Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im dissapointed to see NH requires an emissions test.  (Read 2920 times)

RDeWalt

Im dissapointed to see NH requires an emissions test.
« on: July 06, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »

Im a car guy, and I have a love for turbo's

Im disappointed to see that NH has an emissions test, as it really hinders what you can and cant do with your vehicle... such as direct port standalone fuel management (drool)

cant really have that if you require an OBD2 port :(

/gripe

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
Re: Im dissapointed to see NH requires an emissions test.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:14 am »

You have a couple options.  
Get a car that's too old to have an OBDII, or find one which is incompatible  with the state's equipment.  

I have a 2001 Hyundai Sonata that has an exemption in the state inspection manual.

So do your research and then get up here and help the rest of the car guys in their campaign to repeal the state inspection law.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:37:41 pm by Jerry »

cobra2411

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »

SEMA might be a resource to tap. I believe reasonable accommodations should be available. Put another way, the most good should be done with the least intrusion.

PA enacted a rolling 25yr exemption, but that's just to get rid of the dyno machines. 96+ will continue to get tested. Maybe a revision to NH would be to drop emissions requirements for vehicles over 25 years old. Another could be a "hot rod" registration with restrictions on mileage which would limit emissions.

A further idea would be an "experimental" registration which would foster innovation because it would allow people to seek different goals such as designing a new ECM for vehicles...

paperboy

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:21:11 pm »

I too was disappointed to find this out after moving to NH. The state I came from didn't have it.
I believe Antique Autos are exempt and new cars tend to pass.
Always change your oxygen sensors before investing in a catalytic converter. $ave Hundered$.
Another option would be to get it on the ballot.
If NH Residents had the option, I think they would vote to get rid of it.
I believe their are federal tax strings attached. The State of NH gets some amount of funds from the feds... (I think)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 10:43:51 am »

NH does not have referendum.   The legislature can put things on a statewide ballot,  but people can't gather signatures to do that. With 400 reps it is not tremendously difficult to get a one to sponsor a bill.   Getting legislative services to craft it how you want is another matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up