Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from the great tax farm of Pennsylvania!  (Read 2324 times)

cobra2411

Hello from the great tax farm of Pennsylvania!
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:47:31 pm »

Hi,

I recently decided to exit the rat race. Well, about 18 months ago, but it's been a busy 18 months. I moved out of my high priced house in the ritzy suburbs about an hour away into the country on 2+ acres. Still in Pa though. Its on the border of Lancaster and Chester Co. in South Eastern Pa for anyone that knows the area. I have lots of old family (90+) that I want to be close to as well as some other things I want to resolve before moving too far away. I have been thinking about heading south, but, the FSP has me intrigued. I've been a long time visitor to the Gloucester area of Mass and LOVE the area. I refer to most of the area simply as occupied territory, but I'm well aware of NH's freedoms. I've been to Portsmouth many times, usually coming in via Rt 1. It's a nicer drive than 95. That's about the extent of my travels in NH though.

I currently have a 3-5 year plan to stay in PA, then it's off to newer pastures. This will sound very bad, but I think you know what I mean, I'm hoping that my elderly relatives, er, move on by then. I will have completed repairs on my fixer-upper house and will have hopefully tidied up everything else that needs to be cleared up. The only question is were...

I love water and would love to be around it, so probably in the south, eastern end of the state. Close to something navigable to the sea would be awesome, but I don't have a boat. It's only a dream possibly for the future. Not a set in stone requirement, but some kind of water would be nice. I would like more than 2 acres, somewhere reasonable close to civilization but not too close. I went from living minutes from a shopping center to being about 15 minutes from one with a Home Depot there. So now a "quick" trip to the store is 35-40 minutes round trip vs 5-10 minutes before. So I guess within 15-20 minutes one way to a decent sized shopping center preferably with a home depot or similar. Closer is ok too I guess, but I have no desire to live in anything that resembles a big city and even smaller ones I still want to be on the outskirts. Wanting 2+ acres I think pretty much makes that a requirement anyway.

One of the issues first on my mind before moving north is that I feel we might be heading toward a Dalton Minimum in the next 20 years or so. Given the state of the economy, the direction the feral government is going with climate change, and the level of cluelessness abound in our society I worry about how cold it will get up north. Not sure if anyone has any insight or thoughts on that topic, but I see the potential for great calamity in the future. Not saying it will happen, but it's at least on my radar.

Other than that I will add that I'm mechanically inclined, good with my hands and tools. I own my own heating and air conditioning business, but have been an airplane mechanic and computer network engineer. I'm very active in animal rescue and love anything fuzzy. Sorry reptile people... :) I'm happy you like it, but I don't share in your enthusiasm... I hope to be 100% out of debt by this time next year or as close as physically possible and I consider myself to be an anarchist. Not the Sid Vicious type, but the intellectual volunteerism type. I believe that force should never be initiated against anyone for any reason. I am however very comfortable with the defensive use of force.

I guess that's enough of an intro. I'm going to keep lurking around and if anyone has any info that they think will be helpful please share it.

David

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Hello from the great tax farm of Pennsylvania!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:55:28 pm »

Welcome to the forum, David! About water: NH has lots of large lakes and rivers, so you don't necessarily need to be on the seacoast to have access to recreational opportunities on the water. Otherwise, I'd say there are lots of places in the state that meet your criteria. I'm in the Upper Valley, which doesn't have any cities of significant size but is large enough to have Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.

You should come up for one of our big events! There's a Freecoast Festival this fall (www.freecoast.org), and then there's NH Liberty Forum in February (www.nhlibertyforum.com).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

cobra2411

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:56:06 pm »

Hey, thanks for the links. The freecoast festival only says Hello. and nothing more. I was able to google it and found the direct link. Not sure I'll be able to make that one, but the Liberty Forum sounds like fun and there's enough time for me to plan. Hopefully there's no snowflakes to dodge... I would be driving up from PA, so about 400 miles. I don't fly unless I absolutely have to. Not that I don't like to; they just don't think it's funny when I ask for dinner first before they fondle me...

I'm starting to narrow down my target area. I'm thinking East of Concord and Manchester, South of Rochester, North of Salem (NH) and West of the Atlantic.  :P

So at least that's a start.

I'd almost certainly come and rent for a while, although, I may buy something suitable to later be a rental. As I said, ultimately I want a decent amount of land.

whirlwind

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:18 pm »

Hi David,
I hear you on the Dalton minimum concerns.  I am currently living in New Mexico and am considering a move.  However, as an older, single female, not sure it if would be a great idea for the winters there. 
Best of luck with your move.

TheZyzzybalubah

• Zyzzybalubah Music & Art
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:04:48 pm »

Small world David. Nice to meet you. Currently we are like-minded neighbors here in the Amish countryside. Me and my wife are hoping to make the move as well. Our experiences in the lancaster/chester area have been far less than safe for any environment to be raising children and so migration is a very desirable option at this point.

porcupineamy

• Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:43 am »

You will find plenty of like-minded folks in NH. We have some resources on our site with town demographics, tax rates, zoning, etc, that might help you - http://porcupinerealestate.com/Resources.asp You'll find tax rates vary widely, and sometimes can influence where you decide to move.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Amy Lowe
Porcupine Real Estate
PorcupineRealEstate.com
 *Link Removed*

MikeyL

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:59:30 am »

I moved from New Jersey. SE Pennsylvania should only be about 8-9 hours away. 93 to Boston, then 95 to Philly. So if something happened to your family, you could be there in under a day.
Mikey Luther on Facebook
Pages: [1]   Go Up