Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lone Wolves  (Read 9381 times)

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
Re:Lone Wolves
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2003, 10:20:34 pm »

You know what I'm afraid of?
Porcupines like me.
Lone wolves who may move but then disappear.
Or they won't come out because the game is on.
Or they want to go fishing instead.
We don't want to be politicians that other libertarians will swear at.

Sadly, the statists do come out and they do vote and they do run for office.
While the lone wolves cry in their beer.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295

freedomroad

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2003, 11:00:35 pm »

Porcupines like me.

As long as you are an activist and spend part of yourself encouraging freedom I do not care if you fish.  Heck, I enjoy fishing.

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 11:10:38 pm »

Porcupines like me.

Yes, I'm afraid of this too.  I like watching the game as much as anyone, and enjoy fishing too, but we're moving to work within the political system to effect change, and I worry that libertarians are so rabidly individualistic that they just won't work together.  Instead they might choose to sit at their damn computers late at night, bitching about the sad state of affairs instead of doing something about it.  

If this sounds like you, do the project a favor and DON'T JOIN.  The FSP is for activists, not for couch potatoes who hate other people.  Send our candidates a check from whereever you are, and we'll work for freedom.  I love watching that member number climb as much as anyone, but we need to know that those aren't just people that signed up because they don't mind moving to live with other libertarians, we need to know that those are people who signed up because THEY WANT TO WORK FOR FREEDOM, either by running for office or volunteering for campaigns or lobbying politicians.  If this kind of stuff sounds abhorrent to you, please, consider your motives and ask yourself if this is really for you.

Thanks.   :-\
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

freedomroad

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2003, 02:58:33 am »

Porcupines like me.

Yes, I'm afraid of this too.  I like watching the game as much as anyone, and enjoy fishing too, but we're moving to work within the political system to effect change, and I worry that libertarians are so rabidly individualistic that they just won't work together.  Instead they might choose to sit at their damn computers late at night, bitching about the sad state of affairs instead of doing something about it.  

Some of these people (or 1,000s) might join the FSP.  The best thing I can thing of is to encourage them to not join as members but to help in other ways.  Or explain how great the FSP will be and encourage them to join to be a part of the fun.

Well, either way, we still might get some of these members.  I actually think we will and it will make a difference when I vote.  I am more likely to vote for the smaller populated/more libertarian leaning states like WY and AK because of this.  Likewise, I am less likely to vote for states that are either big/statists or just growing like crazy and that hurts ME and ID, IMHO.  

Of course, this is not one of the main factors I am looking at but an important one that cannot be ignored, IMHO.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything