Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes a job ethical?  (Read 1063 times)

Danarchist

What makes a job ethical?
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:47:00 pm »

Job-searching has forced me to consider the ethics of jobs. What makes a job ethical or unethical? I approach the question as a voluntarist.

Is it the number of steps removed from bad behavior? For example, once I turned down a job offer that was soldering electronics, and the main product they went to was bombs. If dropping bombs on innocent people is bad, then I figured helping make the bombs is also bad, one step removed from the crime. So how many steps removed does a job have to be to be acceptable? If there is an intermediary, does blame lie on that person?

Or would it be a portion of the job that supports bad behavior? For example, the Sig plant in New Hampshire does not sell guns exclusively to police officers, I'm sure. So would if I don't support police as they currently operate, would a job that spends half its time supplying them be okay? 25% of the time? 10%?

If working with children, at what age do you feel children shouldn't be ordered around?

The more restrictive the job pool is for voluntarists, the larger the need for voluntarist entrepreneurs and a voluntarist community to support them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:48:34 pm by Danarchist »

dude6935

Re: What makes a job ethical?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »

Good question, and difficult to answer.

If you start at the extreme, say you are in the Army. Is that unethical on its face? I don't think so. I think you can justify working for the military if you were truly working against the military. Sadly 99% of people in the Army aren't doing that, but they could.

So I think the real question is how you spend your energy on net. Can you do more for liberty as someone closer to the inside or the outside? IDK, maybe you could answer that for yourself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up