Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The unknown history of mass forced public schooling  (Read 7299 times)

Exterminatus

• I'm a llama!
The unknown history of mass forced public schooling
« on: October 18, 2002, 05:26:56 pm »

http://johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm

An outstanding book that I reccomend EVERYONE with even an iota of concern for what the state is doing to our children ought to read. If there was ever a doubt that my children were to be homeschooled, it exists no longer.

The author, John Taylor Gatto, was a tenured teacher who left out of his own volition due to his disgust with the way the schools were programming children.

Not only does he describe, in detail, the pre-meditated steps that the school administrators enfrorce to shatter the individual will of the students, he also shows the history of how the "need" arose.

Ever wonder why public schools do so poorly? It's intentional! SURPRISE SURPRISE!

Frightening, sickening, and fascinating at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2002, 05:28:54 pm by Exterminatus »

maestro

Re:The unknown history of mass forced public schooling
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 07:56:03 pm »

Does he start at the Spartan society, or does he start at modern forms of schooling?

Mega Joule

Re:The unknown history of mass forced public schooling
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2002, 11:00:27 am »

http://johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm

An outstanding book that I reccomend EVERYONE with even an iota of concern for what the state is doing to our children ought to read. If there was ever a doubt that my children were to be homeschooled, it exists no longer.

Thanks for the link.  I have his other book, "Dumbing Us Down," and really enjoyed it.  It is a simple and concise statement of what he sees as the basic problems in the current public educational system.  

I started reading this new book online and it looks like it will be another enlightening work.  I will probably send off for it even as I read it online.  The web site has a discussion board with some interesting dialog on homeschooling, government interfernce in parenting, and other such.

Looks like another insightful work from Mr. Gatto.

Meg
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything