Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What if...  (Read 3454 times)

bud

• I'm a llama!
What if...
« on: August 25, 2002, 05:58:14 am »

What if a portion of a US state or one of the smaller US states beat us to the punch and secedes before the FSP chooses a state or begins the move?

Wouldn't that make it  worthy of consideration?  There are, as has been mentioned on this forum, a number of serious movements already working towards this goal.   The USA Patriot Act and further government stupidity, along with a sinking economy compliments of the idiots in DC, could be all that some of these movements need to make the move.

marciesmom

• I'm a llama!
Re:What if...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2002, 08:47:29 am »

If they ain't done it yet, they're probably not gonna.  Sorry to ruffle some feathers, but secession rumblings have been going on for decades with nothing ever being done.  I thought Quebec's successes with the recalcitrant Canadian government would get some things moving in the US, but even that failed to budge folks.  Seems a lot of the secession folks are stuck in a rut.

bud

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 04:00:51 am »

Quebec's secession talk is just a club they use to jerk the government and the rest of Canada around.  As long as they are successful at getting what they want, they'll continue to talk about it, but they don't need to DO anything.  With all due respect to the people of the Confederate states, the initial reason for their secession was economic, not political.  When our current economy fails due to government stupidity,  several states and parts of states will have  reason to opt out.
The "rut" secessionists are in in the US is the same rut as free staters are in--not enough people supporting the move.  If the FSP can pull this off, then secessionists can, too.  It took just under 90 years for some states to decide to secede, although some northern states entertained the idea much earlier.  It's been 140 years since, so it's historically overdue.  And, if the FSP succeeds, believe me, the feral gummint will accuse us of attempting to secede whether we are trying it or not.  Maybe that is the best those unimaginative dolts in DC will be able to come up with.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 04:09:32 am »

Anything could happen.  California could slide into the sea.  Global thermonuclear war could turn us all into charcoal briquettes.  I'm sure we would deal with a massive change in circumstance appropriately.

Charley

• Where's the country I grew up in?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 09:40:24 am »

What shrinking economy???
Just because the stock market fluctuates everyone thinks we're going into the hopper.  Some stocks were overvalued in 1999 - 2000 and now some are undervalued.  Just like the beanie baby craze.  A lot of people thought that their paper profits were real.  They didn't make any money during the boom and didn't lose any since the market dropped.  There's an old blues song that says:
"You can't lose what you never had"
Charley in WC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything