Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are the best "Which State" peacemakers?  (Read 12002 times)

Zxcv

Re:Who are the best "Which State" peacemakers?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2003, 10:14:03 am »

If you wish to wallow in bitterness, as your post seems to indicate, then I truly feel sorry for you.  

Hmmm, would Kelton make a comment like that? Some peacemaker!   ::)

People with an appreciation of the absurd, will surely enjoy this thread. Here we have a nominee for "FSP peacemaker", in the very thread in which he's nominated, administering a public spanking to a 74-year old lady (we probably don't have too many like Phyllis in the FSP, and we need them). In that spanking, he berates her for not extending the very courtesy (private discussion of differences) that he fails to extend to her. Her "offense", to deserve such a public dressing down? Five words, "You've got to be kidding."

Then he protests, "I have consistently treated every member here with respect."

George and Keith, I want to thank you for keeping things interesting around here. There is entertainment value in politics, after all. If you want me to just let it go, Keith, you will have to stop feeding me such good material to work with.  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 10:22:37 am by Zxcv »

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 11:41:26 am »

If you wish to wallow in bitterness, as your post seems to indicate, then I truly feel sorry for you.  

Hmmm, would Kelton make a comment like that? Some peacemaker!   ::)

People with an appreciation of the absurd, will surely enjoy this thread. Here we have a nominee for "FSP peacemaker", in the very thread in which he's nominated, administering a public spanking to a 74-year old lady (we probably don't have too many like Phyllis in the FSP, and we need them). In that spanking, he berates her for not extending the very courtesy (private discussion of differences) that he fails to extend to her. Her "offense", to deserve such a public dressing down? Five words, "You've got to be kidding."

Then he protests, "I have consistently treated every member here with respect."

George and Keith, I want to thank you for keeping things interesting around here. There is entertainment value in politics, after all. If you want me to just let it go, Keith, you will have to stop feeding me such good material to work with.  :D

I don't think I "administered a public spanking."  All I said was, "A bit of an overreaction, IMO."  

As I think it was.  Her vote, as listed, was publicly posted on this very forum by her very action.  If you read her post I think it's hard to classify it as anything but an "overreaction."  My response was public simply because her accusation was public; if she contacted me off-list my response would have been so as well.

Still, though I find her choice of wording to be curious, indeed, accusatory, I have nothing against Phyllis and also believe her to be a tremendous asset to the project.  At her request I've removed her earlier vote from the poll.

Your attempt at making me look like a cruel person is only making you look foolish.  Now, please either nominate your own peacemaker or ask the originator of this thread to change the title to "Let's Lynch Keith Murphy for Daring to Disagree with Paul."  

One thing's for sure, Paul, you've made quite sure that no one would nominate you for the title of peacemaker.
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

Zxcv

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 12:08:05 pm »

I'm not talking about her latter post, but her first one, to which you responded:
...I pride myself on keeping a level head and not indulging in character assassinations and snide comments.  

Phyllis, I would greatly appreciate it if you would write to me in confidence and tell me what led to your comment.  I'm pretty surprised to see that you believe this, and I wish you would discuss any negative opinion you have of me, with me, before posting it to a public forum.  I respect you and your opinions, and would like to clear up any misunderstanding as soon as possible.  Thanks.

That's pretty clearly a public spanking; your tone is as if a parent to a child.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Tell you what, I'll continue this one privately with you...

Rearden

• FSP Participant
    • Free State Project
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 12:18:02 pm »

I'm not talking about her latter post, but her first one, to which you responded:
...I pride myself on keeping a level head and not indulging in character assassinations and snide comments.  

Phyllis, I would greatly appreciate it if you would write to me in confidence and tell me what led to your comment.  I'm pretty surprised to see that you believe this, and I wish you would discuss any negative opinion you have of me, with me, before posting it to a public forum.  I respect you and your opinions, and would like to clear up any misunderstanding as soon as possible.  Thanks.

That's pretty clearly a public spanking; your tone is as if a parent to a child.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Tell you what, I'll continue this one privately with you...

No such tone or "spanking" was intended; I was actually pretty distressed to read her comment, as we'd never exchanged any type of sharp words before.  I genuinely wanted to clear up any misunderstanding, but just wanted to suggest that this thread wasn't the best place to do it.  

If Phyllis took it as a "spanking," and she contacted me to let me know this, then I would apologize for coming across that way -- like I said, it certainly wasn't intended.

Along the same vein, thanks for taking any private banter off-forum.
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 01:01:44 pm »

Keith responded to heated: “You got to be kidding”, after George proposed to nominate him as the best peacemaker in this forum. Philis did not say why, but such a remark means: he is nothing like peacemaker, or he is opposite to peacemaker.
Keith’s respond was natural, polite and the way everybody would respond: “talk to me in private. What are your objections”. This was nothing of inflammatory in Keith’s response.
For the time I am watching this forum and the yahoo forum, Keith never attacked debating people, who usually attacked him after his posts.
Keith has unusual talent in digging up, finding stuff and interpreting it. Westerners do not like it and instead of attacking his interpretation or rebutting his findings, they attack Keith. I have seen efforts to assassinate Keith’s character, questioning his integrity, accusing him of all imaginable evils. All westerner’s attacks were without any supporting facts, completely uncalled. Keith never responded in such situations as many would. He never called names, questioned mental abilities /disabilities of the accusers. And yet anything posted by Keith creates stormy, many times uncivilized reaction of westerner supporters.
Just like this here.
Let’s hope the others will judge this all properly.
Keith in my opinion is the most peaceful, cool headed and self disciplined person I know, he can be the best peacemaker, regardless every post of his, creates such a war by some most active western supporters. I vote for Keith in any other contest.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

phylinidaho

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 02:12:18 pm »

All I said was, "A bit of an overreaction, IMO."  

As I think it was.  Her vote, as listed, was publicly posted on this very forum by her very action.  If you read her post I think it's hard to classify it as anything but an "overreaction."  My response was public simply because her accusation was public; if she contacted me off-list my response would have been so as well.
To those who think I overreacted, I invite you to read the following from the post in question (pay special attention to 2 & 3):
1.) If your vote is listed incorrectly, or is not listed at
all, please
email me off-list with the information. Please include all
ten states
in your vote.

2.) Votes from voting members, only, please, just as they
were mailed
to ECL.

3.) Even if your vote is listed, please make sure that all
other votes
from your household are listed as well.

4.) All emailed votes will be included within 24 hours and
the results
updated accordingly.

Number of Current Votes in Sample: 85

If I was not privy to the forum nor fully aware of who is or is not a member of the BOD, I might have taken this to be some kind of  official mandate which, even though worded as a request, should be complied with for some official purpose.

Still, though I find her choice of wording to be curious, indeed, accusatory, I have nothing against Phyllis and also believe her to be a tremendous asset to the project.  At her request I've removed her earlier vote from the poll.
I don't recall such a request, although I just now read Keith's private message suggesting that he would comply with such a request if made. I find the whole incident not only amusing, but slightly irritating.

Rearden

• FSP Participant
    • Free State Project
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2003, 02:28:13 pm »

Phyllis, you told me that the vote l copied from the "How will you vote..." thread is not accurate, so I deleted it.  After all, how could I include a vote that I know to be inaccurate.  If you wish to give me your actual vote then I'll be happy to put it in.  If not, then that's your decision and one that I respect.

Now, as far as the email goes, it certainly could have been clearer, yes.  It is what comes from sending an email at 5 am after spending two hours playing with Condorcet -- not an excuse for poor wording, just an explanation.  At the first sign that it wasn't clear that this was an informal poll I rapidly sent around a series of emails to clear up any confusion.  When you wrote to me personally, after "alerting the BOD," I wrote to you right away to clear up any confusion as well.

Yes, I think you overreacted, with an accusatory tone and hostility where none was called for.  That's my honest perception.  Once again, if you wrote to me in private with any concern I would have rapidly taken any and all steps necessary to clear up any misunderstanding.  But you came here, on a thread dedicated to peacemakers, and posted something insinuating that I had done something wrong.  

This issue pales in comparison to the message you  posted this morning:

It was a badly-worded email that needed clarification, nothing more.  

Really, folks, I'm not bashing anyone here, and this really doesn't serve any purpose.  Let's return this thread to the purpose it was created to serve.  Phyllis, as I am obviously not your nominee for peacemaker, who is?  

phylinidaho

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2003, 02:51:59 pm »

.  Phyllis, as I am obviously not your nominee for peacemaker, who is?  
No offense Dada, but I think this thread is meaningless, and do not intend to nominate anyone.

johnadams

• Friend of the FSP, Libertarian
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2003, 06:35:31 pm »

....I nominate Zug, I only see her drop-in to say something pleasant or remind people not to fight.

Yes, while I'm not familiar with her posts, her sig says it all:

"Signature:
Before you post that comment, think. The people you are talking to will soon be your neighbors. Would you talk to your neighbor in the way you are talking to those on the forum?"

Dada also deserves credit for his work here and elsewhere to promote peace and reconciliation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 06:43:48 pm by johnadams »
"men are born equally free and independent" - John Adams
World's Smallest Political Quiz

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2003, 07:00:49 pm »

I would agree that Dada deserves consideration as a peacemaker.  Hell, he started this thread didn't he! :D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2003, 09:30:02 pm »

Keith in my opinion is the most peaceful, cool headed and self disciplined person I know

I'd have to agree with this. Keith's posts are always intelligent, rational, and respectful, yet he has been subject to downright mean, sometimes vicious character assisination. Through it all he has remained polite and his responses are always carefully worded to try and smooth things over and find common ground rather than fan the flames further. I sincerely look forward to working with Keith in whatever state we end up in; he will be a tremendous asset to the FSP.

I would also say that Dada, Exitus/Kelton, Zug, and James Maynard are extraordinary and diplomatic peacemakers.

Thank you for the kind words, George and Keith, but I don't know that I really deserve to be called a peacemaker. My style is simply to ignore all the fighting and attacks and try to focus on the positives instead. Yes, I've been personally attacked on this fora and the discussion lists, but it has been no where near what Keith has suffered lately.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 12:47:45 am »

Guys!  Knock it off!

I was hoping this thread would take off at some point, happy to see that it did.  Then in I go to see all the new peacemaker nominees, and behold!

A scene like something out of an early Simpsons ephisode....that one where the psychologist gets the disfunctional fam together and plugs them all into electrodes to help them get along.  Within a minute they're shocking each other so viciously Springfield has a brownout!  

I feel like the psychologist!  

I don't know if I am important enough for it to mean something to you when I say this but:

You're letting your good friend Dada down.

Back to the topic, please:  Who are the best Which State peacemakers?   I know there are a lot more we haven't even talked about yet.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 12:48:42 am by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 07:18:52 am »

If someone posts with such vitriol and lack of sanity that all reasonable people who normally disagree with each other gang up against that person, does that make them a backhanded peacemaker?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up