Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed NH Safety Inspection  (Read 3400 times)

demers21

Failed NH Safety Inspection
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:49:28 am »

Can someone tell me how many days I have to fix a safety issue that failed during my state inspection. I know Emissions is 60 days,  I am going to get the part today and some one is going to put in for me this weekend.  I have tried the DMV and NH Inspect sites and all they show are emissions.  Thanks for your help in advance. 

freedomroad

Re: Failed NH Safety Inspection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:09:06 pm »

Did you talk to the inspector? Generally, you have months ahead of the inspection deadline to 10 days after the inspection deadline to pass the inspection. Some people qualify for a 1 year hardship extension. Your inspector should be an expert on the topic.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »

From my reading it looks like you have 60 days, but check it out yourself at http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/smog-check.php  

"If you fail either inspection, you will receive a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) that lists the cause of failure for your mechanic to diagnose and fix. You will have 60 days to get your vehicle repaired and successfully pass a retest.

If you do not repair your vehicle and pass an inspection within 60 days, the mechanic who performed the inspection is required to inform the NH DMV electronically that your vehicle has not been repaired or passed inspection."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:04:00 pm by Jerry »

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:49:13 pm »

Additionally, most garages allow you to return within 30 days and re-inspect free of charge. Don't know if that is part of the statute but that is what I've found.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 01:31:27 am »

There are different kinds of "fail", and I have no experience with failures for safety issues.

When my truck failed emissions because its OBD-II computer had been reset (when I swapped out the battery), I had 60 days to get the computer to recognize a certain number of "drive cycles" and pass.

I probably took more like 80 days, but my locals didn't give me any trouble over it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything