Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of moving for the first time from California.  (Read 1376 times)

Andy7

Thinking of moving for the first time from California.
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:56:59 pm »

Hello, I'm Andy. I enjoy the outdoors, and am interested in pretty much any method of acquiring your own food as a method of recreation. Currently I do some hunting, fishing, and gardening, though I am not very experienced in any of these areas. I hear that New Hampshire is a great place for hunting and fishing, and if true that is pretty cool.

I am 29 years old, have a bachelors degree in accounting, and have lived in California all my life. I am not a CPA, nor do I have the educational requirements in CA to become one as the current requirements are now essentially that I need to have a Masters degree before I can take the exam. I have worked in Accounts payable, and in roles similar to accounts receivable since I received my bachelors degree. I have worked primarily as a temp, either because the companies I worked for did not want permanent workers or because they were in the process of downsizing or moving out of California. For this, and other reasons I have long wanted to leave for just about any other state. However, previously I had little savings so the prospect of moving anywhere seemed out of reach. I now have five thousand dollars in savings, and I expect that my current job will last at least until the end of the year allowing me to save up a bit more. I have been determined to leave California, even before I knew anything about the free state project. When I recently learned about the free state project, I decided to make this account so that I could ask some questions.

So my questions are,

1: For jobs like accounts payable and accounts receivable, where would be a good part of New Hampshire to move to? For whatever area people mention could they also tell me about that areas public transportation? I own a car, but if I moved to an area where one wasn't necessary I would consider selling it so that I would have more savings.

2: If I got an apartment in that area, realistically, how long should I expect a job search to last? What are the experiences of people that move to New Hampshire and try to get a job? I want to have some understanding of this, because I want to know if the amount of savings I will have when I try to move to New Hampshire will be enough.

3: Realistically, is there any chance of getting a job in New Hampshire before moving there? I have never done anything like that, and I don't know anyone who has. I usually get my jobs through placement agencies like Accountemps (Robert and Half).

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Thinking of moving for the first time from California.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:21:27 am »

NH is great for hunting and fishing. Also not bad for gardening, though the soil is rocky and, in much of the state, acidic. Farmers' markets are abundant.

The population centers are in the southern-southeastern parts of the state (Manchester, Concord, Nashua, and Portsmouth). You'll likely find more job openings there, though you should probably look all over. You can certainly apply for jobs (search indeed.com, Linkedin, etc.) before moving, but I would recommend getting a NH cell number (and ideally a private mailbox in NH) so that employers take your applications more seriously. My sense is that in a field as general as yours, you can find a job within 2-3 months. However, I recommend having 6 months' worth of savings on hand just in case. BTW, you don't need a Master's degree to sit for the CPA exam in NH: http://www.nh.gov/jtboard/boafaq.htm#requirements

Public transportation - I can only speak to my area (Lebanon-Hanover), where there is a free bus network. You could get by without a car if you lived close to a bus stop. I'm sure there are parts of the cities mentioned above where you could also get by without a car.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 11:47:23 pm »

Hi Andy, I came from CA as well.

1: For jobs like accounts payable and accounts receivable, where would be a good part of New Hampshire to move to? For whatever area people mention could they also tell me about that areas public transportation? I own a car, but if I moved to an area where one wasn't necessary I would consider selling it so that I would have more savings.

Check out the NH seacoast. There is an inter-town bus called COAST (http://www.coastbus.org/routes_by_map.html)

2: If I got an apartment in that area, realistically, how long should I expect a job search to last? What are the experiences of people that move to New Hampshire and try to get a job? I want to have some understanding of this, because I want to know if the amount of savings I will have when I try to move to New Hampshire will be enough.

Each industry varies, and I can't comment on yours.

3: Realistically, is there any chance of getting a job in New Hampshire before moving there? I have never done anything like that, and I don't know anyone who has. I usually get my jobs through placement agencies like Accountemps (Robert and Half).

Not likely, you kind of have to take the plunge. Most people move and then secure a job.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:13:56 pm by Kamekazi Seagull »

trevorparscal

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:22:40 am »

How's the move coming along? We just got here from CA, and we are really loving it.

- Trevor

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:12:17 pm »

You answered my question:
I haven't gotten much more that a couple thank-you replies from jobs recruiters. It has been discouraging.
If the answer really is: take the plunge. Then, this will be scarier than anything I've ever done.

trevorparscal

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:19:05 pm »

I hear you man. I was lucky enough to be able to keep my job and just work from NH, but I'm in the process of selling, buying, renting and moving simultaneously. This is by far the craziest thing I've ever done, and I've blown through more savings in the past few months than I ever thought possible.

I know that this has been great for me, my wife and my 3 young kids, and it's been totally worth it. NH has been better than we expected, and the free staters we've met have all been amazing people who have similar values to us - and that is hard to find anywhere.

I wish you luck in your job search. Hang in there man.

- Trevor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything