Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling and vehicle inspection process in NH.  (Read 1799 times)

Gruic

Homeschooling and vehicle inspection process in NH.
« on: November 11, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »

Greetings FSPers.  I recently negotiated completely remote work with my employer and am now in the planning phase to move out of high tax state in which I currently reside.  I've short listed South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee and New Hampshire as my four top choices.  There are pros/cons to each state, with South Dakota seeming to have the highest "freedom" index.  We home school our kids and currently do not have to do any kind of reporting.  NH seems to have heavy handed reporting requirements when compared to SD or TX.  Are there any FSPers that are also homeschoolers that can contact me?  Also NH seems to have a crazy vehicle inspection program.  SD and TN do not have such programs and neither does my current state.  As a hobbyist mechanic, I know none of my vehicles would even come close to passing inspection and the money required to bring my vehicles up to NH code would in fact entirely wipe out any financial savings moving to NH would bring me.  Nor am I willing to separate myself from and sell these classic vehicles.  Do any FSPers maintain their vehicle registration in a state other than NH and if so, how much of a problem does create for you in your freedom plan?  If anyone could address or comment on these two topics, it'd be greatly appreciated!  As a silly aside, did you know NH heavily taxes cutting down trees?  Crazy but true!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Homeschooling and vehicle inspection process in NH.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:21:52 pm »

I don't know about vehicle inspection - we just do it annually and forget about it - but the homeschooling laws are actually pretty relaxed here. We know a lot of homeschoolers. Some of them do it by the book, and some of them don't. If you find the laws too onerous, you could always do the latter. There haven't been any cases that I know of in the last several years of anyone getting into trouble for not following the homeschooling laws to a T.

Unlike a lot of other states, we also have a school choice scholarship fund supported by tax credits that gives money for homeschool expenses. It's still ramping up, so they have only been giving scholarships to low-income families, but with any luck it will continue expanding.

If the timber severance tax still exists, it would only apply to timber for sale, not trees you cut down for personal use.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

porcupineamy

• Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:36 am »

New Hampshire is truly one of the easiest states in which to homeschool. We found it very easy & straightforward, and there are always folks fighting for homeschoolers' rights, which was refreshing. If you're looking for a place to move where people fight for personal freedom, then NH is really your best bet. Not to mention, you have an instant community of like-minded people when you do move.

If you have other questions about homeschooling, feel free to PM me. My daughter is 14 and has been hs'ed since the beginning :)
Amy Lowe
Porcupine Real Estate
PorcupineRealEstate.com
 *Link Removed*

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:06 pm »

We home school our kids and currently do not have to do any kind of reporting.  NH seems to have heavy handed reporting requirements when compared to SD or TX.  Are there any FSPers that are also homeschoolers that can contact me?
It is a one time notice you give the school district when you move into the district. Other than that, it is very little and perhaps something you would do anyway.

Also NH seems to have a crazy vehicle inspection program.  SD and TN do not have such programs and neither does my current state.  As a hobbyist mechanic, I know none of my vehicles would even come close to passing inspection and the money required to bring my vehicles up to NH code would in fact entirely wipe out any financial savings moving to NH would bring me.  Nor am I willing to separate myself from and sell these classic vehicles.
Classic vehicles (per-1996) are not subject to emissions testing in NH. NH is easily one of the least expensive states to buy and own a vehicle. Many people save $1000s per vehicle over the life of the vehicle in NH vs. almost all other states.

Do any FSPers maintain their vehicle registration in a state other than NH and if so, how much of a problem does create for you in your freedom plan?
Depending on how you do that, it may or may not be legal.

As a silly aside, did you know NH heavily taxes cutting down trees?  Crazy but true!
After a certain point, for commercial use. You might be fine with doing it for a neighbor or two but you may want to look into the law before you start a commercial business.
Pages: [1]   Go Up