Or, you could say they are both religious beliefs.  As there is no conclusive scientific proof to back up either - so belief in either requires faith.

All I'm saying is: If one is taught as "fact" (as many schools do), the other should at least be mentioned (in an unbiased manner) as theory.  Since that's not likely, neither should be taught as fact.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 04:27:14 pm by WalterGR »
A vote for the lesser of two evils, is still a vote for evil.
FSPer, NAHC Life, NRA Life, SASS Life, JPFO, TSC

Zack Bass

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2003, 05:26:03 pm »

They are both scientific theories.

No.  One of them is no more scientific than The Tooth Fairy.

Or haven't you heard that many scientists believe in creationism?  

Anyone with a Hidden Agenda can get a college degree these days.  And with a little persistence he can get an advanced degree.  But no one who ignores Occam's Razor is entitled to be called a Scientist.

Reaper

• FSP Participant
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2003, 06:17:30 pm »

No.  They are both scientific theories.  Or haven't you heard that many scientists believe in creationism?  

Or, you could say they are both religious beliefs.  As there is no conclusive scientific proof to back up either - so belief in either requires faith.

Talk about mythinformation!

Have a brief read through here, just the FAQ, it won't hurt you:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html

Reaper

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

WalterGR

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2003, 01:16:12 pm »

Can you (or the scientific community) explain the polonium halos found in granite?  Science has been unable to explain these halos since they were first found in the 1960s.

As to the question of which scientists believe the creation theory - I personally have met 5 quantum physicists who are "creation scientists".  But I guess anybody can get a crackerjack doctorate, and get a job cracking atoms.  Eh? ;D

I guess we'll just have to disagree to agree on the validity of either theory.  

As I stated many times before:  Science is incapable of either proving or disproving a Creator.

Zack Bass

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2003, 04:42:42 pm »

I personally have met 5 quantum physicists who are "creation scientists".
Science is incapable of either proving or disproving a Creator.

That's why there is no such thing as a "Creation Scientist".
The guys you met must have been scientists who have a Belief in a God or Gods.

WalterGR

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2003, 05:11:27 pm »

That's why I put the term in quotation marks.  I used it because it is a widely-used term to describe scientists who believe in a created universe based on their individual scientific knowledge.

Zack Bass

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2003, 05:20:03 pm »

That's why I put the term in quotation marks.  I used it because it is a widely-used term to describe scientists who believe in a created universe based on their individual scientific knowledge.

It is not based on their scientific knowledge.  It's based on what their Mommy told them.

Reaper

• FSP Participant
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2003, 03:39:19 pm »

Can you (or the scientific community) explain the polonium halos found in granite?  Science has been unable to explain these halos since they were first found in the 1960s.

I won't be posting here again as the forum has been changed to "Just for under 21" and I am not.  However, I could not let this "polonium halos" mythinformation go uncorrected.  This was debunked long ago:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/po-halos/gentry.html

Reaper

etphonehome

• FSP Participant
  • Have a nice day!
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2003, 11:06:30 pm »

A scientific theory could be simply defined as a belief that one or more scientists has published, which is the result of many years of research. Evolution falls into the category of scientific theories because all of the fossil evidence points to the idea that at one time there was one set of less advanced species, and then later there was another set of more advanced species that superseded the first set, and then another set of species that superseded the previous set, and so on until the present time. That, in essence, is what evolution is: the gradual replacement of certain species with other species which happen to be better at surviving in the given environment. I have no way of knowing whether the evolution was directly guided by a creator of some sort, or if it happened by random chance. None of us have any way of knowing that, because we did not witness it. The point is that almost all of the available evidence points more and more to the idea that evolution did happen.

Creation, as described in the Bible, does not qualify as a scientific theory, because the evidence that has been gathered strongly indicates that the Earth, all of the species on it, and the entire universe around it took significantly longer than seven days to form, and that the Earth has been in existence for billions of years, not the thousands which is mentioned in the Bible. The fact that a scientist holds a particular religious belief does not make him or her any less of a scientist, but at the same time a religious belief does not become a scientific theory simply because a scientist happens to hold that belief.

As for what should be taught in schools, I think both creationism and evolutionary theory have their place. In a class about philosophy or religion, then creation beliefs, not only of Christianity but of other religions as well, would be a perfect topic for discussion in that course. In a biology course, where scientific theories about life on this planet are discussed, evolutionary theory is a great topic for study. However, creationism is not a scientific theory, so it has no place in a science class. To say that neither topic should be taught in a school is even more appalling to me than to have creationism taught alongside evolution in a science class. Evolutionary theory is a central component of modern biology, and to leave it out of a biology course because of the religious beliefs of a few would be a disservice to our children.
“With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.”
   â€”Captain Picard

lloydbob1

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 07:15:47 am »

Rodschmidt,
Please refrain from posting in the 'under 21' area.
Lloydbob1

Top Dollar

• I took the red pill.
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2003, 10:56:34 pm »

Do you have to be under twenty one inches to post here?
Hey, Wow!  Your planet is bright!

U.S. Constitution Text:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.text.html
U.S. Founding Documents:  http://www.constitution.org/cs_found.htm

erik

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2003, 02:45:31 am »

Zack you should get back on track with the evil genius theory, that always stirs up the religious folk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up