Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Speeds and Providers in NH General  (Read 1793 times)

TMullen

Internet Speeds and Providers in NH General
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:04:54 am »

I just moved to (very) rural NH. Before I bought my house, I called up Comcast and asked if there is service to the house I was looking to buy. They told me that my house was serviced. Come to find out, they lied to me and only go so far up my road. Needless to say I am not happy with them. Anyway, I am a huge internet user who needs help finding something that will work for me until I can get cable or fiber optics or even DSL to where I live.

There are a number of boards pertaining to this topic here and elsewhere, but none that I could find that are both new and all encompassing. Please help me out by posting the information requested below.

1. Please visit the following website and post where you live, the internet service provider you have, and your speed: http://www.speedtest.net/
example:
Concord, NH
Comcast Xfinity
0 ping
77 Mbps download
108 mbps upload

2. If you live in (or know about) the Danbury/Grafton/Wilmot area, please let me know what you do for internet if you are out of reach of Comcast and what you recommend. Bonus to anyone who lives at the dirt end of Waukeena Lake Road or nearby Dean Road.

Thank you!

ptb

• Voluntarist Freethinker
Re: Internet Speeds and Providers in NH General
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:59:39 am »

I've researched every possible solution for decent internet near Grafton, so I'll try to help you out.

From my research, WaveComm might be your best option. I've never used them or contacted them, but I have been told they have a tower on top of Mt Cardigan and perhaps elsewhere, so they may be able to service your home.

Currently, we have Fairpoint DSL (1.5 Mbps down/768 kbps up) which is just slightly better than dial-up.  :-\  See this post for more details on DSL in Grafton.

A couple years ago the town of Enfield, NH contracted with NH Fast Roads to canvas the entire town with consumer-available fiber service. Our house is just over 1.5 miles from the last connection in Enfield and when I enquired, I was given a rough quote of $10k-17k to extend it to our house. But at least that is an option (if I could afford to pay for it). The fiber is installed by Fast Roads and then you'd have a choice of ISPs: WiValley for consumer service which is $79.95 for 50 Mbps down/25 Mbps up service and $109.95 for 100/25 service + $75 setup on each or FirstLight Fiber (formerly G4 Communications) for business service (I was quoted $90/month for "best effort" 10 Mbps/10 Mbps + $250 setup fee). I have confirmed the speed on Monday of this week on a 50/25 WiValley connection of 46.83 Mbps down/21.31 Mbps on speedtest.net, so it actually is that level of service.

I am currently working with a neighbor who has fiber service to transmit it wirelessly to my home. I have the equipment in place to support it and also his cooperation to make it happen. I'm currently waiting on WiValley to set up an account for me (they're going to treat his home as an apartment building basically, and set us up with separate accounts with separate service levels, speeds, and isolated traffic).

The next best solution I've found is an unlimited 4G/LTE Verizon Wireless account. Unlimited accounts are not offered anymore, but they can be transferred from person to person (if you can find someone who is willing to give their's up). It's called an Assumption of Liability transfer. The Assumption of Liability Department is (888) 832-4540. I've found people on eBay willing to sell/transfer their unlimited data account on eBay, but I haven't looked in probably a year. An unlimited account was going for about $300 when I last checked eBay. When I tried this method, I was getting up to 10 Mbps down, but because of the latency it would not work with a VPN connection. Check out this post for more details.

There's always satellite internet, but there are obvious drawbacks to that: high latency, download caps, and potential weather issues.

Currently, if I need something fast immediately, I've found Margarita's in Lebanon (near DHMC) to be decent (30 Mbps down), Mickey's Restaurant in Enfield (13.5 Mbps down/3.75 Mbps up), Dunkin Donuts in Canaan (6.75 Mbps down/1.0 up) or 99 Restaurant (5 Mbps down). There's also free wi-fi available at DHMC and also Dartmouth College.

Hope some of that is helpful. Please report back once you do figure out a solution. Good luck.

- Peter
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:26:32 pm by ptb »

Free_Bass_Player

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:51:39 am »

First of all, I can sympathize with your Comcast Experience. They have to be one of the worst companies in America to try to do business with. I have had them in California and now again in Florida. I have experienced nothing but escalated complaints; my first in California went to the VP desk 2 weeks before I even got my service installed. If I could I would tell everyone in America to find another group.

Now, the reason for this post. When we lived in Colorado, we had a company called Hughes.net that serviced our extreme-remote area via sattelite. (9200 feet in elevation on the back side of a mountain) Can't say it was great, can't say it was fast. There were days we had service slower than dialup. Might be something to look into. There might be a faster sattelite provider in those areas.

All I know is I can't wait to get away from all these Hustler states and get to a state that legitimately wants people like me. Best of luck with COMCRAP. BTW did they make you pay to break your contract? or did you get smart and go without a contract?

TMullen

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:43:58 am »

Thank you for the help folks.

I ended up going with Dish Net (Which I think is affiliated in some way with Hughes Net.

It is no longer possible to transfer unlimited Verizon data to people that do not already have it, they must have closed the loop hole in their policy. I cannot get DSL or cable/fiber up where I am so I needed to either buy a ton of data from Verizon and use the hotspot or pay for satellite internet.

It works surprisingly well. The only real downside is that there is a data limit.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:10:51 pm »

Good to hear it's working well for you. We've thought about going satellite as well. Right now we're on DSL but get poor speeds.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything