Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Touristy Location to Start This Biz in New England?  (Read 1381 times)

Klay

Best Touristy Location to Start This Biz in New England?
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:39:03 am »

I had a business idea. I was working on the plan for financing. It was going to be located in the Smokey Mountain tourism area (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc). My wife seemed to be on board, but has recently confessed that she hates the heat and strip-mall sprawl. She likes the mountains, though. She would love to move to New England. Could we make this work anywhere up there? Where?

PROBLEM STATEMENT
While on vacation, middle class families would like to have a professional photograph as a memento of their trip. Many of these tourists prefer that these photos have a unique and or humorous theme. Because of this, they patronize the traditional “Old Tyme Photography” providers. These studios, however, are limited in theme, as patrons often are only able to choose from a select number of vintage Americana settings such as the “Wild West” or “1920s Gangster.”

BUSINESS DESCRIPTION
Service: By utilizing green screen technology, Fantasy Foto will offer tourists several alternative scenes (ie Sci-Fi, Fairies, Princesses, Pirates, Sports, etc) that are unique, enticing, high quality, and fun for the whole family. More importantly though, we sell the experience of dressing up, playing a character, and interacting with the scene. We must value their limited vacation time by making the experience as fun and memorable as possible.

TYPICAL CUSTOMER
Middle class family of 4 (one boy one girl). One child is middle school. One child is grade school. Parents are in their late 30s.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Best Touristy Location to Start This Biz in New England?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:06:39 am »

This is an interesting business idea. My family might patronize such a business. You could even take it beyond pictures to movies, although that may require a lot more hands-on editing.

NH's tourist hot spots are a lot less crowded and, frankly, garish than Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I can't say whether there would be enough traffic to support something like this, but quite possibly. The best locations might be Lincoln and Conway. They have four-season tourist traffic. Weirs Beach and Hampton Beach get heavy summer traffic. You might want to come see these places on a summer, winter, or early October weekend to see for yourself whether peak traffic is up to your hopes.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Klay

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:26:49 pm »

Cool!

What about the tourist traffic in Laconia? Littleton? Berlin?

Thanks!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:46:40 am »

All those areas get *some* tourists, but they're not places where you'd go to find this sort of business, at least year-round. Conway and Lincoln really are towns that cater to tourists. Laconia does too during the 3 summer months.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything