Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strategic moving?  (Read 1578 times)

crasch

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Strategic moving?
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:52 pm »

When I move, I'd like to make as big an impact as I can.  Has anyone done an analysis of the best places to move from an electoral perspective?  For example, a few people moving to some locations may be just enough to tip the balance in favor of FSP friendly candidates.  Other locations may already be so saturated with FSPers, that additional FSPers won't help much, and still other locations may be effectively "lost causes" due to overwhelming support for traditional Democrats and Republicans. 

Apologies if this has been discussed at length already--not sure what to look for to find previous discussions.  Thanks in advance for any assistance!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Strategic moving?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 05:11:02 pm »

If you are a signed-up FSP participant, you should be able to get access to this forum: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=5142.msg75353#msg75353 ...where there was a big discussion of this topic in 2004. IIRC, I updated the analysis a few years later with updated data.

I never did that after the last redistricting, but if you want to find the towns that are most "marginal," take a gander at this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3904587/nhtowns15.xls

Most towns with more than 3000 population have their own state reps, so if you're looking at just those towns, those that score around "0" on the "conservative" index will tend to feature swing districts between the Republicans and the Democrats. There's also a "libertarian" index based on voting patterns in Republican primaries (Ron Paul and Andrew Hemingway support), but in my experience, libertarians can win even highly non-libertarian districts, so long as they run in the right party for their district. (With Democrats it can be harder, because the party leadership will attack you.)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

crasch

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:47 pm »

Thanks Jason!  I signed up, but I don't appear to have access to that forum.  I've been mostly inactive since I attended the first Porcfest, so perhaps I lost access? 

I'll check out the spreadsheet. 

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 08:36:33 am »

A forum administrator has to give you access. I can do that. I'll ask Chris Lopez to verify your status first. :)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

crasch

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:50:37 am »

Thanks, Jason!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:58:19 am »

OK, you're verified. :) I'll give you access to the participants-only forums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up