Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help...In search of the best multi-cultural community  (Read 2281 times)

EricT

Help...In search of the best multi-cultural community
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:01:12 pm »

Hey guys.

I'm a 65 year old retired engineer that's been living ex-pat in Central America since 2003. My wife is a Nicaraguan National. We are both libertarians and want to move north to join the free-state movement in New Hampshire. My wife has almost no English language skills. We are looking to establish a business in a strong multi-national, multi-cultural, laissez-faire community. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look?

freedomroad

Re: Help...In search of the best multi-cultural community
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:35 pm »

Hey guys.

I'm a 65 year old retired engineer that's been living ex-pat in Central America since 2003. My wife is a Nicaraguan National. We are both libertarians and want to move north to join the free-state movement in New Hampshire. My wife has almost no English language skills. We are looking to establish a business in a strong multi-national, multi-cultural, laissez-faire community. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look?

Manchester, Nashua and Salem are the only places in NH with blocks and blocks with some of the people speaking Spanish. Salem and Manchester are also very diverse when it comes to different types of European ancestry. Salem is known for it's very high Italian concentration for the region. Manchester is known especially for it's French and French Canadian populations. Manchester also has a sizable Greek population. Additionally, Manchester is the major refugee settlement community in NH so it has sizable populations from Bosnia Herzegovina and Somalia. Parts of Coos County have the occasional block where people speak French. Outside of those areas, English is the main language. Lowell, MA, with the same population as the largest city in Manchester is 15 - 20 minutes from both Nashua and Salem and one of the most diverse communities in New England according to heritage.

According to the 2010 Census, there were 106,519 people residing in the city. The racial makeup of the city was 60.3% White, 20.2% Asian American (12.5% Cambodian, 2.0% Indian, 1.7% Vietnamese, 1.4% Laotian, 0.6% Chinese, 0.2% Filipino, 0.1% Korean, 0.1% Thai, 0.1% Burmese), 6.8% African American, 0.3% Native American, 8.8% from other races, 3.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 17.3% of the population (11.3% of the population is Puerto Rican, 1.9% Dominican, 1.5% Colombian, 0.5% Mexican, 0.2% Salvadoran, 0.2% Guatemalan). Non-Hispanic Whites were 49.3% of the population in 2013,[33] compared to 92.5% in 1980.

There are about 6,000 Africans living in Lowell. They come from a wide range of countries including Liberia, Kenya, and Togo.

In 2010, Lowell had the highest proportion of residents of Cambodian origin of any place in the United States, at 12.5% of the population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell,_Massachusetts#Demographics

Perhaps the most Hispanic community in New England is Lawrence, MA. It borders Salem, NH. Lowell and Lawrence are where the Industrial Revolution in the US started. Lawrence is similar to NYC in it's amazingly impressive immigrant history.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau 2010 Census, the city's population is 76,377, the population density is 10,973.7 per square mile (4237/kmĀ²), and there are 27,137 households (25,181 occupied). The racial makeup of the city is 42.8% White (20.5% non-Hispanic), 7.6% Black or African American, 2.5% Asian (0.8% Vietnamese, 0.8% Cambodian), 1.3% American Indian or Alaskan Native, 0.1% (57 total) Hawaiian Native or Pacific Islander, 39.3% some other race, 6.5% two or more races, and 73.8% of the population is Hispanic or Latino (of any race) (39.6% Dominican, 22.2% Puerto Rican, 3.0% Guatemalan, 0.8% Ecuadorian, 0.7% Mexican, 0.6% Salvadoran, 0.5% Cuban) (U.S. Average: 12.5%).

TL:DR

There is no international city in NH. Manchester is the largest and most ethnically diverse city in NH. However, Lowell and Lawrence, MA are perhaps the most ethnically diverse cities in New England. Both are struggling a little. Lowell is around 15 minutes from Salem, NH and Lawrence borders Salem.

Generally, I recommend that people move to somewhere like Manchester at first. Rent a place for a year. Travel the state. See what you like. It is the largest city. It is walkable. It has a bus system. It has an airport. It has by far the most free staters of anywhere in NH. Liberty Forum, 1 of the 2 flagship events of the FSP, happens in Manchester.

http://nhlibertyforum.com/
WHEN March 5th - 8th 2015
WHERE Manchester, NH Radisson Hotel
Pages: [1]   Go Up