Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving this summer  (Read 2883 times)

trevorparscal

Moving this summer
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:57:51 am »

Hello all. We are leaving California this summer, and are excited about participating in the FSP. We'll be at Porcfest this year, after which we'll be looking at places to live. Assuming all goes well, we will make our final decision after our trip and move in August.

We are family-oriented liberty-loving people who homeschool our children and are looking forward to a more relaxed and free way of life. We look forward to making friends with similar principals.

If I may ask, has this forum become less active than it once was because Free Staters have moved conversations to Facebook? My wife and I don't use Facebook for privacy and freedom concerns, so I don't know how active FSP is there, but this forum is rather quiet given the move has just recently been triggered and Porcfest is around the corner.

In any case, we look forward to meeting folks  in person at Porcfest and touring the state a bit.

- Trevor

porcupineamy

• Porcupine Real Estate
Moving to NH
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:20:41 am »

Welcome, Trevor! We've helped several folks move from California to NH, and they are all so much happier here.

Much of the discussion about relocation is now on Facebook. Several people use aliases when using Facebook, due to some of the issues you mentioned in your post.

If you have questions about relocation, homeschooling, the current real estate market or rentals, you can email us at Team Porcupine Real Estate - info@porcupinerealestate.com. We have a team of agents who can help you find the perfect home, and we also have a dedicated rental expert. I am very familiar with the homeschooling community in/around southern NH and can answer questions on that, too.

Best of luck to you!
Amy
Amy Lowe
Porcupine Real Estate
PorcupineRealEstate.com
 *Link Removed*

politicalGRAFFITI

• New Hampshire Underground Forum
Re: Moving this summer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:18:16 pm »

We don't do Facebook either.

Much of what we do isn't here or on Facebook, we are on the NHunderground forum and personal connections established.

trevorparscal

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:55:21 am »

Amy, thanks for the offer, we may be in touch soon. Even though we are looking to buy, we will need a short term rental to live in initially, so it's great that you guys can help with both.

politicalGRAFFITI, thanks for the heads up about NHunderground. A that forum strictly for people who have already moved, or are prospective movers active there as well?

- Trevor

politicalGRAFFITI

• New Hampshire Underground Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:51:09 am »

Amy, thanks for the offer, we may be in touch soon. Even though we are looking to buy, we will need a short term rental to live in initially, so it's great that you guys can help with both.
Check out Porc Manor

politicalGRAFFITI, thanks for the heads up about NHunderground. A that forum strictly for people who have already moved, or are prospective movers active there as well?

- Trevor

All are welcome...  8)

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:29:23 pm »

I too am in CA, planning to move this summer. Same situation, makes sense to rent first. I'm looking at Manch because it seems to have the most potential for work.

trevorparscal

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 08:17:30 am »

I'm here. In a rental for a few months while we purchase something. Good to be here!

- Trevor

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 12:56:59 pm »

Nice! Glad to have you all here. Which town/city?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

trevorparscal

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »

We're in Bedford for a few months while we purchase a place in Concord. Very happy to be here. I'll try and show up at some upcoming event once the dust settles.

KDus

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »

I'm discouraged. Seems I'm facing, moving without a job(from CA). I'm reexamining my priorities. I can get more freedom in places that are closer, and have more job prospects. I committed to NH and the date is set. Wheels are turning Aug 15 and notices have been given. Yet, nothing is panning out. I can survive longer on my savings and lower the moving cost by going elsewhere. :(
So much has come together for me: Won my long legal battle, a wonderful partner that appreciates the cause of freedom and wants to go with me, respectable savings, lease ended for my rental, kids are out of school, my commute changed so I sold the motorcycle.....blah blah blah
I keep wondering if my heroes  would take the risk.
I guess I'm asking for magic words to tell me what to do. I'm sitting here in a half empty house amidst moving boxes and I don't know where I'm going.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:12 am »

It's tough to find work here from out of state. Some have done it, but many have had to take the moving plunge first. What do your savings look like? If you have six months of living expenses saved up, I advise making the move. The unemployment rate is low here (dipping under 3%), and you can be confident about finding work within that time unless you're in a super-specialized field. If it's just three months, then that's a tough call. You might be forced to take something you don't really want long-term. If you come, definitely get a small, affordable rental first and then re-evaluate after you find work.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

KDus

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 08:47:51 pm »

Thanks Jason, yes, I have about 6 months saved, and yes, I'm in a specialized field. So, if I get work outside that, I'll make half.
The one response I've gotten said I'm overqualified, but they'd consider me if I lived in NH. And, it is clear they couldn't pay what I'm used to.

So, you summed it up nicely. My lady friend has offers in Kansas City, where savings goes twice as far. It will be a tough sell to pick an apartment, farther away, without a job.... her job ends July 29.

Can I get an apartment for me and 2 kids, without a job?  getting scary. :-[

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33:21 pm »

You certainly can. I don't believe we've had to reveal employment information when renting here before. There are also Porc landlords who will be flexible on that score.

KDus

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 12:26:15 pm »

I ended up in Kansas City. 3 weeks in motels. Got a rental by paying 6 months rent up front. Still no job. Interviewed twice with a company that has a branch in Manchester. So, maybe that will work out and I can transfer down the road.
It was about 1900 miles with 2 vehicles towing 2 more, and 2 dogs.
I got more freedom by moving.
Pages: [1]   Go Up