Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying buildable land in lakes region - need advice on classy, respectable towns  (Read 235 times)

Aftershock00

Good afternoon,
My wife and I currently live in long island, new York. We are libertarians/constitutional conservatives, which makes where we live not such a great place for us.  I found the FSP website about 6 years ago when searching for escape routes and since then I have made it my goal to make the move to NH.  This year, we took 3, 1 week long trips to NH with our travel trailer RV. Hung out in Portsmouth, Manchester, Lee, Amherst, Mt. Washington, Brookline, Mason, Merrimack, and Hinsdale. Loved all the places except for Hinsdale.  That SW corner of the state, although pretty, had a very impoverished, white trash trailer park vibe that my wife and I felt extremely uncomfortable about (no offense to anyone living there).

My wife and I currently have good jobs right now, so it doesn’t make sense for us (yet) to fully move to NH.  That being said, we can not wait any longer to be part of the movement and claim our stake in freedom and cancel out the big government “massholes” invading NH.  Our goal to get our foot in the door is to buy property 15-30 acres, work towards paying it off, then eventually build a home on it and move there.  In the meantime, we have a RV and will visit the property and dry camp on it.  We only get 4 weeks vacation a year, and I work crazy hours, so I don’t think that will cause the area we move to have a trashy look or bother anyone, plus, with 15+ acres, I don’t think anyone will know we are there.  We’ll bring the dirtbikes, snowmobiles, guns, and bows, have some fun, and most of all, explore all NH has to offer. We are very outgoing, and I am quick to make conversations with people, especially about politics and freedom.

Originally, I was looking for property more toward the southern end of NH in the Amherst, Lee, Candia area.  Unfortunately, we can’t seem to find property for sale there that is the acreage we want, the price range we need, and quality decent useable land, not 50% wetland or oddly shaped land that is essentially the table scraps of a big subdivision.

Long story short, this has moved us up north toward the lakes region which will be a further commute from long island, but will still be pretty centrally located for when we move there to Portsmouth, Manchester, concord, north woods, etc.
To make up for the extra mileage by going further north, I’d like to move to a town that is close to I-93, which should offset the travel time via speed.

I have tried to do as much research on websites as possible by googling "life in Belmont, NH",etc to get a grasp on the vibe of the town and type of people within it (definitely don’t want that Hinsdale vibe).

Two of the properties I am interested in are Belmont and Gilmanton.  When I look on websites, I see mixed reviews.  Some say they are boring, but beautiful quiet small towns with no crime and friendly people, and others say it is full with heroin, alchoholics, crime and trashy people.  We are actually planning to visit the properties with a realtor this Saturday and of course, will do as much investigating while we are there as possible.  But of course, there is only so much one can do in a day.  It appears that property is becoming more and more scarce and prices are going up (especially compared to upstate NY price per acre).  That being said, my wife and I both want NH as our endgame (assuming it stays a free state or maybe gets free-er), so we are ready to make a big purchase which isn’t financially easy and will require compromise on other aspects of our life, but we are doing it for the long term happiness and don’t want to regret our purchase or end up struggling to sell it just to purchase property in a different area in NH.

Just wondering if I can get your perspective on if this is an area worth moving to.
Feel free to call or text me If easier at 917-596-0072.  Thank you.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage

You won't get a Hinsdale vibe anywhere in the Lakes Region, except perhaps parts of Laconia. Yes, the opioid crisis is a thing, but it's mostly a silent killer. Some of the places hardest hit by overdoses don't look at all "trashy."
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up