Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH or Bust 2016  (Read 2801 times)

Alasdair

NH or Bust 2016
« on: August 18, 2015, 05:33:26 am »

Hi

I'm currently living in the North East of England and frankly I think 2016 is my last chance to get to New Hampshire.

I'm looking to make a number of contacts around the state that over the coming months I can talk to via email to allow me to learn about various communities and decide which I think I would fit into the best.

Where I am in the UK is pretty dire, mainly because that vibrant sense of community NH seems to encapsulate doesn't exist. I can literally walk the streets of my town after dark and be the only person out and about. Over there last few years I've also noticed people have stopped saying hello to each as they pass.

For the last 18 months I've worked my socks off, trying to build up savings to make the trip over and think April 2016 is the earliest I'll be able to make it for a sensible amount of time to check things out.

So my plan was to talk to a small number of people from varying locations in NH who would have the patience to answer questions, queries or concerns I may have over the coming months. For them to get to know me, and allow me to tap into their local knowledge.

I hope that is not too much of a liberty to take and of course if there are any questions about where I live and am from, I'd be happy to answer those as well.

If I don't make it in 2016, it looks as though I'll have to dig in and try and recreate the FSP here in the UK.  :P

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Al

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: NH or Bust 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:24 am »

I think a visit's a great idea. You'll get to see what's going on here, make some contacts, and with any luck find a possible avenue to employment and a green card. Let Chris Lopez know (chris.lopez@freestateproject.org) as the date of your visit approaches.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Alasdair

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:01 am »

I think a visit's a great idea. You'll get to see what's going on here, make some contacts, and with any luck find a possible avenue to employment and a green card. Let Chris Lopez know (chris.lopez@freestateproject.org) as the date of your visit approaches.

Was hoping to make contacts before visiting so I could do a bit of route planning etc.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:33 pm »

Are you on Facebook? Joining the Porcupines or Free State Project groups and lurking for a bit might give you a sense of the different personalities in the FSP and whom you'd like to approach. In the mean time, I'd say post your questions here, and whoever has something to say will jump in! (There's a group psychology problem in just encouraging people in general to write to you. There are thousands of Free Staters on the web, and there's a tendency for individuals to hang back and wait for others to respond to open queries of this kind. So giving people a hook is good...)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Alasdair

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:51 am »

They are all fair points you made there Jason.

I suppose like so many other people from outside the USA, my biggest problem is getting a work permit. I have worked as a freelance for years in the UK in both media and computing fields (I also have some LE / Investigative experience but as a UK citizen that's out for me over there as it's a very different way of doing things), so I don't have a large international corporation that I can get an 'internal transfer'.

The last time I looked at immigration, if I had a couple of million to invest I'd be straight in. I don't.

So the type of questions I have centre, or perhaps that should be center, around how easy is it to get started in NH? Can I work from home? Do I need any licences?

I've been lucky here in the sense that when one strand of my bow is doing badly, the other is OK and I can pick up work.

I'm not adverse to changing what I do. So what are the in-demand skills in NH? (I could perhaps get training over here before heading across)

How easy is it to plug into a social scene? (I'll be on my own)

What would I need to do about healthcare, opticians, dentists? (Much of general healthcare is paid for out of general taxation here, not a point of need)

How much does good health insurance cost?

How much does it cost to rent a room? (I don't need a full apartment or house)

How expensive is electricity?

What happens about water supply?

How much are internet connections? What about cellphone costs?

Would my UK driving licence be OK in the USA or would I have to pass a USA test if I was staying longer than a two week vacation?

I'd like to live somewhere near the mountains. What type of predators are there? Bears?

Oh and this will sound silly, but what snakes are there? (I'm terrified, no really, seriously terrified of snakes.)

All fairly dull questions perhaps, but all essential to assess, how to approach a move and whether a move is actually feasible.

So I didn't want to clog up the forums but I suppose if I'm thinking about these things other people are too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:45:33 am by Alasdair »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:25:01 pm »

You don't need a license to work in most fields in NH. If you want to register a trade name, it's a very simple process and costs, I think, $20.

Some of the in-demand skills in NH that I've noticed include: nursing, software engineering, process engineering, database management, retail (no sales tax has made NH's retail sector especially large), and property management. That's fairly impressionistic, and you may also want to check out: http://www.nhes.nh.gov/elmi/products/proj.htm

We have other foreigners who have moved successfully to NH as part of the FSP, including one Briton I can think of. He works in IT. He might have a better idea of what you need to do. I'll direct him to this thread. We also have an immigration lawyer in the FSP who's offering 50% off this services to participants. I'll see if I can find his info.

If you're self-employed, the cost of good health insurance depends on income, because you have to buy it through the "Obamacare" exchanges. If you're making something like $60,000, it would be about $600-700 a month.

Renting a room would cost roughly around the same amount, perhaps a little less depending on the location. There are also "Porcupine" landlords throughout the state.

Electricity is somewhere around... $120-140 a month for a house, less for a room or apartment. That's a rough guess, because my wife pays those bills. :) Water's significantly cheaper. Heat's significantly more in the coldest months. Electricity, heat, snow removal, and water are usually included in the cost of rent.

Cell phone... Somewhere around $40 a month, which is also about the price of high-speed Internet. Again, depends on provider & quality of plan.

If you establish residency in NH, you'll need to get a NH driver's license. I don't know what the rules are on converting from UK to NH licenses. You might not have to take a driving test.

Poisonous snakes are very rare. I think there's an endangered rattlesnake in the state. Not an issue. There are black bears. Again, not an issue if you're smart (don't feed them). The big "predator" concern is deer ticks, which carry Lyme disease. When there's no snow on the ground, you should check yourself daily for ticks. You can treat your hiking clothing with Permethrin to kill ticks on contact.

Again, if you post an introductory message on the Facebook group, you'll get a lot more feedback from those in the know! https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFreeStateProject/

Alasdair

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:14 pm »

Many thanks for taking the time to go through the questions Jason. Much appreciated.

You've given me plenty to think about.

I've always tried to avoid Facebook, but it looks as though needs must.  :)

I'll head over there and say hello.

Cheers.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:10:21 am »

Sure thing!

paperboy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:08:28 pm »

Many of the Tourism Related businesses in the White Mtns and Lake Winnipesaukee regions work with people here on the H1 Visas programs.
Many of those positions include a place to live as the people coming over have no connections.
You might want to investigate that route out of the gates.
It's generally service work... Hotels, Restaurants, etc., but if it gets your foot in the door.

MikeyL

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:43:42 am »

Getting a job here depends. If you can get a work visa somehow, youre in a good position.

So the type of questions I have centre, or perhaps that should be center, around how easy is it to get started in NH?
I like to use centre. :P

Can I work from home?
If you can figure out a way, yes. Many people do, freestater and not, NHite and not.

Do I need any licences?
Depends on the trade. Doctor, yes. Plumber, yes, Electrician, yes. Driving related, yes. Store manager, no. Computer programmer, no. etc...

I'm not adverse to changing what I do. So what are the in-demand skills in NH? (I could perhaps get training over here before heading across)
Other people can answer better than me, but tourism is a big one. And there are lots of entry level jobs.

How easy is it to plug into a social scene? (I'll be on my own)
In Manchester, extremely easy, both among libertarians and natives. If you walk around every day, youre bound to run into at least one freestater you know. Keene is probably the second best after that. And maybe down by the Seacoast. The rest of the state is pretty rural.

What would I need to do about healthcare, opticians, dentists? (Much of general healthcare is paid for out of general taxation here, not a point of need)
You can pay out of pocket or get insurance, which can cover certain basics or be more comprehensive.

How much does good health insurance cost?
Its so regulated up the rear that options are a bit convoluted.

How much does it cost to rent a room? (I don't need a full apartment or house)
Depends. Manchester, a room alone will be at least $500 up to $800 a month. If you share with others, a floor ranges $800 to 1000 with 2-3 bedrooms. I got a good deal with $650 for 2-3 bedrooms.

How expensive is electricity?
For the floor I live in, its like $60 a month, but that varies. Most of it is probably the fridge and the AC. Heat is the other issue: it can be gas, oil, or electric. I have gas, which is like $45 in the summer and $120 or so in the winter. If youre ok with blankets and sweaters, you can keep the heat low.

What happens about water supply?
NH has one of the best in terms of quality and supply. Droughts are rare. Lots of lakes and rivers from all the rain. Its covered by my rent, so I assume its cheap.

How much are internet connections?
$40-60/mo depending. Wifi is available in a lot of cafes and businesses.

What about cellphone costs?
It probably averages aroun $40/month, but up or down based on your plan, and theres also pay as you go, which can be cheap.

Would my UK driving licence be OK in the USA or would I have to pass a USA test if I was staying longer than a two week vacation?
A foreign license is technically valid until it expires, but if you get pulled over and admit to residing here, you may be fined for not having a local license. I believe they can transfer to get a new license. *cough*notlegaladvice*cough*

I'd like to live somewhere near the mountains. What type of predators are there? Bears?
You can own a gun. :)

Oh and this will sound silly, but what snakes are there? (I'm terrified, no really, seriously terrified of snakes.)
Youd have to go into the woods to find snakes. Probably nothing that bad.

For someone like you, I highly recommend starting in Manchester. Its the best place to start, has the biggest FSP community, lots of support, still connected to the real world. Its the biggest city in NH, albeit 110,000. It has fourth world public transit, but I guess thats better than nothing. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Whatever you do, the most important thing is to save up enough to cover basic living expenses for a year. I had trouble getting a job for a few weeks (mostly because I cant drive) and almost had to hit my savings, of which I had plenty. If you do that, you can pack up and leave, altho its best to make some contacts at least first.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:45:30 am by MikeyL »
Mikey Luther on Facebook
Pages: [1]   Go Up