Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving in a week!  (Read 1112 times)

malachy33

Moving in a week!
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »

Hello All,
     Thought I would introduce myself. I am Ryan, a 38 year old Senior IT Systems Engineer currently living in Orlando, FL. I am hopping the Auto Train to DC, and driving the rest of the way to NH a week from tomorrow. I have already found a house and gotten most of the logistics for the move taken care of. I have family that moved to NH years ago, so I have spent plenty of time in the state in the past. It is so great to finally be moving there for good. I'll be living in the Lakes Region area and luckily I am able to keep my current position with my FL based company and work remotely.

I will share some of my experiences with preparing for the move so far for the benefit of others making the journey in future. I was able to make a trip up about 6 weeks ahead of the actual move. I spent the time discovering the lay of the land and searching for housing. I was able to search Craig's List and line up quite a few houses to look at when I was up for the pre-move visit. I was extremely lucky and found a place the second day I was in NH which allowed me to spend some time with family rather than spending the whole time planning the move. We took a drive up through the mountains as we arrived at the peak of the leaves changing, and it was beautiful. My suggestion for finding a house to rent is to hit Craig's list and e-mail and call as many potential leads are are within your area and price range. I found that everyone was very kind and extremely willing to do everything they could to accommodate the extended time frame of my move plans. I found that dealing with individuals was far better than dealing with properties that were managed by rental agencies. The agencies wanted application fees up front and were far less flexible with anything.

I have spent the majority of my life in the South East/Central US, and these are the biggest differences I have seen. I setup power through EverSource, and was amazed to find that they did not want a large deposit up front for electric service. A $14.95 connection fee on the first bill and my information was all it took to arrange the power to be transferred into my name. Metrocast is the Cable provider in the area. They required me to provide a copy of my lease as well as a signed agreement with a copy of my drivers license to get an install for service organized. They have no deposit, but charge a pretty steep $99.00 connection fee which can be split over the first 3 months bills. Water/Sewer/Trash are provided by the city, but are included in my rent....so I have no experience with the service setup there. The place I am renting uses oil for heat. The tank is full for me when I get there, so chances are I will not have to deal with filling it this year, but what I have discovered is heating oil is a pretty local/regional market. There will be multiple providers with multiple payment options and pricing in your area. The one thing I have been constantly warned about is not to do a pre-pay plan for oil as these local distributors have been known to go out of business and take the pre-payments with them. I guess the most important thing there is to shop around and do your research for your provider of heating oil and they way in which you choose to pay for it.

Probably the worst experience I have had so far is dealing with my vehicle transfer. To be completely fair, these headaches are caused just as much by Florida as they are by NH. To transfer my license is a simple matter of paying $50 at the nearest DMV, providing identification and proof of residency, and taking an eye exam. The fun part is getting your vehicle title and registration transferred. You must first go to your local tax collector/city hall and pay a small fee to start the process. They then request the state to get the information from your previous state and your lein holder if you are making payments. I was told that this could take up to 6 weeks, even though the state requires you to complete the process in 30 days. Once all the paperwork is returned to the state, they then send you a letter which you take back to your local municipality to pay your registration and tag fees. These are based on the value of your vehicle, can be pretty expensive and are calculated by a system that makes absolutely no sense if you read it three times. Luckily there is a site that will do the calculations for you here:

https://www.eb2gov.com/EB2Gov.dll/EReg/GetQuote?TownCode=646&SID={266726ED-E547-42D0-B58E-A15EFDF8F2A7

Another thing to consider is that NH requires both front and back license plates. My vehicle does not even have a mounting place for a front plate, but there are a multitude of styles available on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=front+license+plate+mount&sprefix=front+license+plate%2Caps%2C226&crid=ZMK40LCHDEPJ

I considered having my vehicle transported and flying up to avoid the 26 hour drive through every major city on the eastern seaboard. If you are considering this option....my recommendation is DON'T. The car transport business is a major racket run by brokers. You can't book a transport directly with anyone that own's trucks, you have to go through these sleazy brokers that will lie, cheat, and steal to get your money. I investigated about a dozen companies (I tried to stick to ones with good reputations/reviews, but none of them have clean records).  I wanted to move my belongings in my vehicle, all of them said that it was fine....but a quick glance at a google search will uncover a trove of people who either had the driver refuse to transport another 100 pounds of stuff in a 2 ton car, or plenty that just flat out had their possessions stolen as you have to give the driver your keys. I elected to take the Auto Train and drive the rest of the way to save myself the hassle.

I think that about wraps up my experiences so far, I hope this info is useful to others making the move. One last thing that I will say to anyone coming from the south-east, the number one thing you will find different in NH is that the people are friendly, educated, and pleasant to be around. You will not find the dumb, ignorant, self centered masses that you tend to find in most of the south. You will experience what a true community that is full of people that believe in living life to the fullest, who stick together and are there for each other....something I have never experienced in the south.

Good luck to everyone making the move,

Ryan
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:36:48 pm by malachy33 »

jediquillguy

Re: Moving in a week!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 04:27:54 pm »

We warmly welcome to our lovely state! I would strongly recommend to try simply not putting a front plate on. It seems like a very large fraction of cars do not have front plates even when their back plate is a New Hampshire plate. My guess is that the front plate is an unenforced law. I know people who have no front plates and yet when pulled over the officer said nothing about it, but I don't know if that is something people can get away with everywhere in the state. If the cop says something tell them that you'll have to get your mechanic to get the front-end modified and maybe if he can please just let it slide while you get that worked out with the mechanic.

What is the most you'd want to pay to have the car transported? Maybe one of us would be willing to drive it up here for you?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:31:45 pm by jediquillguy »

malachy33

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »

Actually, both the Car and I are already here...but thanks for the offer. I and the car took the Amtrak Auto Train from Florida to Washington DC. I drove the rest of the way and got in on Tuesday morning. Just going through the motions of getting everything all sorted out at the house, but it is so nice to be back in NH!

trevorparscal

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:30:45 am »

How exciting! Welcome to New Hampshire. Hope to meet you at an upcoming event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything