Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening in New Hampshire  (Read 8090 times)

RP2016

Gardening in New Hampshire
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:04 pm »

Does anyone that currently lives in New Hampshire have a large edible garden? My wife and I would like to plant several different kinds of fruit trees and normal summer gardening plants like tomato plants, zucchini, ect.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
Re: Gardening in New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:19 am »

Does anyone that currently lives in New Hampshire have a large edible garden? My wife and I would like to plant several different kinds of fruit trees and normal summer gardening plants like tomato plants, zucchini, ect.

Grafton here.
My apple and pear trees are doing fine, but one of the peach trees I planted a couple of years ago died.  Grapes are getting overgrown.
The hops plants are producing well for the last few years.  Blueberries are OK too.

There was a late freeze in 2012 and things did not go as well.
But here's 16 pages of garden reports over at NHunderground:
http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=19577.msg343614#msg343614
(you may need to register to see the pictures)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:23:41 am by Jerry »

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:57:24 pm »

Lots of gardens up here.  The thing you have to keep in mind is NH is the granite state.  Soil that has never been tilled before is generally very rocky.  I removed several tons of rocks (by hand) from an area a few thousand sq/ft.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Grianne

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:32 pm »

Good gravy! That's very hard work. I am glad to see that you all do some gardening.  I am wanting to move to NH hopefully soon and I was debating to get some place close to town or more rural so I can get land to grow some things and I want to get a few goats maybe.  I am a nurse by trade and will be a nurse practitioner once I do get there, but to blow off some steam, I enjoy gardening.  I am just undecided where to go in the state to include state, gardening, animals, my job, and being with you wonderful folks.  Sure hope to get to meet you all sooner than later. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up