Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning on moving Spring 2018  (Read 450 times)

RP2016

Planning on moving Spring 2018
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:35:28 am »

I lasted posted on here in 2015 and said we were looking to move in 1-3 years. 2 years later and plus one more kid we finally have a target date of Spring 2018 for the move. My family has lived in Maryland our whole lives, but we have visited New Hampshire several times and feel like it is the right place for us long term. We last visited this past December for 3 days and looked around the area to make sure it truly is a place we want to live. We are targeting moving somewhere within 20 minutes of the Nashua to Concord area (my wife wants to be within 20 minutes of a reasonably large town/city). Both my wife and I enjoy hiking and snowboarding. We also really enjoy how friendly people are in New Hampshire. In the megapolis (D.C. to New York) people tend to be rude. Our experience is that this is not the case in New Hampshire. There is a very warm feeling you get when interacting with people from this area. New Hampshire is also near the top in average IQ for the U.S. at around 104. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for making this transition?

Levi

• RealtorĀ®. Photographer.
Re: Planning on moving Spring 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:01 am »

My biggest suggestion is to rent for a year before buying.  You really have to live in NH to understand the differences with the regions and towns. 

You guys will love it here.  I'm way into outdoors stuff and am the admin for the FSP outdoor recreation group.  I agree with you about the natives and I love them.  In fact, even though I'm pretty involved with the liberty community, most of my closest friends are natives and outsiders to the FSP community.

RP2016

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:45:37 pm »

My wife says the same thing that she wants to rent before we buy a place. I just don't love the idea of moving and then moving again a year later. Do you think it would take a whole year or do you think we could make up our minds after 6 months or so of renting?

Levi

• RealtorĀ®. Photographer.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:29 pm »

Well, in six months you can't experience all four seasons and what each brings to whichever area you think you may want to live in.  Right now I am in the process of helping another out-of-state mover purchase a home without living in NH at all.  Some people don't want to rent.  I personally just think it's good to hold off for a year.  If you can't do that, maybe try to visit a few more times to explore areas that interest you.  If you guys can visit, I'd be happy to get together over coffee and talk about NH. 

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:13:40 pm »

If you already know the area of NH where you want to live, I think it's reasonable to buy right away - but only after doing a lot of research on local governments, which vary significantly and profoundly affect the quality of services and level of property taxation. You'll want to take into account both the current tax rate and what it is likely to be given the town's age distribution and quality of the school buildings. (Don't move somewhere that's about to go on a building binge.) You'll also want to take into account zoning laws and the amount of house you can buy for your money. The "NH towns" spreadsheet helps with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3904587/nhtowns15.xls .
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up