Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for roommates after Porcfest  (Read 460 times)

kenny_voluntaryist

• My Facebook Profile
Looking for roommates after Porcfest
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:04 am »

I'm Kenny, and my partner and I will be moving to New Hampshire during Porcfest. Once there we'll be looking for a place in or around Keene. I've been in contact with Chris Lopez and Mark Warden - the resources they've given me have been great, but the Facebook housing group hasn't been much help.

We're moving from central Kentucky and have a limited budget. We're used to monthly rent being $400 to $600, and the New Hampshire monthly rentals of $1,000 plus might be too rich for our blood. But it would be doable if we found roommate(s) to split the rent with. We're both workers and blue-collar polymaths. She's in her early 40s and I'm in my late 20s.

In my search, "no pets" is a common phrase, and that's a pity. Our Shih Tzu lapdog is housebroken, timid, and friendly with other people and pets. Neither of us are tobacco-smokers.

So if you live in or around Keene and looking for roommates or know of cheap two-bedroom rentals, let me know, please. If you have any questions just ask and I'll answer if I can.
- Kenny Kelly

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Looking for roommates after Porcfest
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:56:54 am »

Is there a particular reason you want to be near Keene? (Job, etc.) How far out of Keene could you go?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

kenny_voluntaryist

• My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »

Is there a particular reason you want to be near Keene? (Job, etc.) How far out of Keene could you go?

For me, it's the activism, friends, and everything I heard about Keene. For my partner, it's because of the schools (she has a teenage son that will be moving up there with us in a year or so), the valley aspect, and everything she's also heard of it.

We like the idea of Surry, Chesterfield, or Swanzey if we cannot find a roommate.
- Kenny Kelly

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:50:58 pm »

Well, I would suggest visiting the state first to see what is going on in various places before settling on one spot. Keene is much less a hub for activism than it was six or seven years ago, and there are good schools everywhere. Another reason I mention it is that it would be easy to find a Porc landlord in Manchester, and Keene is also one of the highest-rent areas. A lot of the stuff for rent in Keene is going to be room-in-a-house types of situations.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »

The zeitgeist in Keene may not be the same as it was several years ago, and the faces have changed over the years, but we still have some of the most effective activists in the state. 

That's why Keene is the #1 bitcoin-accepting city in the world, because of a core group of excellent activists.  We have a fraction of the bitcoiners of big cities like Manch, but ours are far more organized and effective.

That said, it's always a good idea to consider multiple destinations, but if Keene seems attractive to you based on the activism here, you'll probably fit right in.  Beware, there's a certain group of Free Staters outside of Keene who look down their noses at us and will talk negatively about you just for being here.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

David Jurist

• Shire Bitcoin
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 11:15:24 pm »

Hi Kenny. Keene is a great place to get your feet wet. Most of the state's best activists started out there. Some still live there while others have moved to other parts of the state. I recently moved out of Keene. It depends on what type of environment you prefer to live, work, and play in. If you like small quiet towns, it will be a perfect fit for you. Me personally, I get bored easy and prefer the bigger cities.
Shire Bitcoin - http://ShireBitcoin.org
Shire Society - http://ShireSociety.com
Free Keene - http://FreeKeene.com

mr.penguin

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »

Keene is well known for attracting the 'hard core' activists. We routinely find ourselves being in the majority at the state house despite having a smaller number relative to Manchester and other bigger cities. We have Bitcoin/crypto meetups weekly, multiple social meetups, and other social events nearby. There are regular police accountability outings every week and sometimes multiple times a week, though we tend to go and do more than just Keene. There are people here fighting court cases, running for office, and lobbying.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 08:24:43 am »

I'm glad more is going on in Keene than I realized. :) You can get a good feel for what's happening around the state by visiting www.nhcalendar.org.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:00:40 am »

In Keene the rents are not cheap (as you already found). Many other places in NH would be similar.
You also found how surrounding areas from Keene are much cheaper and less government.
It will be a transition from Kentucky, the prices of most things are higher.
But you will find many cool people to work with.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

kenny_voluntaryist

• My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »

Thank you all for your comments.

I hate winters, and my partner being a Native Hawaiian really hates the cold, so northern and central New Hampshire are automatically no for us. And valleys have less snowfall and windfall than other cities - so Keene works that way.

We'll be visiting the state at Porcfest. This move isn't completely blind; neither of us want to stay in Kentucky (she doesn't want to go back to Hawaii), we've done our homework of the state and of moving, and all of the towns we narrowed to were little cities and big towns.

Manchester, Nashua, and Portsmouth are as expensive as Keene and none of those three were on our list to begin with. If the fact neither of want to live in a major city wasn't enough, commuting for work at Lexington, Kentucky cemented it.

And all the places we've looked at there are more rentals online in Keene than Milton, Hudson, Hollis, Milford, Exeter, etc.

Neither my partner or I expect this to go off without a hitch. With no help here, we're having to do this on our own, and we won't let nothing hold us down. If during apartment- or room-hunting the best we can find is outside of Keene, we'll consider it.
- Kenny Kelly

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 07:40:54 am »

it is cheaper the farther you get from Boston, as long as you avoid certain expensive places.
The weather is not that different from one place to another south of the notches.
Noreasters don't hit Keene as much.
If you can meet lots of people, maybe you can score a better renting situation.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

mr.penguin

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »

Keene's weather is about the same as where where I grew up in western New Jersey. It can get pretty darn cold in the morning during a month or two of the year- but that's why you got this thing called a heater. Use it! The summers are relatively mild, but it does get warm during a few months of the year just as it gets cold during a few months of the year. An air conditioner is recommended, but as someone who hates heat I did manage to get by without one for a good percentage of the hot season last summer just fine.

Talking rents... I don't think Keene is that expensive. But I'm also probably coming from a relatively well off and more expensive area. However it's nothing compared to places I've visited. A small 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment in Seattle is apparently going for $2,600 these days. That's more than my mortgage in Keene! I rented a relatively small 1 bedroom apartment apartment in New Jersey (the living room was pretty decent size actually, but it was just 1 living room and 1 bedroom, and walk through kitchen) for $900 3-4 years ago. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find something a lot cheaper than that in Keene. A quick look on Craigslist I found a place for a little less than $900 which included heat and other stuff that was a lot nicer than what I was renting back in New Jersey. I know people who rent rooms here for a lot lot less than this and I suspect whole apartments near, but not in Keene.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything