Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Proximity and related issues  (Read 32370 times)

johnadams

• Friend of the FSP, Libertarian
WHERE ARE THE LIBERTARIAN INSTITUTIONS LOCATED?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2003, 10:19:34 pm »

WHERE ARE THE LIBERTARIAN INSTITUTIONS LOCATED?

"For FSP to have a hope of success, all its members have to be battle hardened political warriors with all their skills fresh with current knowledge of organizational methods, campaign strategies and issues that matter to the electorate.

The FSP will arrive in the bull's-eye with the combined political might of the nation pointed right at them. The FSP can't afford to have people show up who have been politically inactive, who are slowly trying to get themselves ramped up to work again. They can't afford the time to train the inexperienced up to task."

Source:
The Free State Project -- Negative Impact on Liberty?
by John Thomas, August 14, 2003
The Colorado Freedom Report--www.co-freedom.com

Given what John Thomas said, the FSP will need all the allies and synergistic networks it can find in the area around the Free State and Free County(ies).

Wherever it goes, the FSP will need to take advantage of the resources, advice and synergies of any existing nearby libertarian-oriented institutions and think tanks (as long as they don't try to change the FSP's views, of course). If there aren't any reasonably close, then the FSP will want to start working on forming its own institution, using the FSP think tank as the seed.

Here is a list of existing libertarian-oriented institutions I could think of-please add any you can think of:

Libertarian and libertarian-leaning think tanks:
Organization                            HQ                                                           Nearby* FS
American Enterprise Inst.        Washington, DC                                       DE
American Liberty Foundation    Alexandria, VA                                          DE
The Beacon Hill Institute          Suffolk Univ., Boston, MA                         NH, VT, ME
Cato Institute                          Washington, D.C.                                     DE
Heartland Institute                  Chicago, IL
Hoover Institution                    Stanford Univ., CA   
James M. Buchanan Center      George Mason Univ., VA                          DE
Goldwater Institute                   Phoenix, AZ   
Ludwig Von Mises Institute      Auburn University, AL   
Milton & Rose Friedman Fnd.    Indianapolis, IN   
Pioneer Institute                      Boston, MA                                              NH, VT, ME
Reason Foundation                  Los Angeles, CA   
The Manhatten Institute          NY, NY                                                     NH, VT, DE
The Objectivist Center             Poughkeepsie, NY                                    VT, NH, DE
--------------------------------
* Within 250 miles

Of course, most states have a Libertarian Party HQ and a college/University with a student LP organization, but I am talking here about Libertarian think-tank-like organizations here. Universities that have a lot of libertarian-oriented professors can also provide some think-tank synergy.

Colleges & universities with a reputation for libertarian scholars and professors and for offering a friendly atmosphere for libertarians:
College/University       Program                              Location                    Nearby* FS
Auburn University       Ludwig von Mises Instit.      Auburn, AL   
Stanford University       Hoover Institution               Stanford, CA   
University Of Chicago  "Chicago School" of econ.     Chicago, IL   
New York University      Foundations of Mkt. Econ.    NYC                          NH, VT, DE
St. Lawrence Univ.      Austrian Economics             Canton, NY                   VT
Suffolk University       Beacon Hill Institute            Boston, MA                NH, VT, ME
George Mason Univ.     James M. Buchanan Ctr        Fairfax, VA                 DE
--------------------------------
* Within 250 miles

Of special interest to the FSP for think-tank synergies would be professors in philosophy, politics, government policy, economics and business.

Like attracts like. The more libertarian organizations you can muster in a certain region, the more that will be attracted to that region.

This particular attribute of existing Libertarian infrastructure would seem to favor DE, NH, VT and ME.
"men are born equally free and independent" - John Adams
World's Smallest Political Quiz

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
Re:WHERE ARE THE LIBERTARIAN INSTITUTIONS LOCATED?
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2003, 10:53:51 pm »

Heck, there's a good one in New Hampshire:

The New Hampshire Center for Constitutional Studies

www.nhccs.org

Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

johnadams

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2003, 11:39:42 pm »

I saw that site but thought it was narrowly focused on the Constitution rather than on broader libertarian topics. Was I wrong? I wasn't able to tell much about them from the Website other than their interest in the Constitution. Who are they, why did they form and what are they about?

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2003, 03:23:33 am »

I must question the reasoning behind this thread, particularly the idea that we must have such proximity to 'libertarian infastructure' when most of what goes out the doors of these organizations is in the media available in all 50 states.

If you are talking about having lots of guest speakers and such,  perhaps the issue of in-state airports is just as relevant, in which case Idaho easily comes in at tops among our states according to Varrin's air service report, with Alaska and New Hampshire closely behind.

But the mails, the Internet, radio and television, all sound like the areas of emphasis preferred for mass media than to have some office suite nearby.

I live right nearby the home office for the Alliance for Separation of School and State here in Fresno, California.  I have still yet to actually go inside the office building, though I have communicated with people there repeatedly by phone, e-mail and otherwise, including the founder and president, and I've received all sorts of communication from them.  For all practical purposes, I could just as well live in Hawaii and it would not have altered any of my communication with them up to this point.  Even if I did go in and personally shake hands with Marshall Fritz, I still think if either of us wanted to share some documents we would still ask to e-mail.

Sorry to steal your thunder with this criticism, but the best this does is check a lot of the silly criticism that the Eastern state are at disadvantage in also being adjacent to the throes of statist think-tanks and powerful organizations.
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2003, 06:44:01 am »

I saw that site but thought it was narrowly focused on the Constitution rather than on broader libertarian topics. Was I wrong? I wasn't able to tell much about them from the Website other than their interest in the Constitution. Who are they, why did they form and what are they about?

I can't answer all your questions, because I'm not sure. But, they've been excellent about supporting the LPNH. John Babiarz is even on their Board of Directors. I went to their convention last year and it was excellent. I just got the flyer in the mail a few days ago and think I may go to this year's too.

Anyone who came to Escape to NH met them. They were the group in the back corner of the hall with the huge book display and outreach table.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

johnadams

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2003, 09:49:54 am »

OK, thanks Michelle. If they've already been supporting the FSP and the LPNH I guess that qualifies them as a supportive libertarian infrastructure.

It's interesting that they're located in Nashua. That seems to be a libertarian-oriented city.

[Note for the subtlety challenged: "seems to be" is not the same as saying "definitely is."]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 06:18:40 pm by johnadams »

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
Re:Something to consider: where are the 20K going to come from?
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2003, 10:51:14 am »

...prefering a more city like atmosphere in NH.

LOL!  You have obviously never been to New Hampshire!  Ok, ok, so it's not your typical scrubland sagebrush covered rural, but more of your hilly, pastureland rural.  What is so funny is that downtown Concord, the frickin' capitol, is about as citified as the piddlin' little Texas sorghum town I live in now, and a helluva lot friendlier!

Bruce

Actually I have been to NH and it is just a suburb or Boston in the southern part of the state. It's name should be changed to NB for North Boston.
WY>SD>AK>VT>ND>DE>MT>ID>NH>ME

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2003, 10:54:31 am »

You're full of it, Emor.  :P

I live in Southern NH and I guarantee you that you could ask 1000 people here if they believe S. NH  is a suburb of Boston and 1000 people would tell you "NO" - after they laughed at you, that is. There are worlds of difference between New Hampshire and Boston.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2003, 11:10:57 am »

There are worlds of difference between New Hampshire and Boston.
I never said that there wasn't a world of difference. Although it is a Boston suburb. How many people commute to Boston for work?   :P

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2003, 11:15:07 am »

It's interesting that they're located in Nashua. That seems to be a libertarian-oriented city.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Do some more research before making a blanket statement like that please.

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2003, 11:43:54 am »

I never said that there wasn't a world of difference. Although it is a Boston suburb. How many people commute to Boston for work?   :P

Of all of the hundreds of friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and relatives that I have in the area - I DO NOT know a SINGLE person who commutes to Boston for work.

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2003, 11:52:04 am »

Of all of the hundreds of friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and relatives that I have in the area - I DO NOT know a SINGLE person who commutes to Boston for work.
That is interesting since that is one of your claims of the benefits of moving to NH. Hmmmm......

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2003, 11:55:43 am »

There are hundreds of thousands of jobs between the border of New Hampshire and Boston.  Perhaps they stop short.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2003, 11:57:26 am »

I really just wish I had the time to take a trip to all of them before the ballot.

I think so too.

That's one of the reasons I put together www.freestatenhlive.com .

People can take a "virtual tour" of NH from the comfort of their own homes through web cams and original photos. Fly over Manchester. Cruise the quad in Durham. Visit a typical house in the woods in East Kingston. You can even take a dip under a New Hampshire lake!  

It's all available at http://www.freestatenhlive.com :D

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2003, 12:23:11 pm »

That is interesting since that is one of your claims of the benefits of moving to NH. Hmmmm......

Yes, quite interesting. It is an hour from here - certainly a "do-able" drive if one actually WANTED TO - but not necessary because the NH ECONOMY AND JOB MARKET IS STRONG and people obviously don't feel the need to commute.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up