Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A record of what my "little voice" says....  (Read 9205 times)

antayla

Re:A record of what my "little voice" says....
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 03:54:35 pm »

BTW, what type of culture DOESN'T consume?  A dead one?  :P

Er, that was innaccurate of me.  I meant inefficient consumption.  Throwaway clothing, walmart-quality crap that ends up in landfills, toy fads, excessive packaging. If people spent a little more and bought quality the first time around I think we'd use half as much resources.  Also, building to recycle in the first place would help.  Do you know how much crap is made out of oil?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:55:10 pm by Robin Canaday »

Herself

• Western Science *is* *so* wonderful!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004, 08:06:15 pm »

It ends with the phrase "Leave me alone or just frelking kill me."

"Frelking" or "freaking"? What in Sam Hill does "frelking" mean? ???
    Frelk, Frelked, -ing, as invented by SF writer Samuel R. Delany in one of his better short stories (see his collection Driftglass, et al.) refers both to persons attracted to a group of astronauts who (for reasons logical within the story) have had their sexual devopment arrested prior to puberty, and/or whatever it was such persons ultimately sought to do with such astronauts, which was a mystery even to the astronauts themselves.  "Frelk" was applied to persons as a term of insult in addition to being used as a verb.  The term has found some use within the community of fen (SF fans, esp. the more active sort).  As it is obscure to the point of meaninglessness and shares initial and final phonemes with a well-known obscene word, it can be very useful in certain situations.  (Compare with "gorram" from the short-lived television series -- and forthcoming feature film -- Firefly).

Aren't you glad you asked?  My own little voice says Ayn Rand Syndrome is "the inability to use five words when five hundred will do."  I've no idea what it means.

--Herself
Civilization in the United States ended by 1913.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 08:15:56 pm »

My own little voice says Ayn Rand Syndrome is "the inability to use five words when five hundred will do."  I've no idea what it means.

--Herself

Do all politicians suffer from Ayn Rand Syndrome? Sure seems that way.

Herself

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 08:27:32 pm »

No, no, 5th -- mainstream politicos suffer from excessive obfuscation syndrome.  The thing about ARS is, it all makes some kind of sense while going on a lot longer than most readers would have preferred.  At considerable length, in fact, which...  Oh, dear.

--H

;)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004, 08:30:53 pm »

No, no, 5th -- mainstream politicos suffer from excessive obfuscation syndrome.  The thing about ARS is, it all makes some kind of sense while going on a lot longer than most readers would have preferred.  At considerable length, in fact, which...  Oh, dear.

--H

;)

A politicians mantra: Be at one (or two) with your obfuscation.

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2004, 09:53:50 pm »

Aren't you glad you asked?  My own little voice says Ayn Rand Syndrome is "the inability to use five words when five hundred will do."  I've no idea what it means.

Hey, I heard that!  Ah, too true.  Let me explain why .... blah, blah, blah ... because without sufficient explaination ... blah, blah, blah ... and so Rand necessarily ... etc. ... blah, blah ... so it's obviously due to too much coffee and free time.

(See how much more convincing a long discussion is?)

;) 8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 09:54:32 pm by SteveA »
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2004, 09:58:45 pm »

Brevity is the essence of wit.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2004, 10:58:29 pm »

Brevity is wit.  ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Herself

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2004, 12:45:49 am »

it is?

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2004, 02:35:33 am »

yes
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 03:24:04 am by SteveA »
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2004, 08:48:24 am »

!!

antayla

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2004, 12:29:45 pm »

*sigh*

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 02:17:07 pm »

My little voice tells me that there will be another depression when oil production peaks in 2010 or so, which in combination with the housing crash... could be a very interesting and potential devestating economic period of time.
I think we will use up so much oil fighting and fueling a consumer culture that we will not have enough to build the next power system (wind or solar) and will spend the next century or two recovering from that, trying to rebuild our skillset and desperately seeking other forms of power.

Consumerism is the opposite of capitalism.  The less we make of the stuff we use, the more we depend on others, and the more fragile we are to economic downturns.

We need to make more of the stuff we use.  Period.  Those who make most of what they use hardly even notice the most drastic economic depression.

Check out "This Ugly Civilization" by Ralph Borsodi for more info on that.  (Be prepared for some old-conservative sexism in the book though, it was written long ago.)
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

nonluddite

• Caveat Emptor!
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 07:37:54 pm »

My little voice tells me that there will be another depression when oil production peaks in 2010 or so, which in combination with the housing crash... could be a very interesting and potential devestating economic period of time.
I think we will use up so much oil fighting and fueling a consumer culture that we will not have enough to build the next power system (wind or solar) and will spend the next century or two recovering from that, trying to rebuild our skillset and desperately seeking other forms of power.

Consumerism is the opposite of capitalism.  The less we make of the stuff we use, the more we depend on others, and the more fragile we are to economic downturns.

We need to make more of the stuff we use.  Period.  Those who make most of what they use hardly even notice the most drastic economic depression.

Check out "This Ugly Civilization" by Ralph Borsodi for more info on that.  (Be prepared for some old-conservative sexism in the book though, it was written long ago.)

No, division of labor is part of capitalism!  If I had to grow all of my own food, what time would I have to go to work--wouldn't we just turn the clock back to the pre-21st century, or the Middle Ages?  Even Communism has division of labor, at least in small groups!
"I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door.  You're the one that has to walk through it."- Morpheous, The Matrix

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2004, 11:46:07 am »

I think we need to be careful with the semantics -- division of labor is not part of Capitalism at all, but is a naturally emerging phenom, a consequence of people's individual actions (I spend some time making more program code, because I can buy better food from the farmer than I can grow, and get more money for the code I can make in that time than the worth of the food I might have produced).   Still, I am free to grow my own food and code less if I wish.

Under Lenin's Communism, both the division of labor and the activities labored at were arranged by the State.

:)

RS
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up