Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I Sign?  (Read 2905 times)

FreeGuy711

Should I Sign?
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:45:25 pm »

Hello all, Just wondering what members think about this..

I have been following the FSP for a while and deliberating on whether to sign the pledge or not. I have every intention if I sign to make the effort to move however I am not 100% certain if I will succeed in that. I am wondering if one with the intention to move should sign or leave that to people who are certain they will be able to make the move.

Just wondering opinions on others who have signed the pledge. I don't want to take this lightly. And my goal will be to move to NH regardless if I am a signer but I just would love to be a part of it. And time is running out...which is awesome :)

Thanks,
Chris from IL
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:56:14 pm by FreeGuy711 »

SkippyBob

• FSP Participant
Re: Should I Sign?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 01:36:47 pm »

Greetings FreeGuy711!

I faced the same feelings of uncertainty when I signed back in 2004.
I decided that, if life REALLY got in the way, then I would just have
to apologize and bow out.  Fortunately reaching 20000 signers took time,
and I think I am in a better position to move now than I was then.  Although,
I feel I squandered most of the time anyway.

So, if you really believe in the statement of intent, and you would like to
move to New Hampsire anyway, I would say go ahead and sign.  According
to this article in The Concord Monitor, Jason Sorens is only planning
on 6,000 to 8,000 people actually going through with the move in 5 years
anyway:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/readerservices/politicsnewsletterxml/20557462-95/free-state-project-nears-20000-signers-setting-stage-for-libertarian-influx

I hope he's low on the eventual number, but I can see 5 years being tough for
those who signed within the last few years.

I hope you decide to go for it!

FreeGuy711

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:59:15 pm »

Thanks for the reply! The biggest reason I want to sign is it will motivated me more to get it together...

I have already started saving for a trip and then some "life got in the way" as they say and I had to start all over. I think I will just start saving up again and take my time. I will keep an eye on the count. Still just excited it's almost done.

Thanks again,
Chris

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:19:59 pm »

If you want to be part of the first 20,000 sign now.  If you want to wait, it's not like we won't still be trying to find people to move for the next 5 years.  We're 420 away from 20,000 as I post this, that's 20 people from 98%.  The attention we're getting for being close seems to have caused a large number of fence sitters to jump off and sign, or is reaching people who never heard or thought much about it until they see that 20,000 is going to happen within a couple of weeks if the trend continues as it has.

So if you think you can move within the next 5 years, and you want to move within the next 5 years, please get us 1 more person closer to 20,000.

FreeGuy711

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 03:42:05 pm »

Thanks guys, I've realized maybe I just started to seriously consider moving too close to the end. I'd like to visit before totally committing anyways even though I have little doubt I won't love it there. I just found out about the FSP later than was ideal. Now I can stop stressing about this. NH isn't going anywhere I know that. Thanks for your input.

-Chris

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48:23 pm »

I think you should sign if you intend to come, even if you are not 100% certain: https://freestateproject.org/blogs/statement-intent-isnt-promise
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

FreeGuy711

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:47:30 am »

I like that explanation... However, I think the comment a few comments down by tjsace1 kind of covers how I feel. Thank you for sharing. I am glad I asked here, I don't have anyone to talk to about this who understands the reason one would want to participate in such a project. I spent most of the last year that I have known about the FSP fantasizing about it rather than being realistic. I am just now being realistic and 5 years I don't think I can be there. I will try and prove myself wrong though. But between some family stuff and money, I've got work to do.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:17 am »

Well freeguy, you couldn't do much worse than living in IL!
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

Don't worry Freeguy, just move when you can.  Things happen in life and sometimes you find yourself with an opportunity to move.  Just don't let it pass you by if it comes ;)
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »

move before the next big blizzard in Il.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up