Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "rank you own" I think has a bug & problem.  (Read 3751 times)

matt621

• WY=SD>ID>MT>AK>...
"rank you own" I think has a bug & problem.
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:13:28 pm »

Based on what I've put in so far, sometimes the ranks seem strange. For instance, if I leave all at 0 except for "Dep" and I put that at a 10, then ND should come in last, because it's the most dependant, but instead it comes in first! That seems to be totally wrong. Ie, backwards.

Also, the "Rank the States on Your Own Criteria" doesn't allow recalcs. If I change a number to see how it effects the outcome, it gives me an error msg and says the numbers have to be between 1 and 10. Which they are.  Who do I report this to?

thanks.

But every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. If there be any among us who [disagree], let them stand undisturbed as monuments of the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson 1801

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
Re:"rank you own" I think has a bug & problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 03:37:58 pm »

I had that same problem, I just went back and started over from the beginning and had no problems. . .

I am even more concerned because the spreadsheet no longer recalculates the final values when changing weightings.  Anybody else have that problem?
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 03:38:55 pm »

I have no idea how the spreadsheet works, but I notified Jason of this thread, so hopefully he'll be able to answer the questions.   :-\

matt621

• WY=SD>ID>MT>AK>...
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 05:17:35 pm »

I think there is difinitely a problem

If I leave all at 0, but put tax at a 10, it should show the state with the lowest taxes as first, right?
but it doesn't. In fact, it seems to show it in exactly the opposite order. ie, maine is no. 1 and ak is 10. That 'can't be what it should be doing can it?

If I put 0 in all of them and then 10 in pop, it's showing wy as no. 10. When I know wy is no. 1 in terms of population. If I put a -10 in for pop, then wy is no. 1. but that is opposite to what I think it should show. Ie, if I put in a -10, that means I don't care about population, and a 10 would mean it's the most important thing.

So it's missing a negative some place.
But every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. If there be any among us who [disagree], let them stand undisturbed as monuments of the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson 1801

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 06:18:37 pm »

Based on what I've put in so far, sometimes the ranks seem strange. For instance, if I leave all at 0 except for "Dep" and I put that at a 10, then ND should come in last, because it's the most dependant, but instead it comes in first! That seems to be totally wrong. Ie, backwards.

Yeah, it's weird that way.  The Rank the States tool on the website works differently from the spreadsheet.  If you think dependence is a good thing, then you weight it positively; if you think it's bad, you weight it negatively.  Same w/ all the other variables.

Also, the "Rank the States on Your Own Criteria" doesn't allow recalcs. If I change a number to see how it effects the outcome, it gives me an error msg and says the numbers have to be between 1 and 10. Which they are.  Who do I report this to?

Hm, I haven't noticed that problem.  Matt Cheselka (mcheselka@freestateproject.org) is the designer and maintainer of this tool.  My main problem with it is that it's fallen out of date; some of the data are old, and lots of variables aren't included.  But it still has some use for those who aren't able to use the spreadsheet.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

cheselka

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 07:49:41 pm »

Ok -- I'll try to explain this again.  Take population as an example.  If you think that a large population is a GOOD thing, then you'r put in a +10.  If you think large population is a BAD thing, you'd put in a -10.  So a -10 for WY and a zero for everything else will put WY at the #1 position.  This goes for all other variables.  I fyou think a large income is a good thing, put in a large positive  number, if you think large income is a bad thing, put in a large negative number.  Does that make sense?

I noticed this too a coupla days ago when I went to use the tool.  I haven't gotten around to looking into it, though.  It's on my list of "stuff to do", so stay tuned.

Matt

matt621

• WY=SD>ID>MT>AK>...
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 10:43:50 pm »

Ok -- I'll try to explain this again.  

I suspect the reason you are having to explain it over and over is that it's counter intuitive. ;) I think the way people are expecting it to work is: If it's important to you, rate high, if it doesn't matter, leave it zero, if's it not important to you, make it negative.

And I think that's how most people are using it; thus they are getting ranks opposite to what the truth is. I believe it's a very powerful tool and I appreciate the effort to make it available to us. So with the vote right around the corner, I hope you can fix it. If you don't believe me, put it to a vote of the members as a poll and I'll be happy to submit my position to their opinion. :)

Yes, I also hope the data is being kept up to date. I realize this is a volunteer effort, so I'll send you $100 just to help motivate you. :) I also hope the maps of membership are also up to date.

e-gold on it's way. And if there is something I can do to help, just let me know.

matt621

• WY=SD>ID>MT>AK>...
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 10:48:29 pm »

If you think that a large population is a GOOD thing, then you'r put in a +10.  If you think large population is a BAD thing, you'd put in a -10.

Would it help if you put the qualifier in the question? ie, instead of "pop" you can put "large pop" and then people would vote 10 if that's very important or -10 if it's counter inportant and 0 if it doesnt' matter. Would that make it easier for everyone to understand?
Pages: [1]   Go Up