Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to live  (Read 4737 times)

WorkInProgress

Where to live
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:38:30 pm »

Hello all!

I want to relocate to New Hampshire and am thinking about the Berlin/Gorham area. If any of you live in this area I would like some input on the following:

-Locals and their acceptance level of th FSP or libertarian ideals. Examples: is open carry common in these areas or looked at in horror? Does the local community care about the high taxation rates or live off it? What are the uniformed revenuers like?

- Jobs...it seems really good ones are few and far between in this area going by the Internet employment sites. Is it difficult to find a full-time job making $20/hr or its salaried equivalent and not have to work for Leviathan?

- Activities: The ATV/snowmobile crowd seems to be big there. I could get into either one and would plan on buying an ATV to ride around town rather than a car or in bad weather my motorcycle. But, besides this part of New Hampshire living up to one Vermonter calling New Hampshire "Alabama with snow" is there a lot of other things to do? I do like hiking, hunting, fishing, and the outdoors as well as riding motorcycles. I would love to get involved with FSP activities.

To help better answer the question here is a little about me:

I have been traveling to NH for over a decade. My best friend is from Mass. And we went on a cross country trip starting in Maine. We camped a week in NH and I have been coming back every year for a week or two to camp and hike. I fell in love with the place and it's been a dream to move there and when I found out about the FSP I began saving money to move.

I have spent winters in very harsh places when I was in the military and have worked in the oilfield in North Dakota outside for 12+ hours and spent winters in Kansas and NW Oklahoma which can be bad. So, I am not intimidated by the winter and in fact welcome it as I have grown to loathe summers in my home state of Texas. I have all the clothes and a good 4 wheel drive vehicle which I know will be a rust bucket after a couple of years in NH.

I have saved enough money to pay cash for a house in the Berlin/Gorham area so I am not worried about landing a high-paying job quickly. I receive disability from the VA so even if I don't land a $15-$20/hr job and owning a house outright, I will have enough to pay the (outrageous) property tax rates, buy heating oil, eat without resorting to cat food, and still have a little money left over. I've budgeted enough for the house purchase in this area that I'll have enough to do some improvements, get an ATV/snowmobile (cheaper in the winter to sacrifice than a truck), and still have savings.

I am single and childless so I don't care about schools or their quality but am concerned with property crime. Since I have no family or friends (yet) then if I travel my house will be left unattended and vulnerable to burglary. I would consider an alarm system.

I hope my questions and info were specific enough that some of you that live in this area may give good responses. Thank you and I will be in Berlin next week touring houses with the realtor if any of you would like to meet in person!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Where to live
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:20:02 am »

Jobs in the North Country are fairly scarce, but if you look just a bit farther south, they open up. Someone was just telling me about a company in Haverhill that always has jobs that they have trouble filling.

Crime in the vast majority of NH is extremely low. Around here a lot of people leave doors unlocked, keys in running cars, etc.

As far as activities, there's definitely a lot to do outdoors, including all the things you mention. In the more populated areas, there are also a lot of liberty-related events. See www.nhcalendar.org for details.

Hope this helps! Next time you visit, give us all a heads-up, and we can set up some sort of meet and greet (https://www.facebook.com/groups/FSPWelcomeWagon/ https://freestateproject.org/move/welcome-wagon).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

WorkInProgress

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:26:52 am »

I have requested to join the FB welcome wagon but have not received a response yet. But if anyone is in voles with them PM me or post in this section so I can give you my contact info.

I will be in the Granite State on Monday, specifically Coos County looking at houses. I plan on staying the entire week in case I need to be there for any home inspections but also to look at properties farther south. If any members of the Welcome Wagon would like meet with me I would be glad to. The number of properties I am looking at in Berlin/Gorham should take no more than 2 days after which I shall be free to roam.

I hope to see you soon and be moved in time to attend the NH Liberty Forum!

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Welcome Wagon is for the day a person arrives at their new home with all of their stuff, and the Welcome Wagon is there waiting to greet them and help them unload.

I live in Coos County. It's wonderful and I hope you decide to move here. There aren't any scheduled meet-ups going on this week. But if you're in the Twin Mountain area, check out the Twin Mountain Country and Village Store, I think it's called. It's a gas station on Route 3, just north of the 302 cross section. It's owned by a Free Stater couple.

When you do have your move in date, be sure to let me, or this board know.

Good luck house hunting!

WorkInProgress

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 01:52:46 am »

Thank you. I believe the Welcome Wagon was suggested so I could arrange a face-to-face with somebody. I will look for the store and the couple. I'm interested in cost of living, activities, networking, etc.

It would just be nice to pick someone's brain over lunch. The posts help but there is nothing that substitutes talking directly to someone. If the houses are in good condition hopefully I can make an offer and get a contract before the week is out. That will light a fire under me to get moved up there before the worst part of winter.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:36:12 pm »

Yes, Welcome Wagon is also for meet-and-greets. If you can't get into the Facebook group for some reason (it's plenty active but I'm not an admin and can't add anybody), send an email to Chris at moved@freestateproject.org.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:43:09 pm »

Hello all!

Hello. Welcome to the Forum.

I want to relocate to New Hampshire and am thinking about the Berlin/Gorham area. If any of you live in this area I would like some input on the following:

-Locals and their acceptance level of th FSP or libertarian ideals. Examples: is open carry common in these areas or looked at in horror? Does the local community care about the high taxation rates or live off it? What are the uniformed revenuers like?
Berlin is by far the most depressed part of NH. Lots of people are on welfare. The highly ambitious people that used to live in the area left because it is so much harder to accomplish great things in Berlin than most of the rest of New England.

- Jobs...it seems really good ones are few and far between in this area going by the Internet employment sites. Is it difficult to find a full-time job making $20/hr or its salaried equivalent and not have to work for Leviathan?

Berlin is great in that it has very low housing prices. If you have a decent amount of savings or have your own online company, you can buy a house or two in Berlin without any trouble. However, it is best to bring your own job with you, or have the skills to take on a couple part-time jobs. Conway is a norther part of NH with a much better economy. Or, you could look into the Lebanon/Hanover area. It has one of the best economies in the nation. Both Lebanon and Hanover have really expensive rent, but if you live 1-2 towns away, the prices quickly drop.

- Activities: The ATV/snowmobile crowd seems to be big there. I could get into either one and would plan on buying an ATV to ride around town rather than a car or in bad weather my motorcycle. But, besides this part of New Hampshire living up to one Vermonter calling New Hampshire "Alabama with snow" is there a lot of other things to do? I do like hiking, hunting, fishing, and the outdoors as well as riding motorcycles. I would love to get involved with FSP activities.

The North County has unlimited outdoor potential. Rock climb, ice skate, or canoe? You will have a blast. There is one FSP activity that is near-by, the Porcupine Freedom Festival.

To help better answer the question here is a little about me:

I have been traveling to NH for over a decade. My best friend is from Mass. And we went on a cross country trip starting in Maine. We camped a week in NH and I have been coming back every year for a week or two to camp and hike. I fell in love with the place and it's been a dream to move there and when I found out about the FSP I began saving money to move.

I have spent winters in very harsh places when I was in the military and have worked in the oilfield in North Dakota outside for 12+ hours and spent winters in Kansas and NW Oklahoma which can be bad. So, I am not intimidated by the winter and in fact welcome it as I have grown to loathe summers in my home state of Texas. I have all the clothes and a good 4 wheel drive vehicle which I know will be a rust bucket after a couple of years in NH.

I have saved enough money to pay cash for a house in the Berlin/Gorham area so I am not worried about landing a high-paying job quickly. I receive disability from the VA so even if I don't land a $15-$20/hr job and owning a house outright, I will have enough to pay the (outrageous) property tax rates, buy heating oil, eat without resorting to cat food, and still have a little money left over. I've budgeted enough for the house purchase in this area that I'll have enough to do some improvements, get an ATV/snowmobile (cheaper in the winter to sacrifice than a truck), and still have savings.

I am single and childless so I don't care about schools or their quality but am concerned with property crime. Since I have no family or friends (yet) then if I travel my house will be left unattended and vulnerable to burglary. I would consider an alarm system.

I hope my questions and info were specific enough that some of you that live in this area may give good responses. Thank you and I will be in Berlin next week touring houses with the realtor if any of you would like to meet in person!

If you know what you are getting into, you will do fine. Most people have no idea what life is like in that area. There is a reason it is the only part of NH where the population has dropped decade after decade. It is undesirable to the vast majority of people. I don't know how old you are, but you could by in a 55+ mobile home park somewhere else and have a lower housing payment, with lower monthly costs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:47:11 pm by 1DayAtATime »

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 02:34:08 pm »

Don't think i have any useful advice for you in this context Work, but welcome home in advance!
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

WilliamCerf

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »

I just signed the pledge today. I'm a low-income senior citizen living off my meager Social Security Retirement Income.

I am a life-long believer in Liberty and have been virtually lurking for years. But life has given me the message, I simply can't afford to live in Brooklyn or anywhere else in New York City. I am going to start my life over and want to do it with Liberty Loving people.

I hope to plan a field trip to Manchester as soon as I get some funds - always a challenge for me.

Looking to make friends on this list.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:25:11 am »

Welcome! As I mentioned to someone else just now, this forum has fewer participants than our Facebook groups by a couple of orders of magnitude. Everyone seems to migrate to social media these days. You can find the FSP Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFreeStateProject/ . When you visit the state, let us know in advance, and we can set up a get-together to welcome you: https://freestateproject.org/move/welcome-wagon . There are also two annual events in the state, Liberty Forum (coming up in Manchester) and Porcupine Freedom Festival (summer in the mountains). However, they are ticketed events and might be a little costly for your budget. (PorcFest is cheaper.)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 04:11:15 pm »

Welcom, william!
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

ChrisL

• FSP Participant
  • It's good to be Queen!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 11:18:59 am »

I would also like to suggest that people send us an email to visitnh@freestateproject.org when they are planning a visit. It's a great starting point for someone to get plugged in and I'm able to send resources from there easily.  It's also helpful for people who don't do Facebook.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.   J. Lennon
Pages: [1]   Go Up