Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land in Grafton  (Read 1805 times)

plasma1010

Land in Grafton
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:07:06 pm »

Hey guys, long story short, lived in Canterbury for 2 years, moved to Seacoast, and now Im looking for land in Grafton County. I know 10 towns have no zoning, not sure how strict the others are.

The plan is buy land, put up a yurt temporarily and build a tiny home, then move.

Is anyone here living off-grid or know anyone who is ? I dont feel like putting in a septic, I want to do a composting toilet. Shouldnt matter if Im in a no-zoning town, right ?

I know for a fact states like VT require a septic and running water even in the "no zoning" towns. Thats not the lifestyle Im going for. Looking to talk to people in Grafton County who either live in RV's, tiny homes, etc. just to be sure it can be done.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Land in Grafton
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:02:31 am »

Do you know the Bardo Farm folks? They're off-grid in Croydon (Sullivan Co.). http://www.bardoproject.com/

But you're right that zoning doesn't have to do with what you want to do. That relates more to building codes. There is a statewide building code in NH, but it's enforced by towns, and not all towns have inspectors.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

plasma1010

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:36:50 am »

Okay thanks, yes actually let me revise I know in Nh, VT and ME not all towns have code enforxement or inspectors so that seems to be the deciding factor. Having a town with limited or no zoning AND no enforcement is what I want. Ill talk to the Bardo guys, thanks I kind of forgot about them.

Should I just contact towns on an individual basis when I find land to see if they have building inspectors ?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:44 pm »

Okay thanks, yes actually let me revise I know in Nh, VT and ME not all towns have code enforxement or inspectors so that seems to be the deciding factor. Having a town with limited or no zoning AND no enforcement is what I want. Ill talk to the Bardo guys, thanks I kind of forgot about them.

Should I just contact towns on an individual basis when I find land to see if they have building inspectors ?

I think I would talk to landowners in those towns first. You can also check town government websites. Some of the aspects of the building code make sense, e.g., setbacks from wetlands. You don't want to give town officials the impression you might do something irresponsible, of course.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

plasma1010

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 02:19:37 pm »

I think I would talk to landowners in those towns first. You can also check town government websites. Some of the aspects of the building code make sense, e.g., setbacks from wetlands. You don't want to give town officials the impression you might do something irresponsible, of course.

Ive never really understood how not being able to develop on or near a wetland makes sense ?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »

You wouldn't want sewage getting into the groundwater or the water destabilizing your foundation. Now, sometimes wetlands maps are inaccurate, leading to bad enforcement of these regulations, but that's another matter.

plasma1010

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:57:08 am »

I get the groundwater part, but I mean people literally live in the swamps on stilts in the deep south. I dont personally think its the governments reaponsibility to dictate my choice of home site  ;D however I can understand the sewage groundwater, still it should be education not enforcement.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 04:09:03 pm »

you should be able to do your idea in many places
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

plasma1010

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:09:24 am »

you should be able to do your idea in many places

Well, I found a great parcel in Alexandria but it has a restrictive covenant. Around every corner I get into a snag. This one is no livestock or junk cars, I dont care about the junk cars part but Im certainly gonna have chickens and sheep if I so please on my land.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:15 pm »

probably another place will work
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up