Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timelines for finding a place  (Read 920 times)

Vismon

Timelines for finding a place
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:48:35 pm »

Hello,

I expect to be moving to southern NH (within commuting distance of Boston) around 18 months from now, and I expect to be renting. It will just be me, so an apartment or small house will suit me fine.

What I am wondering is: How long does it typically take to find a place? And how far in advance of moving should one secure a place?

For context, I currently live in London, England, and the housing market moves extremely quickly. It is therefore typical to start looking for an apartment two weeks before one moves, and secure a place a week before one moves in. Nobody will hold apartments without rent being paid, since there is always someone willing to move in faster, so looking for a place further in advance is a waste of time.

On the flip side: How late can one find a place and how quickly can one expect to move in? Since I will be moving from across the Atlantic, I may be in a situation where I fly over and stay in a hotel until I can find, secure, and move into a rented apartment or house. If I can expect to find a place and move in within a week or so then that's not a big issue. If I ought to expect several weeks of looking/waiting to move in then the hotel costs are going to add up and I might need to consider renting somewhere sight unseen.

Zeijandi

Re: Timelines for finding a place
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:37 am »

With it being just you, I expect you can come over and find a place to rent in a weekend or a few days. The move-in day may not be immediate, it may be a couple of weeks or so. I would highly recommend renting until you've had time to understand which areas you like.

Vismon

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:16:48 pm »

Thank you! Very helpful.

ProjetDan

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 01:40:23 am »

save your money and don't go to hotel. Bet Idea is to rent before you move. Maybe you will loose one week rent before you move all your stuff to new house, but you will have your place rented.
Pages: [1]   Go Up