Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction and Good News  (Read 3695 times)

SFreeman

Introduction and Good News
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:00 am »

Hi guys,

I thought I would introduce myself here. I have been an FSP member since 2008. I live in the UK, so I have spent the last six years a) getting an education and b) maneuvering my career so that I can one day get a transfer (and thereby a visa) to the USA. I was really only shooting for 'USA' in general, thinking that NH specifically would be too much to hope for. As fortune would have it, the new company I start working for next month has an office in northern Massachusetts, close enough to commute to from southern New Hampshire (the Nashua area would be convenient I think). I'll need to work with them in the UK for at least a year or two before they'd transfer me, I should think, but I'm incredibly excited that I now have a defined path to get to NH.

Of course I would almost certainly have to come initially on a temporary worker visa. That would give me up to six years to work on getting an actual immigrant visa to stay indefinitely. I'm hoping to go to graduate school in the UK before I make my transfer (my new employers were keen on me doing so hopefully time off for classes won't be a problem) which should make things easier; those with advanced degrees get higher priority for visas than those with bachelors degrees only.

Here in England, I have been involved in the past with the running of the UK Libertarian Party (which, if anyone is wondering, has had zero electoral success) and now with the internationally-run advocacy site: Open Borders: The Case. I have made a post about immigration and the FSP here if anyone is interested, obviously an issue close to my heart.

Like many people, I think, I became attracted to libertarian ideas late in my time at (high) school; partly because of the wonder of economics, which I was taking a class in at the time, and partly because I stumbled upon YouTube videos of Libertarian Party (USA) speakers. From there I drifted towards anarcho-capitalism at university when I read David Friedman's The Machinery of Freedom - which was actually on our reading list!

Today I work in consulting for the pharmaceutical industry.

So that's me, I hope to be meeting many of you in the next couple of years! I'd be especially interested to hear from anyone who has taken or is on a similar path to immigrate to the USA or has anything to say about southern New Hampshire or the Nashua area specifically.

Regards,
Scott

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Introduction and Good News
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:05:38 am »

Welcome! This is exciting news! I get a lot out of the Open Borders site, so well done on that.

You may be interested in getting in touch with Liam & Samantha, who moved from the UK to the Nashua area. He's on the forum (or used to be) as "greap," so you could IM him.

Nashua is a nice enough town; parts of it are very Massachusetts-like, however. It has some of its own industry but is also a bedroom community for commuters into Mass. There are other, more residential towns around it. We know several libertarians in Hudson, which is the lowest-taxed town in the Mass. border area. Hudson also has some good state reps (and one pretty poor one, the current Speaker of the House Shawn Jasper).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Celestelline

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:39:00 pm »

Hi everyone ! My name is Emmie and I'm from upstate New York. How long has this  forum been operating? I am so glad it's here because I really want to move to New Hampshire in the next year to escape the tyranny that is our corrupt governor, Andrew Cuomo. I love New York dearly, but the taxes, the corruption, the cost of living is killing us .. Next weekend is Mother's Day and I plan on coming up to look at some properties!! Hoping to build a way cool earth sheltered home sometime in 2016! I am so excited to see this forum and hoping to build lifetimes friendships! All the best,

~~ Emmie

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »

Hi Emmie - That's great! Let us know when you're in state, and we can set up a meet 'n' greet: https://freestateproject.org/move/welcome-wagon
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Celestelline

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »

Thanks Jason ! I will.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:26 pm »

Emmie,

What's you're situation in NY?  Do you have family/house/job ect?  NY is a good state, but the NYC area wrecks it for everyone upstate.  Things would be pretty good if upstate could separated I think.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Celestelline

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 02:01:13 pm »

Emmie,

What's you're situation in NY?  Do you have family/house/job ect?  NY is a good state, but the NYC area wrecks it for everyone upstate.  Things would be pretty good if upstate could separated I think.
I agree! I dearly love NY but the liberal Cityfolk ruin it for us upstate conservatives. I am retired from  my job since having had a car accident in 2010. Looking to build an earth sheltered home and have a nice garden and a small farm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up