Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Creation Vs. Evolution  (Read 26465 times)

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
Creation Vs. Evolution
« on: September 22, 2003, 10:54:38 pm »

Just wondering, but

Who believes in the Theory of Evolution?  Who doesn't?  What are your reasons for believing or not?  Simply a conversation-starter,

Mithrandir, The Grey Pilgram
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

ZuG

• FSP Participant
Re:Creation Vs. Evolution
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 02:25:44 pm »

Just a note about your title:

Creationism and Darwin's theory of evolution are compatible with each other.

For example, one can believe that a Deity/Dieties created the universe, earth, and all of the basic creatures on it, set the conditions for evolution, and allowed it to proceed unhindered for some undetermined amount of time. This means that the creation story in Genesis is not meant to be taken literally (most denominations don't anyway), but is a figurative story about our origins.

That said, I'm an agnoistic who believes in the scientific theories of the big bang and all that jazz. But that doesn't mean it's not possible.
Before you post that comment, think. The people you are talking to will soon be your neighbors. Would you talk to your neighbor in the way you are talking to those on the forum?

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 11:30:33 pm »

Interesting...

I can't argue or disagree with you there.  I suppose it is possible that one person made the Earth and then let Evolution kick in and do the rest.  Thanks for your input.

Anyone Else?

Gandalf
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

WalterGR

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 12:55:12 pm »

As a Deist, I believe in a Creator - but don't believe any religion has the "Big Picture", or TRUTH.  I also believe this isn't the only so-called universe.  Perhaps the Creator came from another universe, or perhaps It created them all.  But the Biblical accounts of the Creator having multiple attempts to create "servants" (angels, beasts, and man) implies to me that man probably wasn't the last attempt.

And, if the Creator is all-powerful, why couldn't It speed up time and evolution?  Why would It need billions of years, if It had the power to control time?  The Biblical 7-day genesis could happen, with this theory.  And it would still "jive" with evolutionary evidence.

Just remember - science will never be able to prove or disprove the existance of a Creator.  Because such a Being defines the very laws of science, and is therefore beyond measurement by those laws.
A vote for the lesser of two evils, is still a vote for evil.
FSPer, NAHC Life, NRA Life, SASS Life, JPFO, TSC

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 02:54:07 pm »

I think that's a really good theory.  If a Creator was all-powerful  why couldn't he speed up time and evolution?  I don't think Man will ever prove of disprove the existance of an all-powerful Creator.  My way of thinking is:  If there is one God (or many gods)  who created all things, Cool!  If there isn't, Cool!  It doesn't matter to me.  

Gandalf

WalterGR

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 03:14:06 pm »

IMHO, the question of whether or not there is a God(s) is actually a preface to the REAL question.  Namely, "what happens when we die?"

Do we go to another existance?  (IE; heaven, hell, valhalla, limbo, etrusian fields, etc.)

Are we reincarnated?

Do we cease to exist?

Humankind has been trying to answer THAT question since the beginning.  And Isaac Newton only threw a monkey wrench in the machinery when he proved that energy doesn't cease to exist, but only changes form.

Zack Bass

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 03:15:31 pm »

I think that's a really good theory.  If a Creator was all-powerful  why couldn't he speed up time and evolution?

Absolutely right.
But that means it is a Malevolent Creator who recently started light traveling toward us at various times and distances, to arrive here as if it had been traveling from ancient stars for billions of years, intentionally to trick us.  This is a creep you do not want to worship!

WalterGR

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 03:33:19 pm »

No, no, no, Zack.  Think of it as the fast-forward on a VCR.

The Creator could have created the "Big Bang", then spead up time so to an outside observer it appeared a few billion years had passed in fast-forward, then slowed it down when Man arrived on the scene.

An atom created at the "Big Bang", or a ray of light, would travel the same distance whether through fast-forward or over billions of "normal" years.

Zack Bass

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 03:51:50 pm »

The Creator could have created the "Big Bang", then spead up time so to an outside observer it appeared a few billion years had passed in fast-forward, then slowed it down when Man arrived on the scene.
An atom created at the "Big Bang", or a ray of light, would travel the same distance whether through fast-forward or over billions of "normal" years.

Cool.  WHY?  The thing is just as malevolent.

WalterGR

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 04:06:14 pm »

Why?  Why??

I don't know.  Perhaps to give doubters something on which to base their doubt, and to challenge believers with.  After all, the Biblical God let Satan test Job's faith.

It's just a theory I came up with.  Which, IMO, is all Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Darwinism, The "Big Bang" Theory, etc, etc are.  Theories that someone came up with - but was able to "sell".

Do the "Sims" understand the Player?  Shakespeare, or someone writing under that psuedonym, claimed "all the world's a stage".  And what's a stage, but make-believe?  Perhaps our existance is just a diversion of make-believe for the Creator, as the "Sims" are a diversion to some of us.  Do we actually ask the "Sims" to worship us?  Perhaps the Creator doesn't care whether we worship It or not.

Zack Bass

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 04:14:31 pm »

Why?  Why??

I don't know.  Perhaps to give doubters something on which to base their doubt, and to challenge believers with.

Oh I see, it's an IQ test, like The Immaculate Conception:  If you're stupid enough, you get the Prize.

After all, the Biblical God let Satan test Job's faith.

Actually, Satan tempted God into tormenting Job as a sort of bar bet.  Satan didn't test anything; it was all Jehovah's doing.  Read it.

WalterGR

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 04:43:38 pm »

I was refering to the fact that the idea of the test was Satans, rather than Gods.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Here's another theory.  Everything was created instantly, but as if billions of years had passed.

Or another theory.  A day to us is one rotation of Earth, but a day to the Creator is one rotation of the universe.

As I said, as a Deist I don't think the creation can fully know the Creator or Its motives.  For all I know, the ancient Norse heirarchy of gods is the correct one.  Or maybe the ancient Greeks had it right.  Or the ancient Romans, who just absorbed every theology until Constantine forced them to abandon all "pagan" religions in favor of Christianity.

So, what should be taught in Free State schools?  Nothing.  Because it's all theories, and there's no way you can teach them all.  And it should be up to parents whether their kids are taught evolution, creationism, or left to decide on their own.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 04:45:35 pm by WalterGR »

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 06:13:19 pm »

So, what should be taught in Free State schools?  Nothing.  Because it's all theories, and there's no way you can teach them all.  And it should be up to parents whether their kids are taught evolution, creationism, or left to decide on their own.

Absolutely! Parents should have the right to choose whether or not to teach their kids about evolution, creationism, etc., etc.  The schools should have no authority over this.

Gandalf

telomerase

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free Or Die
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 02:48:07 pm »

All decent Simulator-fearing people know that the Universe was created five minutes ago, together with all our memories. And everyone who doesn't believe this is going straight to a reincarnation (um, rebooting) as a student in a Washington DC public school.

MajesticLeo

• FSP Participant
  • Am neither Dahlai nor Lama
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2003, 11:11:46 pm »

So you are saying, no theory should be taught in school?  That removes all the mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, etc.  Should be a short curriculum don't you think???
I'm off to be the Wizard!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up