Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: State-by-state cannabis laws  (Read 72835 times)

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
Re:New Hampshire Voters Support Medical Marijuana 84% to 14%
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2003, 06:40:54 pm »

I hope NH gets some decrim. soon, not that I'm urging the LP to do more than it is already. Maybe Medicinal marijuana can be an issue your liberal friends can take up. (if you have liberal friends, sadly many Libertarians only commune among themselves.)

In Nevada, the LP tries to pass along issues to our conservative or liberal allies when we're unable to work on them ourselves. I would think a similiar tactic in NH would prove just as beneficial.
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Sean Coven

• FSP Participant
  • I Hate Maryland!
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2003, 07:15:05 pm »

Med pot keeps getting introduced each year, by Derek Owen (D-34). It gets substantial support, but not enough.
Next year, however, it's coming back with bi-partisan support - I know - I've already been asked by a few state reps and a couple state senators from both of the old parties to testify for it... :)

JM

Wouldn't matter if it passed even with a super-majority....

It's a ban that's enforced by federal officers, and there's nothing the states can do to stop it. :(

freedomroad

Re:89% of WY House and most Wyomingites support Medical Marijuana
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2003, 10:56:55 am »

Wyoming Poll on Medical Marijuana
http://www.mpp.org/10statepoll/

"Suppose an initiative is placed on the November ballot that would remove the threat of arrest and all other penalties for seriously ill patients who use and grow their own medical marijuana with the approval of their physicians. What is your level of support for this ballot measure?"

All Adults
Support level= “strongly support” 42.4% - if you add the somewhat support = 65.3%
”somewhat support” 22.9%
”somewhat oppose” 13.9%
”strongly oppose” 17.1% - this is all we are up against
”not sure / no opinion” 3.7%

GOP
Support level= “strongly support” 30.5%
”somewhat support” 23.9%
”somewhat oppose” 17.0%
”strongly oppose” 24.8%
”not sure / no opinion” 3.7%

Dem
Support level= “strongly support” 58.8% - if you add the somewhat support = 82%
”somewhat support” 23.2%
”somewhat oppose” 9.7%
”strongly oppose” 6.4% - almost no opposition
”not sure / no opinion” 1.8%

Other
Support level= “strongly support” 50.1% - if you add the somewhat support = 71.1%
”somewhat support” 21.0%
”somewhat oppose” 11.5%
”strongly oppose” 11.9%
”not sure / no opinion” 5.4%
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 12:19:39 am by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2003, 11:04:47 am »

This telephone survey by the Lucas Organization is based on the interviews of between 1,004 and 1,464 adults in each of the 10 states, with a margin of error ranging from 2.6 to 3.1 percentage points. All 10 polls were conducted between February 9 and 16.

"If your own state legislators or members of Congress vote for a bill to allow seriously ill patients to use medical marijuana with the approval of their physicians, would you be more likely or less likely to vote for these elected officials in the November general election?"

All Adults
Support level= “strongly support” 42.8% - if you add the somewhat support = 65.3%
”somewhat support” 21.9%
”somewhat oppose” 12.5%
”strongly oppose” 12.5% - this is all we are up against
”not sure / no opinion” 7.1%

GOP
Support level= “strongly support” 31.4%
”somewhat support” 21.9%
”somewhat oppose” 21.9%
”strongly oppose” 21.5% - this is all the opposition a candidate would face in the GOP primary medical marijuana was one of his main issues (after he run the GOP primary the crossover votes from other parties would be HUGE)
”not sure / no opinion” 8.1%

Dem
Support level= “strongly support” 57.2% - if you add the somewhat support = 78.7%
”somewhat support” 21.5%
”somewhat oppose” 9.4%
”strongly oppose” 7.5% - almost no opposition
”not sure / no opinion” 4.3%

Other
Support level= “strongly support” 51.9% - if you add the somewhat support = 74.2%
”somewhat support” 22.3%
”somewhat oppose” 6.0%
”strongly oppose” 11.8%
”not sure / no opinion” 8.0%
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 12:20:17 am by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2003, 11:11:16 am »

"In eight states, it is legal to possess and grow your own marijuana for medical purposes if you have the approval of your physician, but medical marijuana distribution remains illegal in all 50 states. Suppose an initiative is placed on the November ballot in your state that would make it legal for medical clinics or non-profit organizations to buy medical marijuana from farmers and sell it to seriously ill patients. What is your level of support for this ballot measure?"

That is right, create a medical marijuana MARKET.

All Adults
Support level= “strongly support” 41.7% - if you add the somewhat support = 61.9%
”somewhat support” 20.2%
”somewhat oppose” 14.1%
”strongly oppose” 21.1% - this is all we are up against if we want to create a medical marijuana market!
”not sure / no opinion” 2.9%

GOP
Support level= “strongly support” 31.6%
”somewhat support” 17.6%
”somewhat oppose” 17.9%
”strongly oppose” 29.5% - this is all the opposition a candidate would face in the GOP primary medical marijuana was one of his main issues (after he run the GOP primary the crossover votes from other parties would be HUGE)
”not sure / no opinion” 3.4%

Dem
Support level= “strongly support” 51.4% - if you add the somewhat support = 77.9%
”somewhat support” 26.5%
”somewhat oppose” 10.9%
”strongly oppose” 10.8% - almost no opposition
”not sure / no opinion” 0.4%

Other
Support level= “strongly support” 52.5% - if you add the somewhat support = 71.9%
”somewhat support” 19.4%
”somewhat oppose” 9.5%
”strongly oppose” 13.9%
”not sure / no opinion” 4.6%
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 12:21:04 am by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

Re:State-by-state cannabis laws
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2003, 11:31:29 am »

Here is a poll that shows:

The voters of AK, MT, ND, SD, and WY support medical marijuana.

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2003, 07:30:17 pm »

Med pot keeps getting introduced each year, by Derek Owen (D-34). It gets substantial support, but not enough.
Next year, however, it's coming back with bi-partisan support - I know - I've already been asked by a few state reps and a couple state senators from both of the old parties to testify for it... :)

JM

Wouldn't matter if it passed even with a super-majority....

It's a ban that's enforced by federal officers, and there's nothing the states can do to stop it. :(

Than how come pot is legal in AK? Federal law or not, I think posession of pot will be legalised next year in NH, and federal agents could be arrested for acting against state law :D
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2003, 07:18:24 am »

Here is a poll that shows:

The voters of AK, MT, ND, SD, and WY support medical marijuana.

Polls of all sorts like this have been taken all across the country, these ten states polled represent the most comprehensive polling done by the MPP, including these lucky 5 candidate states:  these results are entirely consistent with nationwide polls that show there is a majority that support or strongly support medical marijuana.  I recall the worst polling state being Maryland and they still had a slim majority.

The drug war is living on borrowed time,  ending it just depends on getting more people in office who will take action against it on principle.  Sounds like a job for the FSP!
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2003, 08:38:04 pm »

Here's an interesting thing I learned last night....

The posession of pot paraphernalia in NH is technically legal!

A friend of mine who is a well known defense lawyer in the area told me that NH state law does not actually define the possesion of cannabis pipes and such to be illegal... Only the sale (yeah, right. ::), manufacture, distribution.... yada yada of them.
It turns out that when people are arrested for a pipe or whatever in NH, it is under city or town statutes, which are not really enforcable in court because we are not a home rule state. Ergo, the cities can't pass such laws. :) He told me that he has never had a paraphenalia charge stick to a client of his. :)
Not perfect, but good. :)

JM
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 08:38:32 pm by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
Re:Marijuana Laws in the Candidate States
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2003, 07:51:58 pm »

You know, if people didn't smoke, they'd not have a problem. :-X
It's not like food or ammo.

Still, Alaska looks good.

You potheads need a state that will let you hide.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295

Delaware2

• FSP Participant
  • Freedomfighter, Libertarian, Engineer, Early Mover
    • Rainbow Farm
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2003, 07:22:53 pm »

Here's an interesting thing I learned last night....

The posession of pot paraphernalia in NH is technically legal!

A friend of mine who is a well known defense lawyer in the area told me that NH state law does not actually define the possesion of cannabis pipes and such to be illegal... Only the sale (yeah, right. ::), manufacture, distribution.... yada yada of them.
It turns out that when people are arrested for a pipe or whatever in NH, it is under city or town statutes, which are not really enforcable in court because we are not a home rule state. Ergo, the cities can't pass such laws. :) He told me that he has never had a paraphenalia charge stick to a client of his. :)
Not perfect, but good. :)

JM

Maybe that explains why the Enforcement of cannabis in N.H. "fell off a cliff" in 1997.  That's according to the NORML link at the top of the thread.  Look under Arrests, by County, on the NORML page.  You'll see under "Rate" that about 200-300 per 100,000 are arrested everywhere, including N.H., thru about 1995 and '96.  Then the rate for N.H. falls off quickly, until by 1997 it's about 5 per 100,000.  

Xylenz

• I'm a llama!
Hope
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2003, 07:09:06 pm »

If you really want to see something beautiful read the laws for CO and especially OH!  Its still not good enough, IMO but its something. ;D

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4526
http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4557
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up