Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to decide where to move along southern border.  (Read 2482 times)

mattrwagner

• Hike more mountains. Drink more IPAs.
trying to decide where to move along southern border.
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:27:15 am »

Hello everyone. My fiancé and I are a young (~23) couple libertarian democrats looking to escape the liberal horrors of CT. Growing up my family had a lake cottage in vermont and I've found both northern states to be a source of comfort and beauty to me my whole life. Hiking, Skiing, and good beer. What more do you need? We went with NH over vermont mainly because of this movement and I hope that NH will continue to be a pioneer for personal liberty and we want to help be part of a community where we arnt the weirdos that look like liberals infront of our conservative friends and conservatives infront of our liberal friends. (I'm sure you all know the feeling  ::) )

That being said, we're looking along the southern border to still be within reach of CT family, but are also trying to avoid the city life. We want to be within reasonable distance (30 minutes?) of a big shopping center with target/etc but also feel like our little farm to-be with chickens and goats and etc is secluded within a small community. For this purpose we were thinking of living in one of the swanzeys.. we drove around on an expedition and loved the not-to-city city of keene, and its amazing how quickly density drops off the second you go into swanzey. Anyone from the area have any opinions on the town or others around keene?

What makes things harder is im a manufacturing engineer/QE wih a business degree and she's a public health major with a possible masters in human resources. Does anyone know if keene has job opportunities for us, or are we screwed and probably have to be within commuting distance of manchester?

Lastly our biggest concerns as to attacks on liberty are our rights to defend our lives and property without question and rights to that property to have animals and gardens as we see fit. How is NH doing when it comes to livestock and farms and the ability to sell and trade with neighbors and farmers markets, and how are the personal defense laws? I cant stand the idea that if someone is breaking into your house, threatening your family that you dont have every legal right to remove the threat as you see fit. If a guy has a knife, and i know that if he stabs me my family is in danger but i supposedly cant use a gun because its not "fair" to the criminal?? It drives me nuts! My right to feel safe  in my own home is important to me. Which is part of why NH is so important to me. I cant trust raising a family in CT.

Anyways, yea. TLDR; are the towns around keene good for a small-town little family farm feel, and does keene have the manufacturing and managment job opportunities or are we stuck looking for a town within commuting range of manchester?  Thanks guys! We look forward to when we can finally call it moving day and join the FSP community!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:30:31 am by mattrwagner »

lildog

Re: trying to decide where to move along southern border.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:53:29 am »

Take a look at Merrimack.  It's right between Manchester and Nashua so you have quick access to shopping.  Plenty of people in town raise livestock (Horses, goats, chickens, even bees).  And it's right off RT 3 so you have quick access heading south if you work outside Boston or want to head down to CT.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:18:04 pm »

Hello everyone. My fiancé and I are a young (~23) couple libertarian democrats looking to escape the liberal horrors of CT.

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you libertarians that are members of the Democratic Party or are you libertarians that support democratic principles such as voting?

I heard the CT governor won his election by promising to cut spending but then just pushed through 2 billion in tax increases. The largest companies in CT are thinking about leaving the state because the Democratic Party is about to drive it into the ground, according to the news.

In the Swanzey area, people tend to work in Keene or somewhere else in Cheshire County, in Brattleboro VT, or Greenfield or Northfield MA. You might find more jobs to your liking in the Lebanon, Concord, Portsmouth, or Nashua areas. Or Manchester, as you mentioned. Start your job search now and find out. http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=11718.msg154604#msg154604

If you are Democratic Party members looking to get involved in politics, I'd avoid a town like Swanzey or Merrimack as they are or often lean Republican. Every town on the NH/VT border from Hinsdale all the way up to at least Lebanon leans Democratic. The same thing is true for Winchester, Troy, Marlborough, Peterborugh, Roxbury, Harrisville, Hancock, Greenfield, Henniker, Bradford, and more. Heck, if you just need drive to work 4 or less days a week, you might be able to live in Winchester or Hinsdale and keep your jobs in CT without much trouble.

Farming and chickens are even allowed in Keene. The 3 Northern New England states are the top three states in the 2015 Locavore Index. NH has the least restrictive raw milk laws in the nation. http://www.strollingoftheheifers.com/locavoreindexpage/

NH has the best self-defense laws in the Northeast.

mattrwagner

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 02:48:58 pm »

Hello everyone. My fiancé and I are a young (~23) couple libertarian democrats looking to escape the liberal horrors of CT.

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you libertarians that are members of the Democratic Party or are you libertarians that support democratic principles such as voting?

I heard the CT governor won his election by promising to cut spending but then just pushed through 2 billion in tax increases. The largest companies in CT are thinking about leaving the state because the Democratic Party is about to drive it into the ground, according to the news.

In the Swanzey area, people tend to work in Keene or somewhere else in Cheshire County, in Brattleboro VT, or Greenfield or Northfield MA. You might find more jobs to your liking in the Lebanon, Concord, Portsmouth, or Nashua areas. Or Manchester, as you mentioned. Start your job search now and find out. http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=11718.msg154604#msg154604

If you are Democratic Party members looking to get involved in politics, I'd avoid a town like Swanzey or Merrimack as they are or often lean Republican. Every town on the NH/VT border from Hinsdale all the way up to at least Lebanon leans Democratic. The same thing is true for Winchester, Troy, Marlborough, Peterborugh, Roxbury, Harrisville, Hancock, Greenfield, Henniker, Bradford, and more. Heck, if you just need drive to work 4 or less days a week, you might be able to live in Winchester or Hinsdale and keep your jobs in CT without much trouble.

Farming and chickens are even allowed in Keene. The 3 Northern New England states are the top three states in the 2015 Locavore Index. NH has the least restrictive raw milk laws in the nation. http://www.strollingoftheheifers.com/locavoreindexpage/

NH has the best self-defense laws in the Northeast.

Thanks for the replies, both of you!

I'm not sure what I am anymore. You can read my other topic and let me know what that would make me. haha. I was smart and registered as independent, and I'm more willing to say I can't identify with either party. I do favor the democrats slightly more but only because of social issues. But I assure you I no longer care in voting for either, at least on the federal level, and probably won't. both have done enough damage in the past 12 years. I heard NH small town/local politics are generally pretty nicely nonpartisan though. It won't really matter the color of the town I land in because I'll be there fighting against any grabs against personal liberty no matter which color they come in.  Liberals are just expensive and wasteful and encourage welfare slugging over helping the people that actually need it and using local support and community efforts to get able-bodied individuals back on their feet. Conservatives on the other hand inherently annoy me because they have to try to force their religion into politics and thus on everyone else. “my book says I can’t like this so you can’t do it either” They’re the ones with the archaic stances on civil rights and the drug war and the U.S being the world police. So I basically dislike both a lot.

Anyways, Glad to hear about the self-defense and private farming laws. That’s what I like to hear. I didn’t even consider keeping my job in the move… Wouldn’t be –horrible- because I work 3 days a week as the engineer for the weekend shift. (3, 12 hour days). But Winchester or Swanzey are both ~2 hours from Eastford CT. Still, it is a temporary option if I don’t want to struggle with trying to find a place to live and a new job at the same time. That’s strangely comforting.

Speaking of working out of state. Don’t you lose out on the no income tax benefits if you work in a state with an income tax?
I just wasn’t sure if there was a big manufacturing presence outside of the Manchester area.

mattrwagner

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 03:56:18 pm »

We'll probably do the smart thing and rent for a year while scouting all the nooks and crannies of the state for the perfect town.
That being said, does anyone know any towns with good apartments that don't feel  like they're too much into a city, and allow pets? They can be smallish as it's just the two of us for now!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »

Looots of manufacturing engineer jobs in NH, especially in the Nashua area. I saw one today in Meredith, which is where a lot of people would love to live but isn't southern NH (it's on Lake Winnipesaukee).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up