Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ride Sharing links at porcfest.com are broken  (Read 7978 times)

dilberto

Ride Sharing links at porcfest.com are broken
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »

I've wanted to come to the FreeState, and Porcfest for quite awhile - and this is finally the year!

I am so excited to meet my brothers and sisters, but, at the moment, a tiny bit discouraged by the lack of communication from porcfest.com.

The link for Ride-Sharing on porcfest.com is old and non-functional: it points to last year's ride sharing and now zimride won't accept user registration unless the rideshare is somehow sponsored by a corporation, which apparently porcfest.com hasn't bothered to setup, or remove the old link.

I reported all this a couple of weeks ago to porcfest.com but haven't gotten any response.

It's been 2 weeks now since I paid for tickets and asked some questions but have gotten no replies and have no sense that there is any living person behind the web curtain there - only links to a Facebook group (Yes, Facebook - the NSA partner - yuck!)

Is anyone here connected at all to Porcfest?
Does anyone have a direct email so I can connect to someone at Porcfest about ride sharing?

I really want to offer a ride from California. It's gonna be hard doing it solo.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:54:44 pm by dilberto »

freedomroad

Re: Ride Sharing links at porcfest.com are broken
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:16:14 pm »

Welcome to the FSP Forum!  :)

I've wanted to come to the FreeState, and Porcfest for quite awhile - and this is finally the year!

I am so excited to meet my brothers and sisters, but, at the moment, a tiny bit discouraged by the lack of communication from porcfest.com.

The link for Ride-Sharing on porcfest.com is old and non-functional: it points to last year's ride sharing and now zimride won't accept user registration unless the rideshare is somehow sponsored by a corporation, which apparently porcfest.com hasn't bothered to setup, or remove the old link.

I saw something about that on Facebook. I think the lead PorcFest organizer is new this year. There is a team. They are working hard :)

I reported all this a couple of weeks ago to porcfest.com but haven't gotten any response.

It's been 2 weeks now since I paid for tickets and asked some questions but have gotten no replies and have no sense that there is any living person behind the web curtain there - only links to a Facebook group (Yes, Facebook - the NSA partner - yuck!)

Is anyone here connected at all to Porcfest?

Sorry that you never got a response. Did you try asking in the FB group?

Does anyone have a direct email so I can connect to someone at Porcfest about ride sharing?

I really want to offer a ride from California. It's gonna be hard doing it solo.

Thanks

Have you thought about flying?

I have nothing to do with PorcFest. I sent a message with a link to this thread to the PorcFest FB page.

dilberto

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:39:24 pm »

Thanks for passing my question along to the Facebook group.
I hope to make email contact with someone actually involved with Porcfest eventually.

You may think I'm being difficult, but I learned long ago how evil facebook is, and it has only been confirmed over time, via Snowden, etc.

Not to digress, but people should know that once you join and login to Facebook (or Twitter, or Google) and, thereby, permit them use of your browser cookies [required to login], then they track almost everything you do online since their little links and images that you see on almost every site (including freestateproject.org, unfortunately) tell them where you've been, and when. They can do anything they want with your browser history - sell it for profit, turn it over to spooks, corporations, etc.

This forum is a much, much better choice than facebook! I wish Porcfest organizers would use it instead, or at least, in addition to facebook.

Thanks again for your help!

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »

I hope to make email contact with someone actually involved with Porcfest eventually.

I was told..."can you just let this person know that ZIMRIDE who we had worked with in the last two years, went private for university and business partners only and are not doing events or carpools for things like PF any longer. We are looking for a new partner."

You may think I'm being difficult, but I learned long ago how evil facebook is, and it has only been confirmed over time, via Snowden, etc.

You might not like the second half of the answer :(
'Additionally there is a RIDEshare page on FB here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PorcFest-RideShare/193293977356631'

You could make a new thread on this forum about your ride share offer. Maybe even do it on Craigslist or a rideshare site. You could likely find a series of regular folks to rideshare with from CA to New England. I know it might not help you promote liberty, but it seems the people running PF are pretty Facebook centric right now.

Thanks for buying a ticket. See you at PF :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:42:30 pm by 1DayAtATime »

dilberto

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:24:48 am »

I was told..."can you just let this person know that ZIMRIDE who we had worked with in the last two years, went private for university and business partners only and are not doing events or carpools for things like PF any longer. We are looking for a new partner."

You might not like the second half of the answer :(
'Additionally there is a RIDEshare page on FB here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PorcFest-RideShare/193293977356631'

You could make a new thread on this forum about your ride share offer. Maybe even do it on Craigslist or a rideshare site. You could likely find a series of regular folks to rideshare with from CA to New England. I know it might not help you promote liberty, but it seems the people running PF are pretty Facebook centric right now.

Thanks for buying a ticket. See you at PF :)

I thank you, from the bottom of my heart for this info.

Please somehow introduce yourself to me, at PF - I'll be a volunteer, guitar player, named dilberto. I don't know your name.

Meanwhile, if I had known what I know now I would not have probably paid and comitted to PF, but I'm all in now, FB or not.
I guess this shows how mixed up our world is: good guys can't let go of bad guys and most people can't tell the difference.
[update: then the good guys bomb the bad guys, but kill the good guys instead ... human history, in a nutshell]

At least I did get a personal email from the volunteer coordinator, Rhonda Lambert.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine why the PF organizers prefer FB to their very own (privacy-friendly) forum, right here @ forum.freestateproject.org

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:41:56 pm by 1DayAtATime »

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:49:48 pm »

Who knows. It may take a few years, but PF could become more responsive, and better able to further the cause of freedom, in the future.
I hope it actually happens now - this year, not next.

Who knows. Maybe you will be the PF organizer in a few years :)

It's a task that requires the organizer to spend 100s of hours, all trying to please other people, to help the FSP reach 20,000 signers. The FSP is mostly a volunteer organization. People have donated 100,000s of hours to help the FSP reach 20,000 signers. Every year we get closer and closer to the 20,000 number. We are already at 16,614 :)

dilberto

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:13:48 am »

Thanks again for your deep perspective.
The FreeState Project has been a great inspiration to me and, I'm sure, millions of other free people around the world, for many years.
Looking forward to meeting you all at PorcFest.

dilberto

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:43:15 am »

I will only add one more comment.

I am deeply disappointed that the PorcFest organization has chosen to sacrifice liberty to the convenience of openly anti-libertarian organizations - facebook, google - as their preferred modes of communications with PorcFest participants.

I guess maybe my perspective is unusual, since I am a software engineer, and reside in Silicon Valley area and know something about web tracking technologies (cookies, javascript, buffer overflow, etc) as well as cryptography, etc.

I thought that everyone who cares about liberty had already read everything from Edward Snowden, etc. and The Intercept, etc. and knew the details of anti-libertarian nature of google, facebook, twitter, etc.

I may be in denial, but, for now, I will remain in denial, I choose to believe that you are ignorant, of what I consider pretty well established facts.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please ask and I will send copious details.

I may be in denial, but, I have a terrible sinking feeling in my stomach that tells me: the dream is over.

If nobody asks me for details, then I will know that you are not ignorant, but, actually, complicit.

I have already communicated privately, by email with PorcFest organizers about these issues and await their reply.

They have already announced that google and facebook are the only options for group organizing and I have told them why I think this is a bad idea, from the standpoint of liberty. If anyone cares anymore.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:14:46 am by dilberto »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »

I agree with you, and that's why I'm still here at the forum, but in a sense the market has spoken. I am glad we can keep this forum going until such time as people start to abandon Facebook for the next best thing.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »

I will only add one more comment.

I am deeply disappointed that the PorcFest organization has chosen to sacrifice liberty to the convenience of openly anti-libertarian organizations - facebook, google - as their preferred modes of communications with PorcFest participants.

I guess maybe my perspective is unusual, since I am a software engineer, and reside in Silicon Valley area and know something about web tracking technologies (cookies, javascript, buffer overflow, etc) as well as cryptography, etc.

I thought that everyone who cares about liberty had already read everything from Edward Snowden, etc. and The Intercept, etc. and knew the details of anti-libertarian nature of google, facebook, twitter, etc.

I may be in denial, but, for now, I will remain in denial, I choose to believe that you are ignorant, of what I consider pretty well established facts.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please ask and I will send copious details.

I may be in denial, but, I have a terrible sinking feeling in my stomach that tells me: the dream is over.

If nobody asks me for details, then I will know that you are not ignorant, but, actually, complicit.

I have already communicated privately, by email with PorcFest organizers about these issues and await their reply.

They have already announced that google and facebook are the only options for group organizing and I have told them why I think this is a bad idea, from the standpoint of liberty. If anyone cares anymore.

I will relay advice from one of our early movers that he gave out every time someone pointed out a need for something for the FSP:
 "That's a good idea.  You should do that."

I notice you said you are in silicon valley and have computer skills.  So why not set up a ride share system on a web page?  Make it your first activism contribution to the FSP.  I would offer to do it, but I lack the skilz.

If you do that I will find some way to walk the URL over to Facebook.  I have no account there, but I know people....

dilberto

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:59 pm »

I notice you said you are in silicon valley and have computer skills.  So why not set up a ride share system on a web page?  Make it your first activism contribution to the FSP.  I would offer to do it, but I lack the skilz.

I don't think ride-sharing requires anything besides a simple message board. This one is perfectly fine, seems to me.

I'm still planning my own travel schedule, but was planning on posting a ride offer soon.
I'll probably post on craigslist also.

dilberto

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 09:45:43 am »

I've given PorcFest organizers 3 days from my last email, with no reply. So I think it is fair to share all with you now.

dilberto wrote:
>Please don't take offense, but I am so disappointed that PorcFest chooses the enemies of liberty: google, facebook, twitter, over your own, local forum:
http://forum.freestateproject.org

The evil of which I speak is pretty generally understood, at least in my libertarian circle of friends.
If you need help in understanding the connections between these organizations and the police / aka "national security" state, let me know and I will be happy to send you links.

If you do not ask for help, I can only assume that you know they are evil and that you feel OK with the anti-libertarian goals of those corporations that you prefer.

If that is the case, I feel terribly sad that the noble goals of the Free Stat Project have fallen so low as to prefer google and facebook (anti-privaycy, anti-liberty) over forum.freestateproject.org (pro-privacy, pro-liberty)
- dilberto

At 01:45 PM 3/31/2015, Rhonda Lambert wrote:

Hello Eveeryone,

This is  the final chance to attend tonights meeting by google hangout. You do need to have a gmail account, which is really easy to set up, then send me that email address. Kristin and I will get it going from our end so please make sure you are somewhere quiet around 7.
Thanks and remember only 81 sleeps until the big day!
--
Rhonda Lambert
Porcfest XII Volunteer Organizer
(603)305-7396

dilberto

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 10:02:11 am »

I agree with you, and that's why I'm still here at the forum, but in a sense the market has spoken. I am glad we can keep this forum going until such time as people start to abandon Facebook for the next best thing.

Thanks, Jason, for your comment.
I never imagined, even in my dreams, that I would get to talk to you.

Hats off - and many more hats - for all you have done, to promote, not only an abstract concept of 'liberty', but, actually, the natural state of all animals, including mankind.

At least, that is how I interpret this.
And, thanks again, and again, and again.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »

Well, you're welcome, and thank you for participating!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything