Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: *Pros and Cons by the States*  (Read 12207 times)

Doug R.

• I'm a llama!
Re:*Pros and Cons by the States*
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2003, 10:58:41 am »

Just a couple corrections about the Alaska part, if I may.  First, and I think it was just a mistake, very weak gun control is a pro, not a con.
  The long coastline will not be a boon to our economy as it is extremely rugged and served by roads in only a few places.
  The lack of counties does not make local elections more difficult.  My experience is to the contrary. There are far fewer electable positions.  It won't hamper FSP efforts.
  The Alaska Constitution was written with the deliberate intent of reduced government.
  Talk of officials corrupted by the oil companies is the rage here, but I would really expect proof of that.  I believe our elected officials are weak and tend to cave easily, but are not necessarily corrupt.      

Zxcv

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2003, 12:23:48 pm »

Also, be sure to check out the paper I did on this, which more or less confirms what exitus is saying:
http://www.freestateproject.org/spreadsheetstellus.htm

Since I have done that paper I've added several variables to the big spreadsheet. I'm now up to 90 more-or-less useful variables. I just re-ran it as in the paper for freedom culture and got this result:

WY  773
ID  735
NH  675
SD  648
AK  617
ND  599
MT  587
VT  550
DE  533
ME  510

The only point of contention on this, with exitus' RLC-only result, is that SD does pretty well here. SD does elect some seriously crappy federal-level legislators, which would harm it on the RLC measure (and which also implies that if we chose SD we might have the largest impact at the federal level).

I'd argue that no state outside of the first four or five should be anyone's first choice (although I have some reservations about excluding MT, as I believe silly laws, such as the spreadsheets measure, tend to be ignored there).

I happen to think population is a lot more important than exitus does, given that we will have roughly 20,000 activists in the first place. That's why I like Wyoming. It's tops in the most important criteria, despite its less than vigorous economy (which is in turn a factor largely tied to population - low population, cooler economy). The important factors more than out-weigh this difficulty.

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2003, 12:31:45 pm »

Also, be sure to check out the paper I did on this, which more or less confirms what exitus is saying:
http://www.freestateproject.org/spreadsheetstellus.htm

Oh, sure, Paul, you show up now with your rational arguments and armed with facts, just when some of the other western supporters were going into panic and letting us know how they react to a little pressure!   :D

Seriously, thanks for letting us know there is some hope should the vote go West.  I really appreciate your level-headedness, even when we've disagreed with each other.  I'll vote for ya, buddy!

Bruce

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 12:21:16 pm »

Since it appears that the vote announcement is moving towards delay, perhaps it is time to look at the pros and cons again.

Folks we are living in a real world, with real people, not one composed of numbers and spreadsheets.  While numbers and spreadsheets can be helpful, it will be people who get the job done!

Lets think of just one aspect of our move, a jobs.  While if you are 22, fine move to a strange new land pump gas, live in a dive, until something better comes along.  But wait, we are not all 22, what of those 42 or 52 with a family and responsibilities?  Moving to a new area, much less a new state will cause many of us to loose all of our business contacts.  

Like it or not contacts help us find employment.  Like it or not to get in the door we will need people on the ground to help us get established, as I recall it's called networking!

Folks the only place we have people on the ground willing to help is New Hampshire!

While some might call it a handout, I call it working together, to help create a Free State!

Folks we will need each others, we will need to work together, support each other, and help each other get established on our new home.

The folks in New Hampshire are asking us to come!  Is it better to be welcomed, or just barge in the door?
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Sean Coven

• FSP Participant
  • I Hate Maryland!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2003, 06:00:44 pm »

First, and I think it was just a mistake, very weak gun control is a pro, not a con.
Heh, my mistake... I put it there absent-mindedly. :-|

I made some of the changes you requested, as well as changed a misunderstanding I had about Idaho's taxes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up