Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: House materials & heating  (Read 582 times)

Vismon

House materials & heating
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:16:13 pm »

How common are non-wood houses in New Hampshire? What about small houses specifically? My preference would be to avoid wood construction if possible, although I suspect that is probably not going to be possible (given other considerations like location, price, etc. that inevitably narrow the options).

And, what are the most common types of home heating in New Hampshire? Are some kinds generally recognized as better than others, given the climate?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: House materials & heating
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:34:03 am »

You do see some brick homes. Not as common as wood, but not rare either.

Home heating depends on where you live. In rural areas or anywhere north of Concord, you're likely to have to choose between oil and wood pellets (or both), with propane as an option for ovens and ranges. Dartmouth has a new building that uses geothermal, but I don't know that I've seen any houses that do. In more urban areas in the southern third of the state you'll be able to use natural gas.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up