Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record of political writing during covid crisis  (Read 3679 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Record of political writing during covid crisis
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:59:22 am »

The Covid crisis has created an uptick in writing/publicizing and tentative civil disobedience planning on my end.  I will try to keep a record of it here...probably in chronological order.

====

(Letter to Editor sent 3/21/2020)
Dear folks at the Union Leader:

On Sunday, March 22, 2020...libertarians in Keene are attempting to defy the governor's conveniently activism-inhibiting, probably unconstitutional ban on gatherings of over 50 people.   By the time you read this, they presumably will have gathered and perhaps stood up to the consequences.  They have indicated they will try to do this the following Sunday as well. Between this and Dan Hynes' lawsuit you reported on, at least the government will have some indication it cannot just arbitrarily do anything it wants without timely pushback. We learned during the 9/11 crisis and many times before:  When Americans focus only on unifying disasters such as warfare or natural catastrophes...we lose focus on the divisive but even more important disasters created by over-reactive government bans.  Don't trust headlines; trust history.  9/11 killed thousands of bystanders...the government's warfare reaction killed at least 50 times as many people and subjected our 3 year olds to legalized violation by the TSA.   So it may be again; more so if we don't hold them accountable with peaceable defiance.

If NH authoritarians really wanted to reduce disease-spreading concentrations of humans they wouldn't spew sweeping new restrictions; they'd release all victimless criminals from their gulags and all children from their jailschools, never to make them return.

Sunday's act of resistance event isn't precisely the type of civil disobedience I would have preferred to see, but at least they are acting at the beginning of this government power grab, rather than after it's possibly too late.

Dave Ridley
Winchester

-------

Sent 3/24/2020 and posted:

tjackson@courts.state.nh.us

Ms. Jackson sorry to dump this on you, but I could not find an e-mail for Merrimack Superior Court. 

Open letter to Judge John Kissinger, Merrimack Superior Court, New Hampshire

Judge Kissinger:  The Union Leader is reporting that you closed a hearing to the public and media, even though it was a matter of unusually great interest to both.   The lawsuit against the governor, filed by former state rep Dan Hynes on behalf of New Hampshire Liberty Alliance activist Holly Beene and others, aimed to challenge this politician's arguably unconstitutional ban on gatherings over 50.   Whether the ban is constitutional or not, you should have provided a reasonable level of public and media access to the hearing.   And that is what you should do in the future. 

The paper also reports there was an audio recording of this hearing.  Who created this recording, and where can the public find a copy?  Has it been posted online so that everyone who wishes to can listen?  I could not find a copy during a 5-minute net search.  What will you be doing in the future to ensure that such recordings are made by independent outlets, which have the fullest practical access to record these hearings and public areas immediately surrounding them? 

History will judge each of us for how we behaved during this limited medical crisis, which apparently has already turned into an unlimited *government* crisis.  The later of the two crises is a threat to both of us.  FreeTalkLive.com, one of the most accurate talk shows in the country, has just reported the Justice Department is seeking to do away with the need for judges and in many cases.

This is a time when we should all be helping each other as best we safely can; various threats face us all.  Please:  Don't make them worse by attacking the essential and often life-saving freedoms which are within your power to defend.

Yours,

Dave Ridley
RidleyReport.com

cc: NHexit.com, GraniteGrock

Sources
https://www.freetalklive.com/podcast/2020-03-22 \
https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/judge-upholds-governor-s-power-to-ban-large-gatherings/article_f0e8bac3-fd0c-572c-b9de-87e909dbb1ac.html?block_id=695277

-------

NH: Lockdown civil disobedience notice for Governor

(Open letter e-mailed to Governor Sununu on 3/24)

Governor:  Should you issue a lockdown order similar to the one in New Jersey amounting to a ban on one-man protests, I will (if able and well) exit my home, walk to a nearby intersection and "illegally" demonstrate alone. I will announce the time and location in advance, video-broadcast this innocuous act, issue a public request for all able New Hampshirites to do the same...and invite you to arrest me.  If forbidden from engaging in tiny-group outdoor trade, I will attempt something similar in that domain, fully consistent with social distancing.

Having entered no building other than my home since March 13, I am loyally overfollowing your limitation-of-gatherings command, probably better than anyone in your office. But traveling alone, especially on foot, poses no transmission danger to the public.  If you decide the right to walk and hold a political sign is non-essential, you may have to put your troops where your mouth is. That right is more essential this New Hampshire Spring than at any time in our lives. My suspicion is that you are better than the power-grabbers of other states and are in harmony with NH traditions of avoiding the more draconian, poverty-friendly measures they impose during crises.

But there is a declining likelihood that people like me, or even half the freedoms we had last month, will still safely exist in the United States of Easily Scared People a year from now.  World wars follow the kind of trade and civic restrictions people like you are creating.  We can dream we are wrong.  But like the wounding of freedom and safety which followed 9/11, all seems to bear the color of a great, long-planned move by authority against individual humanity.  If that which we cherish is to face elimination at your hands, and we like the Great War draft resisters are to face feverish deaths in germy gulags anyway, we might as well resist  now on our own terms and perhaps be remembered.  It is better than waiting for you to come to us...and be forgotten the moment your scythe falls. 

Do not issue such an order, Chris.  You and I have met and had pleasant conversations; you do not hate me or want me hurt.  As outlined above, I intend to *make* you hurt me or make you ignore your own order should you issue this one.

With best wishes,

Dave Ridley
RidleyReport.com
Winchester

-----
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:11:30 am by RidleyReport »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re: Record of political writing during covid crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:36:39 pm »

Got this nice note - and court audio link -  from an NH court communications person when I raised concerns about media access during Holly Beene's right-of-assembly lawsuit hearing. Also including my response to her and my original letter.

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 12:27 PM
To: Dave Ridley
Subject: RE: Open letter to Judge John Kissinger, Merrimack Superior Court, New Hampshire

Hi Dave:

I can help you.

You can listen to the hearing here: https://we.tl/t-52z2XBFDFD  It was recorded by WMUR TV and shared via We Transfer immediately after the conclusion of the hearing to all media that requested access to the hearing including the UL and AP, and then to other media entities that requested it, even though they did not participate in the pool.

The case documents are posted here and we will post Judge Kissinger’s written order as soon as it is received: https://www.courts.state.nh.us/caseinfo/pdf/civil/Sununu/index.htm

This is our current policy, and we are working on expanding it as we continue to work within the parameters and restrictions we are operating under during this world health crisis:

Pursuant to the Supreme Court's 3/16 Order, in person courtroom proceedings are restricted to attorneys, parties, witnesses, security officers, and other necessary persons, as determined by the trial judge. In an effort to make these proceedings accessible to the media, the court has created the following protocol in order to provide the best quality recordings of court proceedings, the speedy distribution to all interested parties and to preserve the media and the public’s right to court proceedings:

WMUR has been assigned pool duties to telephonically monitor and record court hearings in New Hampshire courts. Any media outlet that wishes to receive the audio of a specific hearing should send an email to both to the NHJB Communication's Assistant, Tammy Jackson, at tjackson@courts.state.nh.us and to WMUR Assignment editor, David Sakowich at dsakowich@hearst.com. At this time we are unable to accommodate photography or video.

Should the occasion arise that WMUR is unable to record any proceeding that another outlet is interested in covering, the pool will be given to the next entity requesting as long as they are able to record and distribute the recording. If only one venue is interested, they will be able to call and listen and record if they choose.

The Communications Office is available to assist you in gathering case documents and information and will continue to post high profile case documents to our Frequently Requested Cases page on the court’s website. Send your requests to tjackson@courts.state.nh.us.

It is anticipated that during these difficult times the media will respectfully restrict their requests to cases and hearings that are pertinent and important to and for the public. The court’s resources, especially staff and technology, are heavily burdened by the restrictions and limitations imposed on our institution during this crisis and our priority is to ensure that justice continues to be available to our citizens.

In spite of these stressful circumstances, we have been able to accommodate all media requests thusfar.  If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best –

Tammy

Tammy L. Jackson

Communications Office

NH Supreme Court

One Charles Doe Drive

Concord, NH  03301

603-271-2646 (ext.0251)

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 12:09 PM
To: Tammy L. Jackson
Subject: Open letter to Judge John Kissinger, Merrimack Superior Court, New Hampshire

EXTERNAL: Do not open attachments or click on links unless you recognize and trust the sender.

Ms. Jackson sorry to dump this on you, but I could not find an e-mail for Merrimack Superior Court.   Forward or not as you see fit.

Judge Kissinger:  The Union Leader is reporting that you closed a hearing to the public and media, even though it was a matter of unusually great interest to both.   The lawsuit against the governor, filed by former state rep Dan Hynes on behalf of New Hampshire Liberty Alliance activist Holly Beene and others, aimed to challenge this politician's arguably unconstitutional ban on gatherings over 50.   Whether the ban is constitutional or not, you should have provided a reasonable level of public and media access to the hearing.   And that is what you should do in the future. 

The paper also reports there was an audio recording of this hearing.  Who created this recording, and where can the public find a copy?  Has it been posted online so that everyone who wishes to can listen?  I could not find a copy during a 5-minute net search.  What will you be doing in the future to ensure that such recordings are made by independent outlets, which have the fullest practical access to record these hearings and public areas immediately surrounding them? 

History will judge each of us for how we behaved during this limited medical crisis, which apparently has already turned into an unlimited *government* crisis.  The later of the two crises is a threat to both of us.  FreeTalkLive.com, one of the most accurate talk shows in the country, has just reported the Justice Department is seeking to do away with the need for judges and in many cases.

This is a time when we should all be helping each other as best we safely can; various threats face us all.  Please:  Don't make them worse by attacking the essential and often life-saving freedoms which are within your power to defend.

fs

Yours,

Dave Ridley

RidleyReport.com

cc: NHexit.com, GraniteGrock

Sources

https://www.freetalklive.com/podcast/2020-03-22 \

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/judge-upholds-governor-s-power-to-ban-large-gatherings/article_f0e8bac3-fd0c-572c-b9de-87e909dbb1ac.html?block_id=695277

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
Re: Record of political writing during covid crisis
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 03:52:21 pm »

Thank you for your efforts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up