Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family of 5 from FL looking to move next summer  (Read 1344 times)

junglequeensheena

Family of 5 from FL looking to move next summer
« on: July 23, 2016, 06:07:57 pm »

Hello I am a mother to 3 kids ages 9, 6 and 1 year. My husband and I are really excited to join this project and have actually been wanting to move to NH for 7 years now.

Our biggest fears are jobs, being able to afford to move and live in NH, and of course schools and kid friendly communities.

My husband is currently a tour guide/monster truck driver at an Orange grove here in FL. He was also a Gator wrestler at Gatorland before that, and is very knowledgeable on reptiles. He has been a waiter/expo and line cook.

Ideally I'd like to not have to work once we move being I will have no family in NH to help me with the kids. Not sure this is an option but one can hope. Looking to find a strong community of moms to point me to the best places for meet ups and kid friendly activities.

Thanks

trevorparscal

Re: Family of 5 from FL looking to move next summer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:57:03 am »

Do you homeschool? It does seem challenging to get a job before moving. It's also risky to move without a job. I can tell you that compared to the San Francisco Bay Area, NH is a very affordable place to live. I realize that isn't saying much :(

Good luck with your move. I'm always excited to see more families joining the project.

- Trevor

politicalGRAFFITI

• New Hampshire Underground Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:55:28 pm »

Have to bring his own gator.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »

It's easy to meet Porc families all over the state (here's one way that's facilitated: https://www.facebook.com/groups/144505755760053/). The job thing is mostly up to your own initiative, but one way to find leads is to visit the state and meet people.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

malachy33

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:49:19 pm »

I am making the move from Orlando next week. I just made a post http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=28723.0 that has some info you might find helpful. I am taking the Auto Train from Sanford to Lorton, VA and driving the remainder. I will follow up and let you know how that experience goes. I would suggest that you look at moving to one of the cities in the mountains of the state like Conway. I would imagine that your husband could find work at one of the many tourist attractions like Clark's Trading Post with his skills. I would say the only drawback there is that the work would be seasonal unlike here in Florida where they operate year round. The tourist industry in NH is far more domestic and does not have the year round support of the international travelers like central Florida attractions do.

As far as your children's education....I can attest that the NH public schools are light years ahead of anything here in FL. I moved up with my father when I was finishing high school, and found myself far behind the students there. The great thing is the schools provide far more help for that type of situation than they would here in FL. I worked hard and with the extra help of the teachers there I was caught up in a matter of months, and got a far better education int he end.

I have spent plenty of time in FL and NH, if there is anything I can help with or questions I can answer....feel free to ask!

Good luck with your moving plans, hope to see you up there soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up