Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: % of Females in Candidate States  (Read 9545 times)

Friday Jones

% of Females in Candidate States
« on: August 22, 2003, 02:57:07 pm »

I've read numerous references recently to the effect that New Hampshire has more women than Wyoming.  Now, I know sex sells, but GOOD GRIEF... ::)  Even the Demopublicans don't run campaign ads implying "Vote for Measure X... or you'll never get laid again."  I'm sure this has been posted before, but just to set the record straight:

Females as Percentage of Population
source:  http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html

• Delaware:  51.4%
  • Maine:  51.3%
  • Vermont:  51.0%
  • U.S. overall:  50.9%
  • New Hampshire:  50.8%
  • South Dakota:  50.4%
  • Montana:  50.2%
  • North Dakota:  50.1%
  • Idaho:  49.9%
  • Wyoming:  49.7%  
  • Alaska:  48.3%
Even Alaska isn't as bad as you may have been led to believe.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 11:35:02 pm by Friday Jones »

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
Re:Mars Needs Women
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 03:08:02 pm »

• Delaware:  51.4%
  • Maine:  51.3%
  • Vermont:  51.0%
  • U.S. overall:  50.9%
  • New Hampshire:  50.8%
  • South Dakota:  50.4%
  • Montana:  50.2%
  • North Dakota:  50.1%
  • Idaho:  49.9%
  • Wyoming:  49.7%  
  • Alaska:  48.3%

And what the absolute numbers of single women for single male porcupines....... :-X
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

Leonard

• FSP Participant
  • Practical Anarchist
    • Unruled
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 04:41:11 pm »

The problem with sex-percentages is that married people are of no use to singles (barring us legalizing polygamy, and even then it is not very appealing).  What one really wants to know is the numbers of single men and women.

I got curious so I dug a little at the census.  The exact numbers one wants are not there, or not easy to find.  But I did find a table showing the "Marital Status for States, by Sex, for the Population 15 Years Old and Over: 2000 Census".  The table has six columns: Total, Never married, Married, Separated, Widowed, and Divorced.  These numbers are given for each sex.  From the single male POV, what we want to know is the sex-ratio of "eligible" women.  Given the categories, I figured using "eligible" defined as Never married, Separated, or Divorced.  

Here's the results.  The number is the ratio of "eligible" men:women in the state as-of the 2000 census.

Delaware  0.95
Maine   1.02
Vermont   1.03
New Hampshire   1.04
Idaho   1.13
Montana   1.15
South Dakota   1.16
Wyoming   1.17
North Dakota   1.22
Alaska   1.25

Delaware... mmm.

If we restrict "eligible" to be only Never married + Separated, we get these ratios:

Delaware 1.04
Maine 1.14
Vermont 1.15
New Hampshire 1.15
South Dakota 1.26
Idaho 1.28
Montana 1.30
Wyoming 1.30
North Dakota 1.34
Alaska 1.40

There are large differences here.  Dating in a situation where the ratio is 1.4:1 is going to be much harder than 1.04:1.

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
  • My sister was bit by a moose!
    • kbarrett's web page
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 04:47:12 pm »

Good lord ....

Here's a clue for men with no social skills:

Percentages won't get you a partner. Learning to actually talk to women, and learning to shut your mouth and listen when they speak to you, is way more important than "percentages".

M-F percentages have little to do with selecting a state .... unless you are socially clumsy enough to believe luck has anything to do with the matter.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 04:48:07 pm by kbarrett »
--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 04:55:27 pm »

Man, when I posted a note about this yesterday it was meant as a joke.  

People on this board take everything so seriously.   ;)
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
    • kbarrett's web page
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 05:40:41 pm »

Man, when I posted a note about this yesterday it was meant as a joke.  

People on this board take everything so seriously.   ;)

Heh.

Unfortunately some folks consider this a problem.

--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett

darad

• I've moved.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 05:44:15 pm »

If you shoot Zack an email I'm sure he'll be able to hook you up with a hot little Phillipina.According to him they have a low center of gravity.

Leonard

• FSP Participant
  • Practical Anarchist
    • Unruled
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 06:02:33 pm »

Actually I am quite prepared to defend the notion that M-F ratio is something we should take seriously.  It's like jobs.  People like to live in liberty, yes.  But we know that is not all that motivates people, and it is only a small part of what we live life for.  People like to be able to live nicely, eat, entertain themselves, and have a family.  

How many porcupines are willing to take a job washing dishes for $6/hr in order to live in the Free State, when they are currently working as a Network engineer making $60k/year?  

How many porcupines are willing to give up forever the pleasures of the big city - museums, opera, the symphony, etc.?

How many porcupines are willing to give up on marriage and children in order to live in the free state, because all of the women are taken?  (I say women, of course, because we all know this a disproportionately male movement, and it always will be.)

You may think that jobs are much more important than sex ratio, and that's probably true.  But it may not be as big of a difference as you think.  Jobs can be created for oneself.  Jobs can be located in nearby states.  Extra women can be imported, (hi Zack), but that is not how most people meet the opposite sex.  Failing importation, I see no way in which some of these sex ratios can be adjusted.  That means: unhappy men in the Free State.  And it is likely, especially given our general geekiness and the fact we will be outsiders who don't know people, that the "odd men out" will be disproportionately porcupines.

A certain percentage of porcupine men who move will drop out, if they can't satisfy their important life goal of finding a mate.  I hope it is not large.  But we can forestall such attrition by appropriate state choice.  Alaska has 109445 "eligible" men, and only 87744 "eligible" women.  That's a mean dating situation.  Add 5000 single porcupine males, and it gets worse. Add in another 20000 who are lurking, watching the FSP waiting to see where it plans to go, and it would get even worse.  Of the 5000 movers, roughly 1 in 5 will simply be shut out of the dating game.  That's 1000.  If 1 in 10 of them eventually give up because of it, we only lose 100 men.  But of the 20000 in the wave of men that will be drawn to freedom once we establish a beachhead, we stand to lose more.  They are less devoted to freedom to begin with, and if the word gets out that you had better wait to move until you find a mate, we'll lose a great number of them to attrition when their mates refuse to move.

Do I think sex ratio should be taken as seriously as jobs or population?  Of course not.  But it is more important, IMO, than a some things that are in our spreadsheet.  Let me just name a few: geography.  Weather.  Urbanization.  Federal Land.  

Friday Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 06:21:46 pm »

The problem with sex-percentages is that married people are of no use to singles (barring us legalizing polygamy, and even then it is not very appealing).  What one really wants to know is the numbers of single men and women.

I got curious so I dug a little at the census.  The exact numbers one wants are not there, or not easy to find.  But I did find a table showing the "Marital Status for States, by Sex, for the Population 15 Years Old and Over: 2000 Census".  The table has six columns: Total, Never married, Married, Separated, Widowed, and Divorced.  These numbers are given for each sex.  From the single male POV, what we want to know is the sex-ratio of "eligible" women.  Given the categories, I figured using "eligible" defined as Never married, Separated, or Divorced.  

Here's the results.  The number is the ratio of "eligible" men:women in the state as-of the 2000 census.

Delaware  0.95
Maine   1.02
Vermont   1.03
New Hampshire   1.04
Idaho   1.13
Montana   1.15
South Dakota   1.16
Wyoming   1.17
North Dakota   1.22
Alaska   1.25

Delaware... mmm.

If we restrict "eligible" to be only Never married + Separated, we get these ratios:

Delaware 1.04
Maine 1.14
Vermont 1.15
New Hampshire 1.15
South Dakota 1.26
Idaho 1.28
Montana 1.30
Wyoming 1.30
North Dakota 1.34
Alaska 1.40

There are large differences here.  Dating in a situation where the ratio is 1.4:1 is going to be much harder than 1.04:1.

This is true.  I did a little survey of my own, using Match.com as the "data source".  Here are the results I got, posing as a Man looking for a Woman ages 21-22 (I made the age range that narrow because the search results max out at 200, and it was necessary in order to get meaningful figures), no photo posted OK, within 50 miles of...

Manchester, NH - 200

Portland, ME - 113

Hanover, NH - 78

Cheyenne, WY - 59

Laramie, WY - 44

Anchorage, AK - 26

So the New Hampshire people are right; there really ARE more girls there!   :o  Of course, they were only kidding anyway, so it really doesn't matter.   ;)

Now why the heck doesn't Joe use the babe factor to push Maine...

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
    • kbarrett's web page
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 10:30:09 pm »

well.... women in Alaska don't see a need for using the want ads...... they believe in the m/f ratio as much as the average person I guess......

I do remember one local saying I had heard from a Homer area resident ( female ):

"Alaska .... where the odds are good ... but the goods are odd."

--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 11:28:26 pm »

well.... women in Alaska don't see a need for using the want ads...... they believe in the m/f ratio as much as the average person I guess......

I do remember one local saying I had heard from a Homer area resident ( female ):

"Alaska .... where the odds are good ... but the goods are odd."

Both of those things make sense and I really like the last one.

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 12:44:12 pm »

This is true.  I did a little survey of my own, using Match.com as the "data source".  Here are the results I got, posing as a Man looking for a Woman ages 21-22 (I made the age range that narrow because the search results max out at 200, and it was necessary in order to get meaningful figures), no photo posted OK, within 50 miles of...

Manchester, NH - 200

Portland, ME - 113

Hanover, NH - 78

Cheyenne, WY - 59

Laramie, WY - 44

Anchorage, AK - 26

So the New Hampshire people are right; there really ARE more girls there!   :o  Of course, they were only kidding anyway, so it really doesn't matter.   ;)

Now why the heck doesn't Joe use the babe factor to push Maine...

It must be all those colleges.  Dartmouth, UNH, Franklin Pierce, Concord....  NH has a lot of institutions of higher learning, and they're all within 50 miles of Manchester, and you know they all have computers.  Man, the girls there are so lonely they're scrounging around on the internet.  According to the info sheet for Durham, NH, the location of UNH, the median age for the entire town is 21.2 and there's 1.22 females for every male, a pretty significant disparity (5719M vs. 6945F).

VOTE FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE AND YOU'LL GET A COED!!!!

Again, this is only a joke, and I don't really expect people to pick a state based on M/F ratios.  OK, maybe Leonard will.  I wonder if there's a "girls of UNH calendar"????
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

guy777

• I'm a llama!
Re:% of Females in Candidate States
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 03:06:36 pm »

I did a search on the rest of the largest cities of the states.

Wilmington, DE-200

Burlington, VT-47

Sioux Falls, SD-41

Fargo, ND-34

Boise, ID-29

Billings, MT-12
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 03:08:14 pm by guy777 »

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 03:29:16 pm »

It must be all those colleges.  Dartmouth, UNH, Franklin Pierce, Concord....  NH has a lot of institutions of higher learning, and they're all within 50 miles of Manchester, and you know they all have computers.  Man, the girls there are so lonely they're scrounging around on the internet.  According to the info sheet for Durham, NH, the location of UNH, the median age for the entire town is 21.2 and there's 1.22 females for every male, a pretty significant disparity (5719M vs. 6945F).

VOTE FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE AND YOU'LL GET A COED!!!!

Desperate, techie, college chicks!!!  ;D  You must be pulling my chain....or something else for that matter.  :-[

Time to pack my bags for NH!  ;D

Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Friday Jones

Re:% of Females in Candidate States
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2003, 06:28:21 pm »

Hey, according to the official ballot booklet, Dartmouth is in VERMONT, not New Hampshire!!   ;D

(I know where it is, but the ballot really does say that.  :o  )
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up