Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!  (Read 10685 times)

DrLupo

Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:12:12 am »

I signed up in 2005 to move. Life and marriage got in the way and I got stuck where I was for too long. I have been saving up and I am finally ready to make the move and settle down in one place for good.  I need some help narrowing down some towns to live in before I invest the time and money of driving up and exploring the areas. The hotels are not cheap up north like they are in NC.

Although my training is a chiropractor, I won't be doing traditional adjusting style chiro.  I currently work at one of the best functional medicine practices in the country and I would like to use my training up in NH.  Basically I give drug free options to folks to help manage their Diabetes, thyroid and auto-immune disorders. We use very comprehensive blood work ups and then design diet/lifestyle and nutrition to the findings.  This is pretty cutting edge stuff and very few doctors do it because the training is so intense.

I tell you this so you can understand what I am looking for. This work is so specialized it allows me to work in cash only and not to have to work in the insurance model. Because I mainly work with patients who have chronic conditions, their care plans can run anywhere from 3 months to 2 years.  The case fees can be anywhere from $1000-$12,000 depending how much they need. 

So I need to live close to a town with older folks who have chronic conditions and money.  I do not want to live in a major town, and I would really like to be up north enough to see a wonderful view.  I really want to wake up , look out my window and see a breathtaking view.

I would love some ideas where to move please.

Thanks,

Tarrin

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
Re: Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:41:37 pm »

All I can recommend is what my wife and I did. Start off in Manchester, and from there you'll have easy access to explore the rest of New Hampshire. Once you find the right spot, moving is easy. It's a lot easier to explore New Hampshire from a day drive than from North Carolina.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:47:19 pm »

That's great, Tarrin! For some reason I thought you'd already moved once before, but you've been here often enough. You might want to consider the Lakes region. Somehow it combines people with money (like Romney) and cheap housing. Mostly because it has no industry.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

DrLupo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »

Can you see the mountains from the lake region?  I really would like an amazing view like I see when I drive to Porcfest.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:04 am »

Can you see the mountains from the lake region?  I really would like an amazing view like I see when I drive to Porcfest.

Yep. Were you at either of the Gunstock Porcfests? They were in the Lakes Region. Mt. Major is one of the peaks on the south side of Winnipesaukee; some of us hiked it one year. The peaks are not as high or majestic as the Presidentials, but there are plenty of great views. For that matter, there are great views here in the Upper Valley as well, even though most of the mountains are under 2000 ft.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

DrLupo

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:29:00 am »

Jason, I am still getting a handle on the geography, what is the upper valley area?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:48:37 am »

Jason, I am still getting a handle on the geography, what is the upper valley area?

Lebanon, Hanover, & surrounding towns near the Connecticut River, but north of Claremont: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_River#The_Upper_Connecticut_River:_New_Hampshire_and_Vermont

DrLupo

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:46:30 pm »

:) :)  Thanks Jason that helps.  I am trying to narrow down about 5 towns to visit since my explore time is limited. Any other ideas from anyone are also welcome.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:36:18 pm »

I have to say I am partial to North Country.

Wife and I lived in Franconia for 3 years. Loved it. Exactly what you're looking for. We had a perfect view of Canon Mountain and Lafeyette. We've recently moved up to Whitefield. Franconia and Whitefield are pretty sleepy, but Littleton and Lancaster are thriving, despite not "looking" like anything on the map.

I really think North Country is underrated. There are about a dozen or more free staters up north. So, we're nowhere near as huge as down south, but the living up here is fine.

DrLupo

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 10:18:36 pm »

I am looking really hard at woodstock, lincoln and berlin.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:59:19 am »

The Lincoln/Woodstock area is really really nice. Right in the heart of the mountains. Lot's of restaurants and outdoor activities. Everything you need. You'd also be within a stone's throw of the entire state, really. I would choose that area before I'd choose Berlin.

I know of a free stater couple that lives in Lincoln, but I can't remember their names. I don't think they're very active on the internet. I met them a couple of years ago at Liberty Forum. They're in their early 30's. Young professionals.

DrLupo

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »

I am torn, I feel like if I move that far north I won't be around any cool social stuff, but man it is so pretty there, Lincoln really is calling me. Why did you move away?

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:46:15 pm »

I have to say I am partial to North Country.

Wife and I lived in Franconia for 3 years. Loved it. Exactly what you're looking for. We had a perfect view of Canon Mountain and Lafeyette. We've recently moved up to Whitefield. Franconia and Whitefield are pretty sleepy, but Littleton and Lancaster are thriving, despite not "looking" like anything on the map.

I really think North Country is underrated. There are about a dozen or more free staters up north. So, we're nowhere near as huge as down south, but the living up here is fine.

Tarrin, welcome home, finally!

There's one point about the North Country that you might find useful: the U.S. Olympic Ski Team. Their official team physicians are at Alpine Clinic in Franconia, and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Dr. Chen and associates. Even local folks who need worker's compensation-type surgery do their best to get treatment there.

I'm in Lancaster. I wouldn't suggest Berlin, but don't let that dissuade you from doing all the research you need to do about the right place for your services. Traditional chiropractic is underserved here, but I know that's not what your'e interested in. With the grand hotels, massage therapy in spa-type settings has a market, and there are more spas here than you would think could exist, but the tourism market seem to make it work.

Mountain View Grand, Mount Washington Resort, Bretton Wood...

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:53 am »

I am torn, I feel like if I move that far north I won't be around any cool social stuff, but man it is so pretty there, Lincoln really is calling me. Why did you move away?

My wife and I aren't really that "social." Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that there are tons of liberty activists in the state. That's the main reason why I moved to New Hampshire. But I don't really see free staters as one big fraternity.

For me, the day to day living needs to be optimal. And I have that up north. Lots of trees and mountains. Very few people. I can totally understand, however, if optimal living means being around a lot of people. We're all different that way. Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself what's more important.

That being said, no matter what part of the state you live in, you're going to continue to see an influx of new liberty activists moving to your area, even up north.

DrLupo

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:23:04 pm »

Thanks for the wise words. My activism has slowed, mainly I do passive activism like youtube or writing.  Had I moved up 5 years ago I would have been on the front lines like the folks in keene.  These days I prefer to just live free and hang out with the social events once a month.  I think I would rather live in complete beauty 99% of the time and just drive an hour to hang out once in a while instead of moving close to everyone in a place that I don't really want to live. 

Also cool about the ski team, one thing I picked up over the years is helping knee issues.  I worked at one of the best knee clinics in the east coast.  They specialized in saving people from knee surgeries with drug free methods.  It was really advanced stuff but it worked great.  I could probably make a fortune if I set up a knee clinic around all those ski places.

Thanks for the advice, anything else you know about that area let me know.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything